collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: There is something wrong with my mini rose :( Updated w/ Pics! 2-19!!!!  (Read 3589 times)

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
Re: There is something wrong with my mini rose :( Updated w/ Pics! 2-19!!!!
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2012, 10:13:50 PM »
The leaves are looking a bit yellow, it might be chlorotic.

Repot it in a bigger pot (you want to aim for something twice as deep as the root ball) and make sure to loosen the roots up a bit.  Sometimes being rootbound can really hurt a plant.  It also needs proper drainage, roses hate having wet feet.  If you have access to compost, use that to pot it in.  Otherwise, a nice potting soil with flowering supplements will help.  If you can keep it alive until it's consistantly warm, your rose may make it.  They really do much better outdoors.

Here's some info about mini roses:  http://gardening.about.com/od/rose1/a/MiniRose.htm
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2012, 02:55:54 PM »
I'm really pulling for you, as Mr. Skeen brought home a sickly scrawny mini rose about 2 years ago.  Poor thing was never watered (he kept it in his man room and forgot about it in the window) and he was so upset he may have killed it.  He gave it to me to nurse back to health and it looked more like a stick he'd put in a flower pot than an actual plant.  To humor him, I planted it in the garden, expecting it to never grow its leaves back, but I will be darned if that thing didn't EXPLODE with new foliage and blooms.  It seems really hardy - it bloomed up til our first hard freeze this year and is always one of the first plants out there to put on new leaves in spring. 

Now I just wish I had planted it in a better spot.  I expected it to die/stay dead so I just planted it where it would be easy for me to dig back up later. 

Offline Bunny-san

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ponydex.com
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2012, 03:33:18 PM »
You don't WANT to see the two mini roses my hubby bought me for my first and second mother's days. They've both lasted outside, but now since it's winter, they  look all dead and stuff. >< My mom got me a mini rose for V-Day as well, and I'm trying to decide where to pot it since I'd need a HUGE pot (I like giving my rosies big room. They aren't mini after a year with me! :D ) And we have two cats so yeah...I'm in a bit of a rose bind myself.

On pruning. How much pruning is TOO much? I have as I said two, and they're originally "mini" roses. They're now the size of full sized rose bushes :D But as I said. Dead looking. I want to trim them down before spring springs. Or should I just leave them? I hope you're able to make your rose live! Maybe move it back away from the window a bit so that it doesn't get the cold from the glass and draft outside. There's my bit of advice ^^;
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 03:34:58 PM by Bunny-san »

Thank you artists for my siggys!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal