collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: There is something wrong with my mini rose :( Updated w/ Pics! 2-19!!!!  (Read 3587 times)

Offline 01mlplover

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
I got a small potted mini rose for valentines day that i planned on planting outside once it warmed up but its not looking so hot right now... The leaves have started turning yellow and the whole clusters have just been falling off. Also where the new leaves are trying to come in seems like they're turning yellow and dieing before they have a chance to get big. Im wondering if im going to have to repot it before i get the chance to plant it outside. I have two mini roses planted outside already and they've always seemed to do fine but im not sure whats going on with this one. I live in iowa if it matters. Im not even sure when ill be able to plant it ouside. Also, i dont think it has mites, i havent seen any yet as im always inspecting it.... The pot that it came in is plastic and 4" tall and 5" wide.

Edit to add pics!

First day home:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Just repotted today! Feb 19. Pic taken minutes after. You can definately tell its lost alot of leaves since Feb 14. Despite these pics the rose is actually red. My cameras just crappy.

Size difference in pots!!! I put a couple inches of styrofoam in the bottom of the new pot for drainage and watered it well even though you cant tell from the pics.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 04:24:26 PM by 01mlplover »

Offline kittybethy

• Trade Count: (+266)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Life is way to precious to spend it being cool!
    • View Profile
Re: There is something wrong with my mini rose :(
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 04:09:39 PM »
That's strange.  Maybe you got a defective/older/sick one!

Offline 01mlplover

• So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 04:13:23 PM »
The thing is, it looked fine when it was given to me and i started noticing this about 2 days afterwards...

Offline Oneleo1

• sounds like oreo
  • Trade Count: (+259)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • E-crater Oneleo1
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 04:25:56 PM »
I'd spray for mites anyway...sometimes it's hard to detect them.

I hope you can save it!
Man who wear lampshade on head is bright!

*** Want List *** My Trade/Sale Page *** Rehairs & Deflock Services available. PM me for details :)

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 05:16:08 PM »
It may have just gotten too cold in transport and maybe if it has been indoors all this time, the transport temperatures made it realize its winter time to drop leaves. They may just be done blooming for the time being since they were probably grown indoors and forced to bloom in winter for valentine's day. You definately need to repot them into bigger pots for the time being and give them good drainage. Make sure you've got them in a place that's not too dry or dark. When you buy potted roses you should prune them back a few inches right away. You can use tea bags if you drink tea to make sure the soil has enough acidity. Be sure that you check and see if there is moisture in the soil or on the drainage plate before you decide you need to water. If there is, you don't need to water.

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 05:46:39 PM »
Mini roses are notoriously finicky and hard to keep alive.  Did it come from a garden store or Walmart?  I'd suggest repotting it with some fertilizer and making sure that it's getting an appropriate amount of light and water.  Try googling "caring for mini roses" and see if there's something that can help you  :)

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

Offline 01mlplover

• So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 05:50:07 PM »
Mini roses are notoriously finicky and hard to keep alive.  Did it come from a garden store or Walmart?  I'd suggest repotting it with some fertilizer and making sure that it's getting an appropriate amount of light and water.  Try googling "caring for mini roses" and see if there's something that can help you  :)

Yes, it came from walmart. I always thought roses were pretty hardy and that it would be a breeze to keep it alive before planting it outside but apparently i was wrong... I checked out google and found stories of people with similar problems but i couldnt really find an answer that pleased me. I hope the poor thing doesnt die :(

Offline ZennaBug

• View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 06:22:06 PM »
Walmart flowers aren't exactly the cream of the crop.  I bought a couple of bromeliads and they croaked.  The little pup that my uncle gave me off of his plant is doing fantastic in the same type of pot, same window, same amount of water.  First thing you should do is repot the poor thing in a bigger pot with quality soil.

Offline 01mlplover

• So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 06:47:24 PM »
Do you know what month would be ok to plant it outside? if i can get it survive that long....

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012, 10:37:48 PM »
:( I hope you can get it to pull through!

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline ZennaBug

• View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2012, 11:05:55 PM »
Don't plant it outside until the last freeze.  So aim for mid to late May  :)  If you can put in some compost or soil supplements, that may help as well.  We use B.O.S.S. in the gardens at work.  Once you plant it, put some mulch around the plant (this is good for your entire garden really) to keep the soil moisture in and add some organic matter.  Keep it watered really thoroughly for the first couple of weeks so it starts establishing roots.  Then you can slow down a bit with the watering, once a week may be fine.  Depends on your climate (I'm in Colorado and it is HOT and DRY here in the summer) honestly.  Make sure you put it in a place that gets the right amount of sunlight.

Good luck!  And remember, if the poor little plant doesn't make it that's not your fault.  If that DOES happen, hit a garden store and try again.  Starting with a healthy plant goes a long way  :)

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2012, 09:21:10 AM »
it sounds like hte plant went into shock.

I would bring it back indoors and nurse it back, then wait until you are sure the last of the cold weather is gone before trying again <3

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline 01mlplover

• So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2012, 09:23:38 AM »
it sounds like hte plant went into shock.

I would bring it back indoors and nurse it back, then wait until you are sure the last of the cold weather is gone before trying again <3

Its been kept inside since it was brought home. Sitting by the big window in my living room.

Offline Goldilocks

• Romance Pony
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2012, 12:16:22 PM »
Mini roses are such difficult to keep alive :( I would spray it and keep away from other plants just in case. I had a mini rose with the same "symptoms", I got it for Valentine's day too and moved it outdoors as soon as it was warm enough. The rose looked really bad with only a couple of leaves left but now it's still alive outdoors 2 years afterwards.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 12:58:30 PM by Goldilocks »
wanted G1 WEDDING/LOVE pony accessories and merchandise, ARGIE GREEN TRULY, ARGIE PEARLY-PAINTED NOVIA:
http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,299645.0.html
trades:
http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,299649.msg252302.html#msg252302

Offline 01mlplover

• So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
Re: There is something wrong with my mini rose :( Updated w/ Pics! 2-19!!!!
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2012, 03:37:54 PM »
Update to first post! Added pics (even though they arent the best) The poor thing even lost a few leaves in the process. I hope repotting does the trick!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal