collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G4 compared to previous generations  (Read 9390 times)

Offline RandomPony

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
Re: G4 compared to previous generations
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2012, 06:18:54 AM »
Yeah! I noticed that too, but I don't give two hoots and holler about it anyway as long as I have it, lol.

I mean I have a Twilight Sparkle that is literary two-tone! The head color doesn't match the body color.......Anyway its not really Hasbro's fault , because you got to keep this in mind who's making the toys, and its no one in the U.S.....Yeah! The Chinese! There doing crappy work on our products and it makes the company look bad!
:frolic:

aerie_star

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2012, 06:32:59 AM »
I must have been too young when I got my G1s because I really do not remember opening them (I even have video from a birthday party where I got one, but I don't actually remember opening one).

That being said, I find G4s to be really annoying to open. I hate ripping into boxes and arguing with them over my toys. I got the Canterlot Ball set for Christmas from my sister's BF (he's a total nice guy ^^), and it took me like three HOURS to get all six ponies and Spike out. And Rarity still had tape around her middle for several hours after until I could find a sharp object that I thought wouldn't damage her to cut it off.  :(

Offline CrystalCrown

• Flamez o' Justice
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • You don't need a license to drive a sandwich!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2012, 01:47:03 PM »
i agree, the packaging is a pain! i especially hate the plastic bit wrapped around the front leg, its so hard to get off without scissors, and with scissors its hard for me to cut it off without making and sort of gash or dent in the leg!

their hair is bad too! so far i got 3 ponies from wave 4 and a fashion style fluttershy with dry, stiff, frizzy hair! some ponies even have dirt, marks, or smudged paint in the packaging! if g4 had better quality i'd like the toys so much more!
:fox: :rainbow: F is for friends who do stuff together, U is for you and me! N is for anywhere and anytime at all down here in the deep blue sea!  :frog:

Offline bladed

• Dabbles Pony
  • Gotta hit some wasabi mayo to settle the nerves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2012, 01:54:46 AM »
Actually the plastic has cellotape on it - pick at it, peel it off and take the plastic off with no pain, there may be a litttle scratch if you slip but on display its barely noticable!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Okiedokieloki

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2012, 12:16:49 PM »
I really haven't had much trouble at all with opening my G4s....Some wild hair on a few but that was generally easy to fix

Biggest problem I've had is with the ponies in Rarity's Carousel Boutique. They were stuck really hard into a plastic base that had a really good hold on their legs

Offline Lyra

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2012, 12:42:48 PM »
I have had them with good hair so far but wow the misprinted eyes drive me crazy  >_< even if it is only slight!

I really like the g4 and enjoy the small size because I like pocket-size toys. I like the different 'attitude' and personality the different eyes give them. But they have not been very imaginative with poses and colours, what a shame. Hopefully thing will improve, we already have babies and a boy pony on the way! I'd like to see tranparent glitter ponies and less pink. (I like pink, but every pony seems to have a least a pink streak...)

Yeah! I noticed that too, but I don't give two hoots and holler about it anyway as long as I have it, lol.

I mean I have a Twilight Sparkle that is literary two-tone! The head color doesn't match the body color.......Anyway its not really Hasbro's fault , because you got to keep this in mind who's making the toys, and its no one in the U.S.....Yeah! The Chinese! There doing crappy work on our products and it makes the company look bad!

But ...it is Hasbro's fault  :lol: , there is high demand for the toys, they need to produce toys very quickly (and cheaply) at the cost of quality. I don't want to start an argument but why don't Hasbro pay some US workers the same wage to make their product; among many reasons minimum wage laws - I think it is unfair to blame the country for the problem. Hasbro specifies the way they want *their* factory run, it is just based in China. Hasbro is satisfied with the quality of the ponies because they are *continuing* to make so many ponies with factory flaws... (I'll stop ><)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 12:49:05 PM by Lyra »
Lyra Silvertongue - not Heartstrings!

Offline Starbright

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2012, 03:35:22 PM »
I decided to keep my G4s mib to avoid these issues. :P
Collecting G1 and G3 since 2005  :biggrin:

Offline aellos

• Girl with the box
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Reluctant warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2012, 03:38:05 PM »
Tinsel aside- I like the hair- but I agree, there's so much more, and softer stuff on the previous gens. Especially G3.

Though the fashion style ponies have WONDERFUL hair (after you condition and trim...)

||DevART||Tumblr||Red Pepper Ref||Flickr||
Don't fall reluctant heroes, I want to be brave like you.

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2012, 03:47:20 PM »
I'm an old hand at opening packages because I also collect other toys. If you've ever tried to get into toys now adays it's a hassle more than it's fun.

Tools required: Exacto Knife and a good pair of wire cutters - go pro and get some tools people :)
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline hlbmlp

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2012, 04:13:19 PM »
i only have 7 so far... and two came in a trade already depackaged, but yeah.. the packaging is annoying... not as bad as those evil G3 boxes! (i have scars from carrying them in grocery bags on my legs!)
I havent had problems with hair yet, but my poor Plumsweet has an extra hole right above her tail hole! It looks like there was an airbubble in the casting process, but it's sad... :<  and slightly awkward!
My Etsy . My Blog

If i owe you feedback pm me, my brain is not always here.

thanks kiwisquirtbottle for helping with codes!!! <3

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2012, 04:13:46 PM »
I guess I've got lucky, our g4s have great hair.

all except our Fashion Style Applejack who has AMaZING HAIR!!  its sooooo soft... im afraid to touch it almost... it's like fresh silk... wow. 
< /reverie>

Offline Chi

• Trade Count: (+64)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Shame on them, mistreating such lovely flowers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2012, 04:34:57 PM »
The plastic strip is irritating and actually makes the box hair problem worse, I agree. Though I haven't really come across any G4s with really oily and nasty hair. I have had a fair share of rather wild box hair though.

To be honest I think there's more problems with paintwork and molding than hair... apart from the few that have managed to get unicorns with hairy horns D:
I've come across a few with oily-like hair that does not wash off. I've tried every shampoo and dish soap I can find and my FS Twilight's hair remains oily and lifeless...And stringy.. :/
Still LF: Blue-haired G2 Ivy..Help me find my childhood friend!
Have you seen her? :awake:

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2012, 04:40:23 PM »
Hmm I never thought to compare G4 hair to previous generations! Let me do that right now... *hops up and rubs some display pony hair*

Hmm, G1 Fizzy is pretty dry... Ooo G1 Confetti is nice and soft! *rubs G4 heads* Hmm. Feels about the same, to me!
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline tehrin

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2012, 06:54:51 PM »
The hair isn't actually very different. It does have a bit of a different texture than original G1 hair, but at the same time, all the G1 ponies staring at me right now are almost as old as I am!  The only difference I've found is the very light pink used on Fluttershy. It tends to be very hard and less silky than other colors... so it's prone to "frizzing" I guess.

But the bonus with the G4s is that althought they are a pain to open, the back cards are easily salvaged. Poor G1s and their ripped bubbles!

(also click for my sales here. :3)

cesprins

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2012, 08:32:39 PM »
Yes, I do like that some of the backcards make for good back drops for displaying ponies!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal