collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Second Hand Dolls and Bed Bugs?  (Read 13573 times)

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Second Hand Dolls and Bed Bugs?
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2012, 10:44:26 AM »
I've heard from a number of people that they've gotten ponies that had cat pee on them...it seems like I hear about it too often, actually, which makes me wonder if it really is that, or something else like moisture in the bag/toys that promotes some sort of bacteria/fungal growth that builds up in there and smells like ammonia.

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2012, 02:27:46 PM »
I've heard from a number of people that they've gotten ponies that had cat pee on them...it seems like I hear about it too often, actually, which makes me wonder if it really is that, or something else like moisture in the bag/toys that promotes some sort of bacteria/fungal growth that builds up in there and smells like ammonia.

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2012, 03:12:15 PM »
if it smells like that dunk it in some enzyme cleaner it might help .....

emera_lazzaly

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2012, 05:02:28 PM »
Eww this is so creepy! I know bed bugs come from beds or couches and such that are infested with them. You can see them but they can be illusive. The only for sure way to kill them is turn the temp up to 120! It's so gross!

I know someone who had them and had to have treatments done on their house and they told me all about the treatment. It's crazy...I hope I never get them! I'd die! I hate bugs!

Offline hlbmlp

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2012, 05:47:56 PM »
it might be the spray they use.  In PA all toys have to be tested somewhere for chemicals and such and then we have to spray them with chemicals for germs and other things... that stuff they spray smells horrendous and it leaves things... crunchy... like blankets and animals and hair...  That stuff is supposed to kill bugs.
I have never had problems at thrift stores, but i have found earwigs and spiders inside of ponies and hair from yardsales and fleamarkets.  I would be more worried about them than i would the thrift stores!
My Etsy . My Blog

If i owe you feedback pm me, my brain is not always here.

thanks kiwisquirtbottle for helping with codes!!! <3

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2012, 10:41:29 AM »
I'm sure it was cat pee. I've bought probably 100 ponies from this thrift store over time and never had one smell like cat pee before this. Nothing in the store smells like cat pee so why would they have sprayed just this one toy? It looked like it had spent time in somebody's garage or backyard anyway.

Lon-san

« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2012, 10:08:54 PM »
I don't have that much faith in thrift stores. I bought ponies in a bag once and got home and opened it up to the strong smell of cat pee. It took forever to clean them and wait for the smell to go away. They put cat pee ponies in a bag to give to little kids. How nice. Imagine if some little kid had played with unclean toys with cat pee and gotten sick.

I bought a bag with some dolls in it. I opened it up and there was foul liquid in it. Not just a smell. Actual liquid. Barf.  :X

Offline hlbmlp

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 29, 2012, 06:24:24 AM »
I don't have that much faith in thrift stores. I bought ponies in a bag once and got home and opened it up to the strong smell of cat pee. It took forever to clean them and wait for the smell to go away. They put cat pee ponies in a bag to give to little kids. How nice. Imagine if some little kid had played with unclean toys with cat pee and gotten sick.

I bought a bag with some dolls in it. I opened it up and there was foul liquid in it. Not just a smell. Actual liquid. Barf.  :X
this is absolutely disgusting!  on both cases you could tell the store.  I dont know if theyd do anything but im sure that they'd stop or try harder to not put out gross merch  if they thought the health department would be down their back... gosh! maybe i'm just used to really nice thrift stores. 
I'm glad you guys got these and not kids!  If i was a mom that got these i would make a stink! And i dont normally do that kind of thing!
My Etsy . My Blog

If i owe you feedback pm me, my brain is not always here.

thanks kiwisquirtbottle for helping with codes!!! <3

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 29, 2012, 10:11:56 AM »
UHHHHG now I'm paranoid about an old school Glo Worm doll I bought from the Sally Ann last weekend Dx I didn't see anything on it and it's super clean, but now I kinda wanna inspect it a bit better O__o I buy far too many 2nd hand plush, but haven't experienced bed bugs from any..... YET >.<

Not to make light of the serious situation that bedbugs are, but...

You're concerned that a Glo-Worm toy has bugs in it?  ;)  *giggles playfully*  It's already wormy! 

Sorry, sorry, now we can carry on respectfully!
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Lady.Arachnia

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I, Myself, am Strange and Unusual...
    • View Profile
    • Boutique Gothique, Very Unique Gothic & Fantasy Wear & Jewelry
« Reply #39 on: February 29, 2012, 01:40:07 PM »
Yuk when reading this i have the itch everywhere....brrr! I last saw a Dr Ozz show about bed bugs...they are nasty!

Thank you Artists for Itsy Bitsy Spider Pony! xxx

Offline MsTwilight

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 29, 2012, 09:02:25 PM »
This thread had me thinking.... how nasty could a super rare pony be and you'd still buy it at a thrift store?

It would have to be mega nasty for me! Greek Ladybird covered in cat pee + bedbugs??? She'd be mine!!! lol She'd have to ride home in the bag, out the window and live in the backyard for awhile but she'd still be mine! rofl

Offline Lady.Arachnia

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I, Myself, am Strange and Unusual...
    • View Profile
    • Boutique Gothique, Very Unique Gothic & Fantasy Wear & Jewelry
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2012, 04:45:11 AM »
Owh yes...filthy ponies are still mine..mine..mine!! *grabby hands*
Even if they are covered with *that brown stuff coming out of your behind* I have always a little plastic baggie in my coat pocket for the *little accidents* of my doggie so i will put that around the pony.

Dirt can be washed off, and for the bacteria there is bleach or any other desinfectant!

Thank you Artists for Itsy Bitsy Spider Pony! xxx

Offline apanda0622

• Trade Count: (+177)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2012, 07:22:56 AM »
I used to buy toys from a certain Goodwill until I realized they had fleas on them.  I wasn't going to shop there anymore, but they have cleaned up the toy asile and I haven't had any more problems with fleas.    I do worry about lice, bed bugs, and fleas when buying toys from thift stores.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal