collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How come Applejack is the only pony that has stood over time?  (Read 8025 times)

Offline littlexflitter

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sparklesugar.com/
Re: How come Applejack is the only pony that has stood over time?
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2012, 10:43:40 AM »
Applejack hasn't exactly existed across all generations completely unchanged. G3 Applejack was still apple-themed, but a very different-looking pony.

I wish we had an official Hasbro "why" as to the choices for the Mane 6 ponies and what-not, but at this point it's a really hot topic and everyone has opinions but little is proven. Oh well~

Offline RAMChYLD

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Geeky pony wrangler.
    • View Profile
    • http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Tropers/RAMChYLD
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2012, 10:45:44 AM »
I agree that it's because her name is the easiest to remember. Up until being reintroduced to MLP via Tales, Applejack was the only pony whose name stuck in my mind.
I'm cataloging FIM pony product codes! Check it out! | My Wish list. Updated in real time. | My G4 Army register

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2012, 11:11:37 AM »
I'd always read it was just a myth that Hasbro didn't have the copyrights to the rest of the ponies. They have to make a new trademark when they make a new character anyway so they could just as well renew a trademark to an old character. It would take the same amount of time and cost the same amount of money. That only proven fact right now is that Hasbro simply has no interest in reviving all of the old characters.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2012, 11:52:13 AM »
The trademark/copyright argument always struck me as a little bit of nonsense...waffle issued by Hasbro so that they could do what they like....there are so many holes in the legally of what this claims

AppleJack was missing from the MLP line longer than Firefly after all [who had her late line movie release]...it strikes me more that a lot of time and money was invested in ponies such as Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash in G3 and 3.5 therefore Hasbro were not willing to give them up...and they were probably right...G3 characters were established in the minds of some of their target audience...5 and 6 years old may know "Pinkie" how many know "Surprise"?

In honestly...I think Apple Jack is a nice clean easy pony to run with - easy to fit into a story and a community - simple colours - not complicated - all in a good fit! Plus she is cute! Lol
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2012, 02:26:36 PM »
I agree with you about Pinkie.  I always felt that Hasbro was pushing Pinkie pretty hard even at the beginning of G3.  She's their token pink pony and we all know the prevailing wisdom about little girls and pink.  So I can entirely see Hasbro saying "You *will* use Pinkiepie."  What I don't get is redesigning Twilight into Twilight Sparkle.  I mean, they could have had another pink pony and the name is the same except they added Sparkle at the end.  Did they think having "sparkle" in her name would actually sell more ponies?  I personally find the "sparkle" irritating.  I'm really glad that they usually just call her "Twilight" in the show.

Offline Wardah

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2012, 03:52:07 PM »
I think the adding "Sparkle" to Twilight's name had more to do with avoiding confusion with a certain book series.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2012, 04:06:35 PM »
That could be the case I suppose, though I don't really see how it would be a problem. Everything is pretty blatently tagged "My Little Pony."  Either way, it's the "sparkle" choice itself that turns me off.  Don't get me wrong, I like her as a character.  But why couldn't she have been Twilight Mist or Twilight Star or Twilight Magic.  I guess it could have been worse.  She could have been Twilight Twinkle.

Offline gemini_pony

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2012, 04:22:35 PM »
I always found this odd...I mean I know with Transformers this is the reason they always use the same names and characters so this does not happen.

toralei

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2012, 04:58:51 PM »
I'm skeptical on Hasbro's claim on this, to be honest. The retro dolly mix ponies were released in 2010 and Firefly was on of the characters..

Moonstorm

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2012, 11:29:26 AM »
I think this might interest people :D
I found it again today so I'll just post it.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20101225153735/mlp/images/4/4f/FANMADE_History-concept.jpg

cesprins

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2012, 02:35:36 PM »
I'm skeptical on Hasbro's claim on this, to be honest. The retro dolly mix ponies were released in 2010 and Firefly was on of the characters..

I agree, I think it was more an overall color scheme thing with a combination of design/promotion. Character designs get changed all the time in production. I imagine as well that they weren't interested in recreating g1, they wanted to make something new. I think "oh it's copyrights" is just to placate people.

I'd rather have a good show with new characters, than a new show that's limited to trying to be something that already was.

Offline shabbychicdee

• Trade Count: (+85)
  • MOC Mimic
  • professional thrifter and treasure hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2012, 02:37:41 PM »
I would also like to know how Hasbro "lost" the copyright to their own characters.  And it can't be just Applejack and spike they kept otherwise how were they able to release the 25th birthday sets of the collector ponies and the rainbow ponies.  I mean just imagine how even more popular the show would be if it contained more G1 characters not just as main cast but also as background characters.  They'd have been taking my money right from my pockets from the very beginning.  Oh, if they only had kept Glory, Moondancer, Medley, Bowtie, and Firefly or the original Twilight I'd be in pony heaven.

I also have to agree that I personally never liked Applejack all that much.  Orange is my least favorite color.  Though, I have to admit that she has grown on me since they made her a western "cowgirl."

yes everthing you say hun.
i didnt like AJ as a kid untill i started collecting as an adult i love her now.
i would pay big time to purchase glory and co. in g4 pose and see them in the backbround of the toons.
you mentioned the best g1's to be g4.
also i dont understand how they could lose something that was theirs all along, i dont beleave them.

seeking retro MLP and Care Bear tin lunch boxes
wanted list
for trade

Offline Sonata

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Shop
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2012, 02:51:03 PM »
It's also interesting to remark that other ponies that apparently were "made" when the FIM series appeared might have had some inspiration on other designs from previous generations. Have you ever wondered how Rarity (although this character already existed in the G3 ponies) looks just like G1's Majesty? Or how Twilight Sparkle looks reminds slightly of G1 Twilight? And how Fluttershy (who also existed on G3 ponies) looks much alike G2 Sky Skimmer? I have wondered about these myself a few months back and I just find it really interesting :D

Offline MrPony

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2012, 04:15:19 PM »
They kept more than just AJ and Spike. They kept Miny, Butterscotch, Cotton Candy and Lickity Split. And i`m sure there are more I can`t think of.

Offline PandaBerryInSpace

• Trade Count: (+72)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2012, 04:23:54 PM »

Yeah, I was just about to say that. I've heard that Hasbro simply lied about the copyright problems because they would have preferred using more recent designs... But it's all just rumors.

Avatar art by January Joy, siggy art by DreamCatcher! Thank you so much! <3

ACNL FC: 3754 6763 3133

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal