collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Why is Volks resin so much more expensive?  (Read 1519 times)

Offline glory78

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Why is Volks resin so much more expensive?
« on: March 25, 2012, 10:18:21 PM »
I've been observing the sale side of things on DOA for a while now but I can't figure out why Volks resin is so much more expensive than other (visually similar quality) companies.  Can anyone explain?
glory
Glory78

Knibitz

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Why is Volks resin so much more expensive?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 10:51:51 PM »
Volks biggest thing is their resin, volks normal is volks normal is volks normal. There is no difference between volks 2007 normal resin, to 2012 normal resin. Unlike other companies who's resins are often completely different.
Many companies will reference their resin tone to Volks.

Aside from that - most of volks dolls are very limited release or only available in their boutiques.

dolls that a called F## are "full choice" dolls, meaning that you go to the volks FC boutique in japan and pick your dolls parts and face up over the day in the store.
many of the dolls are "Dolpa", or Doll Party, releases. These are only available at the dolpa event, or you can get the doll through the lottery that volks offers. The lottery works to where you throw your name in to possibly get the doll, and all the dolls that arent sold at Dolpa are sold to those in the lottery at random.

My F11 is obviously a full choice release. She was shortly released as SD13 nono, but is now sold out. the head is sold as SD10 Ryo (a boy), though.
my Volks Heath, is from Dolpa 13

for their normal release dolls, volksusa.com only sells dolls that they have in stock. When you buy a doll from volks, they ship it right away. You don't wait months for them to make it.

Volks also has a very specific aesthetic that many people cling to.
Undeniably, there's also the elitism that goes with it. Volks hales themselves as a premier bjd company and goes out of their way to make their members (card carrying volks owners - those who have bought a doll in store) feel special.

Volks has several boutiques, including a gardens where you can take your volks doll for tea and photos in the garden.  They also have an elaborate adoption ceremony when you get your doll at the store.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 11:12:03 PM by Knibitz »

Offline glory78

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 11:48:43 AM »
Ah, thanks Knibitz! 
glory
Glory78

Knibitz

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 04:49:51 PM »
and just because the photo that I took today was a perfect example of this. This is how much resin can differ between years.
2008 luts delf normal resin (darker) vs 2010 luts delf normal resin (pinker)

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

It's a pretty huge difference and if anything ever happens to either of them to where I'd need to replace a body part or something, I could not order from luts and have it match their resin - especially my 2008 delf.
So this is where that resin color quality is very important.

there's also issues with yellowing, that I talked about in the FAQ thread, and I believe that volks resin does not yellow as easily as other companies. So there's another reason why they cost a bit more :)

Offline Radiance

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 11:55:57 AM »
I have a Sweet Dream Mika that was a 2004 (I think) release and she's only yellowed a little bit; Volks resin seems to be pretty stable. Volks dolls also have thicker resin & they weigh a ton so maybe the cost of using more resin per doll factors in.
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=366243.new#new

my want list, looking for unicorns!

Offline Zest

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 08:25:22 PM »
Also I personally think Volks has EXTREMELY nice quality resin, rather than the "amount" they necessarily use. Their dolls have a very decent weight to them while still maintaining enough balance to achieve a lot of natural poses.

Some people say "there's no difference" but you just have to know what to look for. ;)
* ~ * ~ * Looking for: TAF Yum Yum and Buttons and Spanish Piggies! * ~ * ~ *

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal