collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Skillsets you don't have that you''d like to, or are learning?  (Read 9916 times)

Offline DoctorMowinckel

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • A good companion in a weird sort of way.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.edwardrmowinckel.com
Skillsets you don't have that you''d like to, or are learning?
« on: February 24, 2012, 02:13:14 PM »
I recently picked up my sewing machine, and decided to relearn how to use it. Sewing, and tailoring is something I've always wanted to get a grip on, but have never been able to.

I've quickly regressed to my initial conclusion that sewing machines are dark magics, and after losing a sizeable chunk of skin from the top of the nail on my pinkie finger, I've also decided they're not to be trusted. Fortunately my brothers wife is a seamstress, thoroughly hospitable, and owes me a favour, so I'm sure she'll be willing to help me figure this damn thing out.

How 'bout you guys, what skills are you trying to pick up, or what do you want to pick up, but haven't started yet?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 02:15:15 PM by DoctorMowinckel »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I have a blag about ponies.

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
Re: Skillsets you don't have that you''d like to, or are learning?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 02:36:39 PM »
Not really anything I can think of off hand. If I want to learn something I do. I don't tend to put it off.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline cuddlebuggy

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 03:16:28 PM »
I'd love to learn to sew myself. My Mom made many of my clothes when I was a kid and I never really learned how. I think taking lessons would be the best way for me.

Thanks to Whippetluv for my sig representing my two girls!

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 03:41:49 PM »
Guitar. I have one. A nice one, an ESP. I can play some things, but I have problems with my left hand. It has "stupid days" and whenever I've really tried to learn more hardcore it frustrates me. I have good form but my fingers won't move quick enough for the stuff I want to play. If only I was more into doom metal, I'd probably be fine :lol:

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline cloud_weaver

• Trade Count: (+126)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 04:09:16 PM »
Does a different language count?  I'd love to speak Spanish, or any language for that matter.  Also, I'd love to know ASL (American Sign Language).  :)

Thank you LunaCat for my Kirin Cloud Weaver!
Cloudie’s Wish List
- http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,396949
Cloudie’s TRADE List
- http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,396962

Offline ashes

• Forever Orange Site Mod
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 04:20:47 PM »
I've been trying to learn guitar, as my husband is a bit more musical than me and I think it would be great if we could learn a few songs to play together (I do know how to play the piano, but the guitar is just a whole different ball of wax for me).   It's been something I've tinkered with on and off for the past 4 years or so.  I can really only play one song.

thanks to jupi for my avi and harvestmoongirl for my siggy!

Check out my website: artbyashes.com

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 04:52:17 PM »
Does being 30 and just now learning to drive a stick shift count?  XD  I'm taking back up floral design.  My grandfather was a florist for 40 years, and it's a secret dream of mine to own my own floral shop like he did.

I'm also trying to learn how to quilt right now myself.  My former neighbor and friend have started a little SnB, and she's teaching me the basics.  This comes in handy because my friends are reproducing like rabbits and always need a new blanket.  :)

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline DoctorMowinckel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 05:01:11 PM »
Yay, my brothers wife said she'd be willing to help me be less bad with my sewing machine.

The end game is to make fancy dresses for my ponies. I'm interested in fashion design, and figure starting small would be a cost effective way to learn. I'm sure sewing things for such small toys will present a lot of difficulties, but it'd be part of the learning process.

I've been trying to learn guitar, as my husband is a bit more musical than me and I think it would be great if we could learn a few songs to play together (I do know how to play the piano, but the guitar is just a whole different ball of wax for me).   It's been something I've tinkered with on and off for the past 4 years or so.  I can really only play one song.

I hear that! I'm not sure if you can tell by looking at my avatar, but I play a particular, and large four stringed instrument commonly found in jazz bands. Playing vertically, I get, I understand that. Put a bass guitar, or regular guitar in front of me, and I don't know what to do!

I'd like to pick up piano, too. I applied to music school, for orchestration in particular. They gave me a rudimentary music theory test to make sure I knew theory (nailed it), then they asked 'So what do you play?', I told them I play stand up bass, they said 'That's nice, but you have to play keys to get into this school'. Part of the regimen includes taking a full orchestrated score, and playing it for piano, on the spot. So, yeah, you gotta play keys, haha.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 05:05:42 PM by DoctorMowinckel »

Offline DaffyDilly

• Daffy loves mints
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+85)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 12:18:05 PM »
I would like to learn to sing. I might actually be able to, but after a girl in primary school - we were 10 - said "you can't sing that part because you aren't good enough", I've always been too scared to try in case she was right! Plus I used to play the violin and remember Dad telling me that I was tone deaf so you know, I might sing to myself and think I'm OK but be perforating somebody's ear drums in the next room!

One day I will try, because there is a lady down the road who is an opera singer and she gives lessons (not specifically in opera) and my sister used to have them with her. At the moment though, I just can't stretch to the extra expense.  :cry:

Offline clones_rebellion

• Evil Swap Queen
  • Trade Count: (+422)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 12:59:32 PM »
I would like to learn how to cook. Like Really cook. I can do simple stuff and I do make a mean lasagna, but I would like to learn how to use spices and not use recipes, just cook to taste.... Does that make any sense?

I would also like to learn how to banter. (How weird is that?) I can come up with the greatest one liners.... about fifteen minutes after the fact.... and I just end up feeling dumb.... *phooey*

~My Wishlist!~ Thank you Moonbreeze for my Atlas and Bastet siggy!

Offline terabithianprince

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • The last pages are for you
    • View Profile
    • Pony Pals
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 09:25:49 PM »
I want to learn how to make custom my little ponies and draw better. Also learn Japanese.

Offline DoctorMowinckel

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2012, 09:32:14 PM »
I would like to learn how to cook. Like Really cook. I can do simple stuff and I do make a mean lasagna, but I would like to learn how to use spices and not use recipes, just cook to taste.... Does that make any sense?

That's just practise. Following recipes is a start, but after you've followed enough recipes, you learn what you like and don't like, and what flavours work well with each other. Just have to experiment. Don't be shy about trying out a new dish on your own, if it doesn't come out well no one has to know about it but you!

Here's a list of common cooking mistakes that's helped me out; http://www.cookinglight.com/cooking-101/techniques/cooking-questions-tips-00400000064986/print-index.html

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Sugarberry is SWEETEST Pony!
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2012, 09:38:26 PM »
I would like to learn Spanish.  My my mother-in-law speaks fluent Spanish but none of her kids ever picked it up.  I have no other second language skills and would love to maybe even learn a little German and Italian.  I would also like to take English riding lessons some time in my life.  I ride western and do mostly games and rec riding.  I would like to try something with a little more discipline.  That and the fact that I actually enjoyed the little time I spent while in college in an english saddle. 

Main Wishlist*Card List*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

Offline foalpatrol

• Hello, Clarice
  • Trade Count: (+42)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2012, 10:23:03 PM »
I'm trying to teach myself physics.  I took it at school but never really paid much attention.  It's not an easy thing to teach yourself!

Offline Sarah-Bee

• Alice Cooper's Minion Pony
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2012, 01:33:52 AM »
I can sew basic things but would love to be able to do this to a really high standard. I would also love to be able to sing, play guitar and do ALL the DIY I could ever need in my home!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal