collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Do you talk to your ponies?

Yes, I talk to my ponies... in public!
12 (20.3%)
Why would I talk to plastic?
9 (15.3%)
Yes, behind closed doors.
38 (64.4%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Voting closed: February 27, 2012, 01:18:55 PM

Author Topic: Talking to ponies...  (Read 6485 times)

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
Re: Talking to ponies...
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2012, 04:36:21 PM »
I don't quite talk to my toys (ponies, dolls, and plushies), but its how I've done it since I was a kid. I just like. . .think thoughts directed at them, like apologizing if they fall over and stuff like that. I've spoken to my dolls out loud a few times, probably have with plushies/ponies too, and usually got a lot of crap for it in public so I do my best to stop myself from doing it. A Girl Scout leader of mine told me I needed therapy because I spoke to my dolls (and not even conversations, just like "Arisa stay still" and stuff like that). Needless to say I left that troop immediately. XP

Anyways, I don't think there's any harm in it. Even if you do have a full conversation with them. As long as you know you're talking to a toy that cannot actually respond (even if you think up replies for them), I think its fine. It can be nice to talk things out "with" or just vent to things that can't respond.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

ButtonMasher

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2012, 04:59:38 PM »
I also apologise if I knock them off a shelf. It's not even something I think about, it's just automatic. Though, oddly, doesn't happen with my other toys. I guess My Little Ponies are kind of designed to evoke that kind of reaction and create attachment for kids and a lot of us adults aren't immune either.

I have been known to chat to them when I'm cleaning them up as well, especially new arrivals. Though only when there isn't somebody else around to hear and tease me about it :P

Offline RAMChYLD

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Geeky pony wrangler.
    • View Profile
    • http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Tropers/RAMChYLD
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2012, 05:07:37 PM »
Well, I admit that I do talk to my ponies behind closed doors. But then, I don't take my ponies out to public.

I wonder if my toys ever get tired of me talking to them like a lovestruck "nonsense-babbling nincompoop" :P
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 05:37:15 PM by RAMChYLD »
I'm cataloging FIM pony product codes! Check it out! | My Wish list. Updated in real time. | My G4 Army register

Offline OctoberFlash

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I like to eat things and brush ponies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2012, 06:01:32 PM »
Agh, I do that all the time! Not in public, exactly (or if I do it in public, I do it quietly so no-one hears me), but all the time I talk to my ponies. For example, if I knock one over, I apologize to it; if it falls over on its own, I set it back up and tell it to hold still. xD

If I also run into a dirty pony, I tend to go "aww poor babyyyy :c" and talk to it like it's a puppy, or something. I can be strange. xD

It makes me feel bad when I'm baiting a pony, though, when I pull off its head I can't help but think of the pony talking to all the whole and uncustomized ponies on the shelf nearby - "help meee!" 0_o
Click here for my wishlist!

Every puzzle has an answer :)

Offline hlbmlp

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2012, 06:09:46 PM »
i talk to most any inanimate object, public or not. I am the weird art major... but yeah... I blame my mom for making me apologize to furniture and toys and stuff when i knocked into them or fell on them etc when i was a child.  ^___^
so yeah I have conversations with most anything! :3
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 06:23:13 PM by hlbmlp »
My Etsy . My Blog

If i owe you feedback pm me, my brain is not always here.

thanks kiwisquirtbottle for helping with codes!!! <3

Offline Saber-Toothed Crow

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2012, 06:14:55 PM »
I've caught myself talking to my ponies before, usually when I'm fixing up some new arrivals. Kind of a running commentary of how I'm going to fix it up and make it look nicer.

Thanks Jennifer2004 for my sig and Shaiyeh for my avi! ~formerly Crowpriest~

cesprins

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2012, 06:40:19 PM »
Usually just silly compliments if i'm styling them or admiring them.

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2012, 09:18:28 PM »
I don't quite talk to my toys (ponies, dolls, and plushies), but its how I've done it since I was a kid. I just like. . .think thoughts directed at them, like apologizing if they fall over and stuff like that. I've spoken to my dolls out loud a few times, probably have with plushies/ponies too, and usually got a lot of crap for it in public so I do my best to stop myself from doing it. A Girl Scout leader of mine told me I needed therapy because I spoke to my dolls (and not even conversations, just like "Arisa stay still" and stuff like that). Needless to say I left that troop immediately. XP

Anyways, I don't think there's any harm in it. Even if you do have a full conversation with them. As long as you know you're talking to a toy that cannot actually respond (even if you think up replies for them), I think its fine. It can be nice to talk things out "with" or just vent to things that can't respond.

Aw, how awful of your girl scout troop leader.  As long as you realize that you're speaking to a toy, there's no harm in it.

I also apologize to ponies when I drop them or say goodnight to them when I shut the door on them - little things like that.

I also talk to other inanimate objects and especially my computer, particularly when it doesn't work.  My students caught me grumbling at it at work once and then they kept bugging me about why I was talking to the inanimate object.  :P
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline okapishomapi

• Programming Pony
  • Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • NERD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2012, 09:33:45 PM »
It's just keeping in touch with your inner child.  No one has gone wacky.  :)

I agree. I talk to my animals, too, even though they don't speak English :)

Thank you, taxel and Antlercat!
Okapi's Want List ~ Fishmeal Ref ~ Shomapi Ref

Offline hlbmlp

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2012, 09:36:22 PM »
I agree. I talk to my animals, too, even though they don't speak English :)

my hamster is very snarky to me... :< so sad.
My Etsy . My Blog

If i owe you feedback pm me, my brain is not always here.

thanks kiwisquirtbottle for helping with codes!!! <3

Offline Calico_Star

• Trade Count: (+63)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2012, 10:52:51 PM »
I do sometimes...but mostly just apologizing if I knock them off a shelf or drop one. I have a shelf next to my door, and I'm quite frequently knocking Firefly off on accident as I leave my room and then asking her "Why would you do that, Firefly?"

:heart: My Deviantart :heart: Commissions: Closed

Offline Chi

• Trade Count: (+64)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Shame on them, mistreating such lovely flowers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2012, 11:17:37 PM »
I talk to my ponies on occasion.. XD
Usually when I knock them over I apologize.. And then when I'm opening them up for restoration purposes I say "I'm so sorry I have to do this. But you'll look so much more wonderful after! Just hang in there, okay?" or something like that. Oh and when I get a new pony in the mail I'll say something like "Well aren't you just a cutie?!"
Totally normal, yup yup. :)
Still LF: Blue-haired G2 Ivy..Help me find my childhood friend!
Have you seen her? :awake:

Offline starrypawz

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted
    • View Profile
    • http://starrypawz.deviantart.com
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2012, 12:10:00 AM »
I sort of do, I sometimes talk to them when moving them around, or if I can't find one I go 'where are you?' Never had a full blown conversation with them but I used to do that with my teddy bears. :P

If you ever see a NARU starrypawz on Ebay it is in no way connected with me! Ebay handle is stella_lupus

Offline Gypsy_Nights

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Absolute Night Owl!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2012, 01:06:47 AM »
I kind of do as well but only little comments.  Like most of you, I say sorry when they fall over and rush to fix their hair back. and I also grumble if I can't find one and say "Now where are you pony's name!"  Not that I think they will pop out from behind a corner & answer back!   :lol:   And lots of times I'm just thinking the comments in my head.  Like if I'm cleaning them I'll think, look how pretty you turned out.
~~~Me and My FiM Family~~~

My Sales Thread     My deviantART Page

Offline Clementine

• Power Puff Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2012, 01:45:47 AM »
I talk to inanimate objects in my head all the time, not aloud though because if my sister heard me I would never hear the end of it X) My sock monkey is a particularly great listener though :P

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal