collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How come Applejack is the only pony that has stood over time?  (Read 8053 times)

Offline Psivampyr

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
How come Applejack is the only pony that has stood over time?
« on: February 24, 2012, 08:58:33 AM »
I don't know if this was discussed before, but why can there still be a AJ when no other "G1" ponies can still be around for some copywrite issue? She's just the same as she was 20+ years ago. And according to that chart of pony evolution Sparkler is Rarity's ancestor, but I always figured it was Majesty since they are both "royal" ponies. Just curious cuz I been out of the pony loop for a while. Thanks for reading this.

Offline kittybethy

• Trade Count: (+266)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Life is way to precious to spend it being cool!
    • View Profile
Re: How come Applejack is the only pony that has stood over time?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 09:04:11 AM »
Applejack is awesome and people relate to her.

She had lasted in every generation except for G2 (to my knowledge). 

She is just the pony who represents MLP, I guess!

Moonstorm

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 09:06:16 AM »
Spike and Applejack where two of the names Hasbro kept the copyrights on, so hasbro still owns them. so they didn't change.

So the past generations arn't alowed to become new G4's, too bad. I could find out how hasbro lost the copyrights. mmm

also here is a comic for you :p
http://i.imgur.com/gYGD6.jpg
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 09:11:50 AM by Moonstorm »

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 09:07:46 AM »
I love Applejack so much. Especially fond of G1 sort of fond of G3..color change was odd..and G4 is okay. I am glad she has been brought back. I am not sure why she is verses other ponies. When I look back she was one of three ponies every kid had back in the 80's I knew.  She is one popular pony.  Maybe they will slowly bring more in over time.  I don't get why Hasbro would allow themselves to lose copyrights. Thasts just so odd.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 09:09:17 AM by tulagirl »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 09:12:05 AM »
I think it's a trademark issue, not a copyright one? There's a limit to how long a trademark lasts after it stops being used.

I doubt it was intentional that they kept Applejack and Spike, but not others, and I would guess it was just because they kept reusing the names/character, so the TM never expired.

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 09:16:33 AM »
I think it's because she's one that's been around for a long, long time (as opposed to other popular ponies that came later, like Glow N Show or a Colorswirl) and she's a very classy, but still very simple concept. "Apple" is often the first word taught in a lot of schools because it starts with the letter A, and her colors are quite elegant. It's a simple orange, not a blind-your-face-roadcone-orange like a few other ponies can be.

Moonstorm

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 09:21:02 AM »
@Online Rachel-Eyes than Lauren Faust would have reused Firefly because it was her favorite, (pokes mc donalds Rainbow Dash cutey mark) she wasn't allowed to use it. ;)

Offline Psivampyr

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 09:23:30 AM »

I don't get why the weird smile at the end of the comic. I've seen it before but never "got" the end of it. It's a cute comic and I was tickled to see Firefly in it.
As for Applejack, she was cute back in the day, but to me she wasn't as popular as Bow Tie. Bow Tie was in the original movie and had alot of air time, not as much as Firefly, but she was there. Applejack was just sorta a background character. *shrug*

Post Merge: February 24, 2012, 09:27:16 AM

*googles mc donalds Rainbow Dash cutey mark* Oh wow, she does have a Firefly cutie mark. That is way cool!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 09:27:16 AM by Psivampyr »

Moonstorm

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 09:29:08 AM »

I don't get why the weird smile at the end of the comic. I've seen it before but never "got" the end of it. It's a cute comic and I was tickled to see Firefly in it.

*googles mc donalds Rainbow Dash cutey mark* Oh wow, she does have a Firefly cutie mark. That is way cool!

Twilight just realized that Pinkie Pie broke the forth wall, I guess thats why she is looking that way. also the taking a ponies soul and putting it in a pony body seems euh gross/freaky XD

all of Lauren her original drawings rainbow had Firefly cutie mark. you can see it on her devian art page ;)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 09:32:15 AM by Moonstorm »

Offline PinkRosedust

• Trade Count: (+117)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • How bout i do anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 09:33:20 AM »

As for Applejack, she was cute back in the day, but to me she wasn't as popular as Bow Tie. Bow Tie was in the original movie and had alot of air time, not as much as Firefly, but she was there. Applejack was just sorta a background character. *shrug*

Post Merge: February 24, 2012, 09:27:16 AM

I'd argue that AJ was more prominent than Bow Tie in Rescue at Midnight Castle...I mean, she was the one that fell into the river and was saved by the Sea Ponies. Plus I think she talked more than Bow Tie did.
MLP sales Here Jewelry on Etsy Vintage toys on Etsy Toys and things on ebay

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 10:14:00 AM »
To confirm what Moonstorm said: I have also heard the same. Before Lauren Faust was tapped to make the FiM cartoon, she had MLP art up on her DA page that showed 6 G1 ponies. Applejack and Firefly were included (and she mentioned Firefly was her favorite)

After the show came out, that image was taken down. I read from several sources online that Hasbro no longer held the copyrights to those G1 characters, with the exception of Applejack and Spike, and so they could not use Lauren Faust's G1 designs for the cartoon. Instead they combined her G1 character ideas with some G3 designs to create the new FiM cast.
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline Psivampyr

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 10:20:18 AM »
Very interesting information all around. As for the AJ/BT in the Midnight Castle movie, I stand corrected. My brain just kept picturing the cute bows on Bow Tie's hair and assembling it's own movie version. Sorry bout that. I will have to find that movie and rewatch it.

CrimsonEtClover

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 10:28:24 AM »
'cause she's so darned dependable!

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 10:36:15 AM »
I would also like to know how Hasbro "lost" the copyright to their own characters.  And it can't be just Applejack and spike they kept otherwise how were they able to release the 25th birthday sets of the collector ponies and the rainbow ponies.  I mean just imagine how even more popular the show would be if it contained more G1 characters not just as main cast but also as background characters.  They'd have been taking my money right from my pockets from the very beginning.  Oh, if they only had kept Glory, Moondancer, Medley, Bowtie, and Firefly or the original Twilight I'd be in pony heaven.

I also have to agree that I personally never liked Applejack all that much.  Orange is my least favorite color.  Though, I have to admit that she has grown on me since they made her a western "cowgirl."

BabyRainbou

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2012, 10:42:40 AM »
I think even Hasbro has a soft spot for her.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal