collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Why I don't Dye  (Read 14172 times)

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
Why I don't Dye
« on: February 19, 2012, 04:18:56 AM »
There have been a few topics lately that talked about dying and how to do it.. So I though I would post some pictures explaining the problems that a lot of people talked about, but were unable to illustrate.

I have been customizing ponies since 2005, and I had stopped for a while, so I had a collection of baits in various stages of finish.. Here is a picture of one that I had dyed a dark blue. It is now my experiment pony. I use it to test various things on.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

#1 and #2 used to be the same color as #3. This pony spent years inside a box packed away out of light, so it isn't light that caused this. The color just changed in uneven spots and splotches.

When I dyed her, I used a Rit Dye bath. I salted the water to help set the dye, also. When she came out, I rinsed her, then set her aside and never finished her.

Luckily by this time, I had learned that the dye bleeds onto other ponies, so I had stored her separate. I had some black ponies I had dyed, who got tossed in the box early on and they stained other ponies.

So yeah.. This is why I dont dye anymore. It just doesnt last.

If anyone has tips on making it last, I'd be happy to hear them. This pony is about 5 or 6 years old.

Offline lovelauraland

• Trade Count: (+127)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lovelauraland.com
Re: Why I don't Dye
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 05:46:42 AM »
That's the same question I had on DA.
I'm not sure of the answer to this, I have dyed several of my ponies, some dye really well like the baby fakies, I have a dyed blue one that I re-rooted in white and boil permed her hair and no due has run or come off on other ponies, also this girl was dyed a long time ago- aprox 2 years ago so I don't know if she might fade after 5 years?
My custom North Star was dyed black and I haven't heared of any problems with her. She was made aprox 2 years ago, I think?
I use a specific salt dye not regular salt so I'm not sure if this matters.
Needless to say some of the ponies I have dyed I put back in my bait box and dye did come off onto other ponies.
It could be the typ of plastic? Some plastics might take better than others?

Offline Maniah

• Classifieds
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 06:39:55 AM »
I'm not sure of the answer to this, I have dyed several of my ponies, some dye really well like the baby fakies, I have a dyed blue one that I re-rooted in white and boil permed her hair and no due has run or come off on other ponies, also this girl was dyed a long time ago- aprox 2 years ago so I don't know if she might fade after 5 years?
My custom North Star was dyed black and I haven't heared of any problems with her. She was made aprox 2 years ago, I think?
Needless to say some of the ponies I have dyed I put back in my bait box and dye did come off onto other ponies.

*waves* That was me :)

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 08:13:49 AM »
.....because there is too much to live for!

(ba dum bah! Sorry I could not resist.  I'm a dork!  Sadly, I have nothing to add as dyeing is a science that I have not mastered in the least).

Offline lovelauraland

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Why I don\'t Dye
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 09:54:36 AM »
Haha, hello!
Hope someone else has more insight on this!
X

Post Merge: February 19, 2012, 10:10:54 AM

Hmm just had a look at my baby Starlet which was dyed black and she was made April 2010, still looking good :)
She belongs to my mum so hopefully the dye won't fade!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 10:10:54 AM by lovelauraland »

Offline Maniah

• Classifieds
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 10:39:45 AM »
Haha, hello!
Hope someone else has more insight on this!
X

Post Merge: February 19, 2012, 10:10:54 AM

Hmm just had a look at my baby Starlet which was dyed black and she was made April 2010, still looking good :)
She belongs to my mum so hopefully the dye won't fade!

Funny thing.. The two black ponies are the only two I have that DIDNT have color fade issues. But the other hues, blue, purple, green, all did.

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 11:17:04 AM »
I no longer own most of my dyed ponies, but my very first pony is about 2 years old now and her dye is fine. I mean it has faded from its original color, as all dyed ponies do to some extent over time, but she's not uneven or discolored.

Offline lovelauraland

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 11:56:07 AM »
I have a brown and green pony done by SammyTVR sitting on my desk that was dyed aprox 3 years ago, they don't seem to have any sign of dye fade either. I wonder if certain colours fade more than others?

Offline babystarz

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 12:46:13 PM »
I dyed a Moondancer dark blue with RIT dye and she is very faded 5 years later. The fading is uniform (except around the hair plugs, where it's still very dark), but really unattractive and apparent.

I have a brown and green pony done by SammyTVR sitting on my desk that was dyed aprox 3 years ago, they don't seem to have any sign of dye fade either. I wonder if certain colours fade more than others?

I'm sure it depends on what exactly they used for the pigment in each color, and whether certain pigments are plant based or mineral based or something else (synthetic maybe?). It wouldn't surprise me if some pigments are more permanent than others. I'm also curious to find out if ponies that were coated with sealant after being dyed have fading problems or not.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 12:50:03 PM by babystargleamer »

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 12:55:13 PM »
So I guess if we want a different color a FBR is the way to go? But what about sparkle ponies? Is there a clear paint that you could do a FBR that you would still be able to see through it?
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2012, 01:27:31 PM »
I think it has more to do with the plastic and the dye method and time than the colors. We know some ponies don't take color as well, so it stands to reason that they could fade easier. And I imagine ponies that are intentionally lighter and therefore spend less time in the dye will fade more quickly as well.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 01:29:10 PM by NoDivision »

Offline babystarz

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Why I don\'t Dye
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2012, 01:32:20 PM »
I think it has more to do with the plastic and the dye method and time than the colors. We know some ponies don't take color as well, so it stands to reason that they could fade easier. And I imagine ponies that are lighter and therefore spend less time in the dye will fade more quickly as well.

That's true, there is a lot of variability in the plastic of ponies of different years and different colors, which will certainly affect how well the dye bonds with the plastic. I suppose if I had dyed a pony that was already some shade of blue, I might not have the intense fading that I've gotten from dying a white pony blue too.

Post Merge: February 19, 2012, 01:35:54 PM

So I guess if we want a different color a FBR is the way to go? But what about sparkle ponies? Is there a clear paint that you could do a FBR that you would still be able to see through it?

Yes, there are different clear sealants and whatnot around, and I think they could be mixed with glitter, or just painted over whatever sparkle effect you give the pony. They do tend to show brush strokes like paint does, so for a spotless effect you'd need to use an airbrush I think. The one thing I would worry about with sealant is that it might become discolored or yellowed over time, but I admittedly don't have much experience with it.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 01:35:54 PM by babystargleamer »

Offline rybett

• Mintylicious Midwest Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2012, 06:19:13 PM »
I just bought some "hologram" paint.  Looks like it will dry clear and shimmery.  DD just offered up one of her Mintys to try it out.
ETA: oooo!!!!!!!!!  Yup, dries clear and shimmery.  I think another couple of coats and we will have "Sparkle Mint".  It's Folkart brand, Extreme Glitter.  Silver hologrammy label, white shimmery paint.  It's soo cool, I had to share this.   :biggrin:   
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 06:53:05 PM by rybett »
:socks:   :frog:

Offline StarFaerie

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2012, 07:12:29 PM »

LLL, Northstar is still black with no blotchy bits. She is still the pride of my collection.   :lovey:
It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a woman in possession of disposable income, must be in want of a pony.

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2012, 08:35:55 PM »
I just bought some "hologram" paint.  Looks like it will dry clear and shimmery.  DD just offered up one of her Mintys to try it out.
ETA: oooo!!!!!!!!!  Yup, dries clear and shimmery.  I think another couple of coats and we will have "Sparkle Mint".  It's Folkart brand, Extreme Glitter.  Silver hologrammy label, white shimmery paint.  It's soo cool, I had to share this.   :biggrin:   

But can it turn a transparent yellow or aqua pony to a grass green?
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal