collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Mimic is gaining a lot of attention, does this mean the poneconomy is back up?  (Read 6070 times)

tafaj

• Trade Count: (0)
I really don't like Mimic, for the same reason I really don't like Tootsie, the color elicits bad memories.  I tried forever to get one about 15 years ago and every sale/trade/ whatever turned out really sour.  I finally said she was cursed and quit trying.  I only wanted her to finish out my As Seen On TV set, and so I could play "the golden horseshoes" episode :p  I think that is what made Mimic specifically famous and what drove her price beyond the other TE's of her set.  I mean, neither Locket or Quackers got their own 4 part TV show.

I hope it's a good long-term trend for prices to be up, but I would say there's about 6 months in a year to sell, and 6 months to hold your ponies.  I hope I'm wrong, but I suspect by June, prices will fall again.

AJ

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
Wow. I just searched her on eBay and saw what you mean. 20 bids. Wow. People really want her. Odd since there are a few other listings that are cheaper.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Icecrystalline

• Guardian of Dreams
  • Trade Count: (+128)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • No longer active.
    • View Profile
Yeah, I'd do anything for Mimic, I just wish I had the money :(

Offline Chi

• Trade Count: (+64)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Shame on them, mistreating such lovely flowers!
    • View Profile
I... Paid... Quite a bit for my Mimic, actually. She is very near mint, so I figured I may as well go for it since all the other ones I saw listed at some point had SOMETHING wrong that I wouldn't be able to get past. Crappy thing is, that it took her 20 days to ship the Mimic. She just shipped today and I ordered her on the 30th of January. :(
At least she will hopefully be here by my birthday, but ergh.
</end of my small rant>
I definitely think it's the FiM fans affecting the price a bit, but I've also noticed that when one person lists a Mimic and gets a good price, a bunch of other people do the same. Probably just all seeing someone else cash out on a pony they have is making them want to get a good payout as well. /shrug

Oh wow, £110 is about $174.. How can she be worth THAT much with a smudged symbol...
There's one in the US with about 4 hours to go that hasn't even gotten much past $50, so I don't really get it either.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 01:41:43 PM by Flitter »
Still LF: Blue-haired G2 Ivy..Help me find my childhood friend!
Have you seen her? :awake:

cody_sunday

I only wanted her to finish out my As Seen On TV set, and so I could play "the golden horseshoes" episode :p  I think that is what made Mimic specifically famous and what drove her price beyond the other TE's of her set.  I mean, neither Locket or Quackers got their own 4 part TV show.

hehe i was thinking that's probably part of the reason she's so sought-after, i know i really wanted her as a child because of that episode :3
xx

Offline ClosetAvalanche

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
I think the high price might be due to the international, not all sellers ship out of the us.

Offline tehrin

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
I think it's a combination of a few things:

- The Golden Horseshoes Episode
- Her color combination and her pose look very attractive. :) She is a very pretty pony!
- I read somewhere that she was short-boxed and not quite as common as some of the other ponies in the set.

And combine that over many years of collecting, and a lot of hype... you get inflated prices. Lots of people assuming that she's super-rare. And because that's the assumption the price goes up higher and higher. When in actuality, I find more Mimics than Bright Eyes. :< It's just that she's in high demand and everyone and their mother wants one... but she's not quite as common as say, Peachy.

(also click for my sales here. :3)

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
We have had so many threads about mimic over the years, maybe someone could sticky them all together?
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
We have had so many threads about mimic over the years, maybe someone could sticky them all together?

So true, LOL. She's popular. Makes me pretty happy I own her. I think I got her pretty cheap about eight or nine years ago.
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
I am holding out for the day I find mine in a thrift store bag for 2.00 and believe me it will happen. I am thinking positive lol.

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline Star_Warrior

• Trade Count: (+195)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
  • The White Horse
    • View Profile
    • Night Hawk
eBay is hard to get a good estimate on because people get into bidding crazes.  There was actually a study done on the psychology of this showing how people tend to bid far more than what an item is worth because of the competition.  The study used a normal $20 bill that sold for $28!   >_<

As for Mimic, I'd say a good condition one for $90 seems to be average.  I've seen her go for as low as $70 and high as $120.  I try to keep an eye on numerous sales of the same pony and average the winning bids out.  It's not always easy to do, but Mimic seems to be on all the time. 

It's hard to tell at times how much a pony is worth.  I totally understand selling something for what I thought was a proper price only to find out I sold it for a lot less than what it was worth!  The market is constantly in flux.

Star Warrior

Offline nhal039

• Trade Count: (+171)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
I know this is a bit of the topic but ebay uk prices tend to end so much higher than ebay america. I am starting to look for uk exclusives in america now cause they are cheaper. So maybe mimics price was over inflated in someones minds cause they see other ponies sell for about double of what they are worth?
Recent examples being sunburst selling for £77
Bright eyes (7 tales) £84
splash and float £101
MIB egyptian fair pony 11 £34 (thats when she was on sale her for $25us)
anyhow thats what I think is happening and for sure like someone said tax refunds and international bidders (like myself : )

Offline Centifolia

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
    • Danhejd
I have a Mimic what is not perfect but I'm willing to sell to you Icecrystalline.
Body is darker when head but otherwise she is nice. I can send you pictures if you want :)
I'm sure we can agree on price too :)
//Centifolia (Flurry on swedish mlp site druvdalen)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal