collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Why I don't Dye  (Read 14171 times)

creampuf

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Why I don't Dye
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2012, 08:12:01 AM »
Creampuf - I used your dye method tutorial on my very first pony and have done it that way ever since and generally have phenominal results. Of course there are the occasional anomolies where the ponies just hate me, but when it works it works really well.

The boiling thing is expecially important to take note of. I hear people complaining all the time about their dye not taking and it turns out they are just trying to use hot water in a bowl - you have to boil those ponies alive!

Oh good you were the one person who read it...mystery solved ^_^

Actually I'm just happy that it helped :hug:

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2012, 10:11:57 AM »
Couple notes:

Will a dyed pony fade? If it sits out in too much light and over the course of time, yes...but so does nylon hair and pony bodies in general.

Do all ponies dye the same way: Nope! different plastic types mean different results, the harder ponies are not worth even trying their material is not porous enough for the dye to set. Also I can't stress enough the importance of properly cleaning the pony and not touching her at all during the dying process with your hands. You hands have oils and dye does not like oil.

You must boil them: I'm sorry but I have had nothing but amazing results with dying only because I boil them alive. I know some people just place them in a separate dish and pour hot water on top and wait but it doesn't give the plastic time to open up and the dye to come in.

Dissolving problems: If you don't whisk the heck out of your dye water...till you get a foam on top you run the risk of improperly mixed dye which will screw up the pony....oh and add salt.

Vinegar: After the pony is dyed I wash mine with warm water and Dawn dish soap, then place into a cold water bowl with a splash of white distilled vinegar, I let the pony sit for at least 5 minutes and then wash her again in a clean sink with Dawn dish soap.

Storing: yes dye bleeds place them into a Ziploc bag away form other ponies and out of bright light. Don't forget to take the pony out every couple weeks to let the dye breathe out a little, this helps with it's staying power.

Using: You need to let the pony sit around for a few months before using...it's the only way to help make sure you don't run into dye bleed. A quick way to test is to paint a little white ont he pony seal the paint and then wait over night...if the white is not white the next day she needs to keep sitting.

Dying is a tricky process...takes a lot of time and patience to do well. It is rewarding and beautiful when done.

more tips and stuff on my website.

These are the best tips I have seen by far. The picture I posted in the original thread was a pony that was boiled and salted. I don't think I used vinegar. She was stored away from light, and she just went odd.

But maybe using your method, and boiling them a bit longer, and a bit stronger, it would work out OK and be better.

Sad thing is.. It's hard to test that because it took 5 years for that one to look that bad >.<

So I don't know.. I am tempted, but cautious.

creampuf

« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2012, 10:52:12 AM »
Couple notes:

Will a dyed pony fade? If it sits out in too much light and over the course of time, yes...but so does nylon hair and pony bodies in general.

Do all ponies dye the same way: Nope! different plastic types mean different results, the harder ponies are not worth even trying their material is not porous enough for the dye to set. Also I can't stress enough the importance of properly cleaning the pony and not touching her at all during the dying process with your hands. You hands have oils and dye does not like oil.

You must boil them: I'm sorry but I have had nothing but amazing results with dying only because I boil them alive. I know some people just place them in a separate dish and pour hot water on top and wait but it doesn't give the plastic time to open up and the dye to come in.

Dissolving problems: If you don't whisk the heck out of your dye water...till you get a foam on top you run the risk of improperly mixed dye which will screw up the pony....oh and add salt.

Vinegar: After the pony is dyed I wash mine with warm water and Dawn dish soap, then place into a cold water bowl with a splash of white distilled vinegar, I let the pony sit for at least 5 minutes and then wash her again in a clean sink with Dawn dish soap.

Storing: yes dye bleeds place them into a Ziploc bag away form other ponies and out of bright light. Don't forget to take the pony out every couple weeks to let the dye breathe out a little, this helps with it's staying power.

Using: You need to let the pony sit around for a few months before using...it's the only way to help make sure you don't run into dye bleed. A quick way to test is to paint a little white ont he pony seal the paint and then wait over night...if the white is not white the next day she needs to keep sitting.

Dying is a tricky process...takes a lot of time and patience to do well. It is rewarding and beautiful when done.

more tips and stuff on my website.

These are the best tips I have seen by far. The picture I posted in the original thread was a pony that was boiled and salted. I don't think I used vinegar. She was stored away from light, and she just went odd.

But maybe using your method, and boiling them a bit longer, and a bit stronger, it would work out OK and be better.

Sad thing is.. It's hard to test that because it took 5 years for that one to look that bad >.<

So I don't know.. I am tempted, but cautious.

Other thing to note is that not all ponies and plastic are created the same. if a plastic has a discrepancy in one area it may have adverse reactions down the road. Like regrind issues. I wouldn't be surprised if the pony problem wasn't because of this or some other weirdness and not necessarily because of the dye.

I seriously can't stress the importance of boiling. when I boil the ponies I have 2 pans...one with the dye and one with clean water. when I get the pony to the color I like I boil it for a bit in the clean pan...some dye will come off but that's not necessarily a bad thing...it's surface  dye that may or may not have actually gotten into the pony. that can cause most (not all) of the bleed problems.

I would recommend you experiment and try again...I know you're hesitant because of previous experience but it's always worth another chance especially if you've learned some new tricks to try.

Offline babystarz

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2012, 01:16:40 PM »
Hm, I did definitely boil my pony but I can't remember if I used vinegar. I think I did, as we have a jug of it sitting around, but I can't be sure. She was also stored away in a box for 5 years, so it's not like any light could get in to cause the fading, which is why I think it must have something to do with her original color being so light. It's annoying that this takes so long to test. Perhaps a few people should try different dye setting methods and then store the ponies for a few years on purpose just to see what happens to the dye :P
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2012, 05:58:03 PM »
Yeah. I'm in the same boat. Mine was in a box for 5 years. I just hate that to test stuff out I have to wait 5 years for answers. :(

Offline lovelauraland

• Trade Count: (+127)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lovelauraland.com
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2012, 03:36:26 AM »
Well im up to aprox 3 years on one of mine!
Let's hope I stick around for a another 2 to let you guys know haha! Although mine didn't include the vinegar :P
Thanks Creampuf as always you are awesome! X
Does it matter what type of vinegar you use? I have Cider Vinegar lol
Like me my Cider :)

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2012, 11:22:09 AM »
I use white vinegar, that is what the Rit recommended, not sure about Cider :P

Offline lovelauraland

• Trade Count: (+127)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lovelauraland.com
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2012, 01:10:20 PM »
Ok, I will get some White Vinegar :)
Thanks loads x

creampuf

« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2012, 07:31:07 AM »
Cider vinegar is fantastic for making Jamaican jerk marinades and spicy Mexican shredded beef but not sure about it for dye.

I use white distilled ^_^

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal