collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The Worst, Possible, Thing!  (Read 5464 times)

Offline Kitkumi

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • My life is my story.
    • View Profile
The Worst, Possible, Thing!
« on: February 15, 2012, 11:14:45 PM »
Is realizing that for a short time in your life you had a massive, MASSIVE collection of G1 ponies and you... got rid of them T__T

Anyway, I have just really gotten in to the pony thing. I was a fan of it as a kid, but felt I had out grown it. Then FiM came out and suddenly eveything is just like "PONY!" lol. When I was a kid I had a pretty big collection of the G1 stuff; most came from flea markets. My dad would buy them for me really cheap (I remember getting some for a quarter in almost mint condition). I also had some of the G2s (my current goal is to at least get one G2 again, lol). I thought about going through some of my old boxes that I've kept from my childhood to see what I had left, but then I remembered that when I outgrew MLP, I donated ALL of them. Talk about regrets, but I never would have guessed that after fifteen years or so I would be back to being interested in it lol.

Has this sort of thing ever happened to anyone else here?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to Moonflower and Amenoo for my avi/sig

Offline Varkolak

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Mimic <3
    • View Profile
Re: The Worst, Possible, Thing!
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 11:24:57 PM »
that happened to me with tamagotchis. i out grew them and got bored with them. i had a p1 (80's version) american angel one mint in the box (those are sought after) and i let my (now ex boyfriend) open it. and i played with it. and i sold it for way below its worth price because i wanted someone else to enjoy it. after i sold all my tamagotchis they came out with music star and the tamagotchi color and i wanted them all back sooo bad.

Offline kiwimlp

• Intros and Brags Mod
  • *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • I am Negan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 12:15:58 AM »
You are definitely not alone, Kitkumi.  Many members here have similar stories of parting with their collection at yard sales when they 'grew out' of ponies.  I'm so sorry you no longer have your childhood ponies and hope you manage to at least find some nice replacements for them :)

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 01:41:02 AM »
Yes....I only got into collecting after discovering my childhood ponies were "given away"....only found this out 15 years after the fact of course! But it has been so much fun trying to recollect those I had and adding to my collection with different ponies too!

Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline littlexflitter

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sparklesugar.com/
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 05:33:12 AM »
Aww, that's too bad! I didn't have the same thing happen with ponies, mostly because I only had two as a child, but there have been a few things I've donated or sold that I later wished I had kept. It just happens! Good luck rebuilding your collection~

Offline kellyponyfeathers

• Trade Count: (+179)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • MLP: Gotta catch 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 06:25:38 AM »
I took a break from pony collecting but thankfully never gave any away; still have my entire childhood collection of 60 or so with accessories.  But my mom, who hates clutter (even if it's organized), threw out some of my boxes and backcard ages ago (yes, I even saved the cards when I was a kid). What's maybe worse, she convinced me to donate my Voltron toys.  *sigh*  I had Voltron, some action figures, and--gah!--the castle too!  My mom said that I was being selfish and should give them to the poor kids.  Generosity is great and admirable and all, but only if it's something you really want to do.  Even at the time I didn't really want to give away my Voltron toys; I was just guilted into it.
Nirvana grails:  Reverse Gusty (upgrade), Peru Windy and Moonstone (upgrade), Brazil TAF upgrades, Argie Powder w/ white hair (upgrade), French Windy and Moondancer (upgrades), Spain TAF's, TE's, and piggies.  These are my biggest wants, but I'm looking for tons more nirvanas, especially Greeks, Brazilians, and Peruvians.  Feel free to PM me for sales or trades.  But please note that I'm also fairly picky.

Offline Oneleo1

• sounds like oreo
  • Trade Count: (+259)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • E-crater Oneleo1
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 06:57:57 AM »
I was lucky and the ponies I had were hand me downs. I didn't have a ton, but I held onto them through the years because I loved horses!
Man who wear lampshade on head is bright!

*** Want List *** My Trade/Sale Page *** Rehairs & Deflock Services available. PM me for details :)

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 09:37:55 AM »
But now you're back!  And you can start appreciating ponies again.  Who knows, maybe someone here is taking care of your childhood friends now?  :) 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 09:40:00 AM »
I was lucky enough to save all of mine, but I did get rid of my Polly Pockets and Bitsy Bears which I regret :(
My Wish List

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 09:40:21 AM »
I used to have a bunch of really old McD toys that I just threw out... little did I know some collectors will pay BIG bucks for some of the rare old Happy Meal toys!
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline kittybethy

• Trade Count: (+266)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Life is way to precious to spend it being cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 09:41:07 AM »
I lost 2/3 of my childhood pony collection in a family move in 2003.  It was a sad day for me when I realized that all my beloved ponies (including my favorite) were missing!

That is how I got reintroduced to MLP collecting!

Offline Eternia

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • MOC Mimic
  • The girliest
    • View Profile
    • Oat Couture
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2012, 09:42:09 AM »
Happens a lot. I had a ton as a kid, went through my "I don't like toys anymore" phase and sold off most of them. Thankfully, I held on to the ones that were 'different' or super special.
My Wantlist! Connect with me! Facebook Tumblr Flickr Instagram=oatcouturepony & charmingplastics
No girly swap this year!

Offline Rika_of_Thunder

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2012, 09:48:26 AM »
Yup, thankfully I was able to keep a hold of the actual G2s from my childhood collection, but all of my beloved fakies are nowhere to be found :C

Something that really makes me angry though is when I was a kid I was a HUGE fan of Yoshis, mostly because of the Yoshi's Story game for the N64. I was so happy to have gotten a hold of a big Yoshi plush that made sounds when you squeezed it. However, it sat for maybe a year in my closet before my mom decided on her own that I didn't want it anymore. So she snuck into my closet, took it, and sold it without even telling me. She also did this with other toys of mine, including a Tomagachi plushie I'd bought with my own money, and when you're a little kid, that's a HUGE deal.

Offline sweetstuff

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Did someone say ponies?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2012, 09:55:48 AM »
Well, I never lost hold of my original herd. However, my mom got rid of my Dream Castle and Perm Shop when I was "too old".  thankfully I was able to replace my Dream Castle, still hoping to one day replace the Perm Shop.

My regret is that I don't have my old Remco unicorn fakies. I don't recall throwing them out, so I'm sure it was when my mom purged out our room at one point. With all the fakies I've found, I've never come across ones like the few I had.

I also wished I hadn't sold my Fashion Fillies at our yard sale before I moved out west. I only had two - but they were complete with all their accessories.

and I also wish I knew what happened to my bag of little unicorn erasers. Does anyone else remember those? they used to sell them at our elementary school shop for $0.05. They were white with colored tails/manes/horns. Little itty bitty things, but I loved them. I think I must have had one in every color.

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2012, 10:35:07 AM »
Yeah I was in the mindset "too cool for toys" and got rid of all of my collection save for two. If it wasn't for Medley though I don't think I would ever be here. So in a way I thank her because she started me up collecting again.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal