collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Why I don't Dye  (Read 14222 times)

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
Re: Why I don't Dye
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2012, 08:45:45 PM »
I suppose if I had dyed a pony that was already some shade of blue, I might not have the intense fading that I've gotten from dying a white pony blue too.

Is your fade worse than the pony I showed in the first post? I'm fairly certain that pony was a light purple to start with when I dyed her to blue.

Given what others are saying, the dye job seems to last at least two years. But at 5 years, multiple people report discoloring. Also, both discoloring reports were about ponies done with blue RIT dye. I have black ponies older than the blue pony who did not discolor.

I'd be interested to know which other colors suffer from fade.

Offline babystarz

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2012, 08:58:02 PM »
Is your fade worse than the pony I showed in the first post? I'm fairly certain that pony was a light purple to start with when I dyed her to blue.

I'm not sure if I'd call it "worse" so much as different. I'll get a picture of her next time I'm at my parents house, but she was an intense, dark royal blue when I finished dying her and that color held for quite a while. It was only when I pulled her out of storage recently that I noticed she had faded quite a bit. It kind of reminds me of the way jeans fade over time as you wash them actually.

I think I dyed a couple of ponies purple at one time too, I'll see if I can find those.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline lovelauraland

• Trade Count: (+127)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lovelauraland.com
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2012, 11:53:24 PM »
Yay, I'm so glad NorthStar is ok :heart:
I have some commissions that require dyeing, I think I'm going to dye them just that little bit more just to make sure, I might stay clear of the blue :D

Offline rybett

• Mintylicious Midwest Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2012, 07:09:53 AM »
I just bought some "hologram" paint.  Looks like it will dry clear and shimmery.  DD just offered up one of her Mintys to try it out.
ETA: oooo!!!!!!!!!  Yup, dries clear and shimmery.  I think another couple of coats and we will have "Sparkle Mint".  It's Folkart brand, Extreme Glitter.  Silver hologrammy label, white shimmery paint.  It's soo cool, I had to share this.   :biggrin:   

But can it turn a transparent yellow or aqua pony to a grass green?

Well, there is a green version of it online.  Not sure,  I've never had a transparent pony to play with.  Come to think of it, the one time I tried to dye a yellow one green, it didn't work.  Bright red, a couple of pink ones is all.   Oh, and a white to orange one.   I'll let ya'll know in about 5 years if they fade.  ;)   
:socks:   :frog:

Offline Diamond

• Hostess of the Wine Cellar
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Time will tell a wonderful tale if you listen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2012, 07:24:41 AM »
Maybe check the colorfastness rating of the dies you are using?  In the sign industry many colors are not as color fast and will fade over time.  For example the one shop I used to work in offered cheap vinyl not made by 3M and 3M premium grade vinyl.  The cheap stuff would fade with in two years (or less sometimes) while the 3M would last anywhere from 5 years for red to forever with black.

Also do you guys set with vinegar?  I do that for my tie die and it helps tremendously to set the color.  Not sure if it would make a difference on a pony.

Someone mentioned in regards to the plastic, it does seem that G3's vary in regards to softness so that could be it, some maybe be sucking in more color then others.

Though after reading all this I think I shall stick to full body repaints.
:like: me on FaceBook - Crocus Cottage Creations

Thanks to SdS for my avie

Offline lovelauraland

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2012, 10:24:13 AM »
So how would you use vinegar? Do you add it in the water with the dye or after dyeing?

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2012, 11:25:32 AM »
Vinegar helps a ton with nylon hair!  After the pony has been in the dye bath 5 minutes, add like a teaspoon or half a teaspoon of vinegar to the dye bath.  Per Rit Dye instructions :)

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2012, 11:27:44 AM »
This will be good to know since I am planning a custom that MAY have white hair with black tips. Not certain on that yet, but I'm mulling it over.

Offline Diamond

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2012, 01:15:10 PM »
So how would you use vinegar? Do you add it in the water with the dye or after dyeing?

For clothing we do a vinegar bath after but I let the clothing sit for 24 hours after dieing, then I do cold water rinsing and then a final rinse in vinegar and water.  Not sure how you would adept that to a pony but it makes a huge difference on the color holding and not fading.

Vinegar helps a ton with nylon hair!  After the pony has been in the dye bath 5 minutes, add like a teaspoon or half a teaspoon of vinegar to the dye bath.  Per Rit Dye instructions :)

Color that is good to know about the hair as I do have plans to play with some hair on one pony I want to do.

Offline lovelauraland

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2012, 04:45:18 AM »
ok thats cool to know, I will make sure to add vinegar next time :)
thanks x

Offline hlbmlp

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2012, 06:25:53 AM »
i dont know about ponies but when we dye things in class we use soda ash.  not sure what that would do to ponies.... but i know it works great on fabric, yarn, and my hands!
My Etsy . My Blog

If i owe you feedback pm me, my brain is not always here.

thanks kiwisquirtbottle for helping with codes!!! <3

Offline Tinker

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Bwahahahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2012, 01:54:38 AM »
Also do you guys set with vinegar?  I do that for my tie die and it helps tremendously to set the color.  Not sure if it would make a difference on a pony. ...

i dont know about ponies but when we dye things in class we use soda ash.  not sure what that would do to ponies.... but i know it works great on fabric, yarn, and my hands!

In my recent trails of coffee staining I learned about Mordant from a tailor friend of mine. (my coffee stains didn't set) Mordant can be a base like soda ash or an acid like vinegar.  :)

creampuf

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2012, 06:51:51 AM »
Couple notes:

Will a dyed pony fade? If it sits out in too much light and over the course of time, yes...but so does nylon hair and pony bodies in general.

Do all ponies dye the same way: Nope! different plastic types mean different results, the harder ponies are not worth even trying their material is not porous enough for the dye to set. Also I can't stress enough the importance of properly cleaning the pony and not touching her at all during the dying process with your hands. You hands have oils and dye does not like oil.

You must boil them: I'm sorry but I have had nothing but amazing results with dying only because I boil them alive. I know some people just place them in a separate dish and pour hot water on top and wait but it doesn't give the plastic time to open up and the dye to come in.

Dissolving problems: If you don't whisk the heck out of your dye water...till you get a foam on top you run the risk of improperly mixed dye which will screw up the pony....oh and add salt.

Vinegar: After the pony is dyed I wash mine with warm water and Dawn dish soap, then place into a cold water bowl with a splash of white distilled vinegar, I let the pony sit for at least 5 minutes and then wash her again in a clean sink with Dawn dish soap.

Storing: yes dye bleeds place them into a Ziploc bag away form other ponies and out of bright light. Don't forget to take the pony out every couple weeks to let the dye breathe out a little, this helps with it's staying power.

Using: You need to let the pony sit around for a few months before using...it's the only way to help make sure you don't run into dye bleed. A quick way to test is to paint a little white ont he pony seal the paint and then wait over night...if the white is not white the next day she needs to keep sitting.

Dying is a tricky process...takes a lot of time and patience to do well. It is rewarding and beautiful when done.

more tips and stuff on my website.

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2012, 07:06:44 AM »
Creampuf - I used your dye method tutorial on my very first pony and have done it that way ever since and generally have phenominal results. Of course there are the occasional anomolies where the ponies just hate me, but when it works it works really well.

The boiling thing is expecially important to take note of. I hear people complaining all the time about their dye not taking and it turns out they are just trying to use hot water in a bowl - you have to boil those ponies alive!

Offline Diamond

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2012, 08:10:15 AM »
you have to boil those ponies alive!
Sorry but that line just made me laugh.  Good to know all those great tips Creampuf and you too ND.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal