collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Skillsets you don't have that you''d like to, or are learning?  (Read 9936 times)

Offline GazeboMouse

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Skillsets you don't have that you''d like to, or are learning?
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2012, 01:42:23 AM »
I'd like to sew with a sewing machine, I've got one but it's been busted for years.  And I'm scared of it anyway, that foot pedal thing, terrifying!
I bodge everything else by hand. I want to get good enough at patchwork too, I do that by hand, proper English style, have visions of making patchwork quilts that in 300 years time will take pride of place in national museums, but everything I make is scruffy and I don't show anyone!
I have wanted to learn Japanese since I was 3, have been trying to speak fluent Urdu for 15 years, and also want to learn Maori and Yoruba.
And I want to write and illustrate children's fiction.
But I am skint, work 2 jobs, and have the attention span of a chipmunk so don't stand much chance of being proficient at any of them...

NumiTuziNeru

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2012, 06:04:00 AM »
While my ability to change instruments on GarageBand is hopefully somewhat decent, I have all the musical and compositional skills of a narcotic chipmunk living on a council estate.

That's none. In case it wasn't obvious.

Sigh.

Rocketeer

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2012, 06:22:05 AM »
I want to learn how to play a string instrument, specifically a cello.

They're so expensive, though :(

Offline starrypawz

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted
    • View Profile
    • http://starrypawz.deviantart.com
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2012, 08:40:45 AM »
I'd like to be able to sew, but me having barley any coordination at the best of times due to being dyspraxic makes that hard
I'd love to be able to paint properly but similar reasons prevent me, I really want to learn how to do watercolour
And I'd like to be able to do semi decent HTML, all I can do is bold text, change colours etc. XD
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

If you ever see a NARU starrypawz on Ebay it is in no way connected with me! Ebay handle is stella_lupus

Offline VanillaBean

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.VanillaTwist.deviantart.com
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2012, 12:27:27 PM »
I'm planning to teach myself sculpting. :)
I love making 2D art, but I've always been wonky when it comes to using clay. I've drawn up loads of designs for models & am really eager to start making them & learning on the job. It should be interesting.  x3

Hunting for G2 MLP & Pretty Pony Club magazines! :)

Offline DoctorMowinckel

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • A good companion in a weird sort of way.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.edwardrmowinckel.com
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2012, 12:46:16 PM »
While my ability to change instruments on GarageBand is hopefully somewhat decent, I have all the musical and compositional skills of a narcotic chipmunk living on a council estate.

That's none. In case it wasn't obvious.

Sigh.

I was the same way with music. I am not musically inclined, at all. Given that I work in the music industry and play bass, you may think that I am, but I'm so not. I had to beat my head against a wall for the longest time to understand theory. It took a long time, and I didn't pick up an instrument until I had a solid theory background, and understood music well. Don't think 'I don't get it, it's not for me', that's a defeatist attitude.

I don't believe in 'natural talents' so much as I believe in events in your life that give you an inclination for things. There are certain things you do, and do well, that will set you up for other things, things that have similar patterns that may not be easily evident. I started doing Muay Thai a year ago, and by September of last year, I was teaching Friday classes. Years of hockey and having previously worked as a personal trainer set me up for the discipline and some basic principles of picking up Muay Thai.

My mystery talent is photography. I have no idea what set me up to be a good photographer, but I bought my first real camera in June of last year, by October I had a darkroom and had gotten some shots licensed. I don't have a 'natural talent' for photography, I'm sure there's something I've done in the past that has made me capable of excelling at it. Probably working in the music industry as an audio engineer. Audio engineers know the ins and outs of the gear they're working with, every part of it, when I picked up a camera, my first thought was to learn the ins and outs of it. Getting good shots is just practise, and my first roll of film wasn't bad, from there it just got better. Maybe I somehow associate the patterns with good music with the patterns of a good picture, I don't know, but something definitely set me up for photography.

Music, however, I had no inclination for. Getting good at theory, and learning bass was (and still is) work. I did not get it, for the longest time, it was a mystery, even while I was learning it. I had no overnight 'eureka' moment, I developed my understanding very slowly, but with a lot of stick-to-it-iveness, I picked it up.

Don't think 'I can't do it, I don't get it', that's a cop out. If you want to do it, beat your head against a wall till you get it. You'll eventually get it. Greatness isn't defined by who's the best when they start, it's defined by those who stick with it and make it an art.

I have a blag about ponies.

Offline Ginger

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • TE Bright Eyes Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2012, 02:18:35 PM »
I'd like to learn how to play the violin and how to dance ballet. It's just something I wanted to do since I was a really young girl and never have.

Right now I'm learning/practicing jewelry making. Also if this counts, I'm becoming fairly efficient with a microscope through my college courses (not amazing, but I used to have SUCH a hard time with this. Also just figured out why I see double through them- I don't have a dominant eye XD) and I'm going to start dissecting stuff. >D

Wanted | Flickr | Tumblr | PonyDex

SparklersOasis

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2012, 02:24:46 PM »
I've got way too many hobbies as is, but currently I've been getting started in customization of ponies, I'm working on improving my leatherwork (carving, tooling and wet-molding), and I'm always working on improving/experimenting in cooking.  One thing I wish I had more room for, sewing.  I got a sewing machine as a wedding present, but have yet to have a decent spot to get it out and start experimenting!

Offline TickledPink

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+98)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2012, 05:52:34 PM »
I'm learning to write in Tolkien Elvish! :D

I wish I had the patience to learn to sew, but I just don't have it...which is a shame because i have  a very nice sewing machine gathering dust :C
The weirdo formally known as ImmortalPanda

SparklersOasis

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2012, 05:54:18 PM »

Epic!  And, you have the patience to learn Elvish but not sew... :shocked:   :silly:

Offline TickledPink

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+98)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2012, 05:58:41 PM »

Epic!  And, you have the patience to learn Elvish but not sew... :shocked:   :silly:

Yeah I dont get that one either. LMFAO!
The weirdo formally known as ImmortalPanda

Offline JazzMatazz

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • I'll interrogate the cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2012, 07:43:50 PM »
I'm learning how to cook, I grew up in a family who doesn't like seasoning!! My ex-boyfriend introduced me to REAL food. And now its something if I have the time I'm trying to cook something new
My Wishlist  Instagram
 Sun, Ultra Moon  FC: 5069-4168-6248  SW-8466-0948-3971

Offline Jocelyn

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2012, 07:52:49 PM »
For me, it's sculpting. I'm learning to sculpt busts of people with Sculpey clay. I did one that actually looks like a person, a specific and real person, from every angle! So that's got me all excited and ready to leap into next projects. I've always had a really deep fascination with marble busts and sculptures, but up until now I've been far too timid and nervous to actually experiment with clay. But somehow, I got courage and was successful...Once I get good enough at clay and carving out of Sculpey, I wanna move on to actual marble sculptures...That's where my goals lie! Shoot, I'm gonna be making the next Nike of Samothrace, just you watch! :P

I would also like to master watercolors, another thing I've always admired and adored but couldn't do myself, until just recently where it just started to 'click'. Last year, I was really getting the hang of the medium, and started to paint well...But then I started art school, and all we've done here is draw, draw, draw. Which is great, since drawing is first and foremost for me, but I just feel like I lost all the progress I was making last year.

Offline Rhini

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • MOC Mimic
  • In Ponyland, all the food is poison!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2012, 09:13:00 PM »
Sewing with a machine is definitely up there. I hand sew right now and while it's calming, it just takes exponentially more time.

I'd also like to get into learning about restoration work, as it's always been something I've been interested in.

I would also really like to get into cake decorating. I think it would be easy for me to get into, being an artist, and cake is my favorite food so it's a good fit!

Offline PandaBerryInSpace

• Trade Count: (+72)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2012, 09:22:40 AM »
I really want to learn to sew. I can sew a little bit, but I'm not very good at it, and I would love to get better. I want to be able to make custom doll clothes and plushies. :D

I also want to learn to crochet or knit. My mom can crochet, and she's always wanted to teach me, but it never really happened. Knitting would be fun too, though, especially since it's something different then what my mom does. XD

Avatar art by January Joy, siggy art by DreamCatcher! Thank you so much! <3

ACNL FC: 3754 6763 3133

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal