collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Customizing Mountain Boys...?  (Read 25248 times)

Offline littlexflitter

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sparklesugar.com/
Re: Customizing Mountain Boys...?
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2012, 05:44:34 AM »
I'm not sure how I feel about it. On the one hand, your ponies are your ponies. I don't like dictating what other people should do with their belongings. However, the Mountain Boys are very rare and quite sought-after, so using one as the base for a custom doesn't seem like a good idea. I'm not sure she couldn't have dyed another Big Brother pony to the hue of Fireball if she really wanted to make a reimagined Fireball. As much as some collectors may wish, there's really nothing that can be done to stop another person from removing a pony--however sought-after--from collectable circulation by modifying it.

I hope that the winners of the customs truly adore them, because that will be a perfect match between buyer and seller and pony and collector.

Offline ashes

• Forever Orange Site Mod
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2012, 05:52:46 AM »
It's sad to customize ponies that are so sought-after, but at the same time, people can do what their wish with their own ponies.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

thanks to jupi for my avi and harvestmoongirl for my siggy!

Check out my website: artbyashes.com

Offline PonySeeker128

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • Customs
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2012, 05:57:55 AM »
Ugh, I agree with all of you. Its sad to see people be so "blissfully ignorant" with customizing in areas they shouldn't go. It is kind of an unwritten code in the pony world that you should make sure you aren't baiting ponies that are treasured and valued among collectors.. unfortunately some people just don't care (or don't know what to do with one in poor condition) and decide to just customize them rather then restore them or give them to someone who will or will keep them in their collection regardless of how they look. It makes me sad :( Let me just add that it is that persons own descision to do what they wish with their ponies despite how others may feel, if they wish to customize ponies collectors don't agree with they will do what they wish as it is their pony.. :(
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 06:02:32 AM by PonySeeker128 »
Deviant Art~Commissions Are CLOSED~
Wishlist (MH)

Offline tootie_tails

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2012, 06:16:35 AM »
I don't mind this at all.  :)

People always complain when they see harder to find ponies customized, even when we don't know how it came about...
Sometimes htf ponies are nearly impossible to sell because they have an ugly cancer spot or other blemish. The buyers will tend to pass and hold out until they find one in better condition. So to be able to sell at all you will have to lower the price so much that you might not find it worthwhile. I have sold mountain boys for $25 myself and more than once I have seen mountain boys in manky condition go for $15-18 on ebay.
And if a seller like that happens to be a customizer...I can understand how they might rather take the opportunity to get an unusual bait than sell for low.

-

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2012, 06:22:42 AM »
I kind of think its up to the person who the ponies belong to...we dont collect "for the sake of the community" and we dont hold ponies in trust for the sake of collectors as a whole....so I wouldnt criticise anyone for doing whatever they like to their pones...

I am not saying that it doesnt send a shiver down my spine [lol]! just that its not for me to judge...
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Icecrystalline

• Guardian of Dreams
  • Trade Count: (+128)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • No longer active.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2012, 06:55:16 AM »
I think what they've done with them is fantastic but I reckon they were Steamer and someone else. :) They're stunning work though! xxx

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2012, 07:05:48 AM »
The fact that the seller's name contains "Sundance" does not sit right with me. I know there's the Sundance Film Festival. . .but that would be a big coincidence, especially considering they're selling another pony (rehaired) and knew how to customize.

While I live by the "its your pony, do what you want with it" rules, that just went way too far. Its only thing to customize truly baity common or even uncommon G1s, but rare ones? Uncustomized Ice Crystal and Fireball are up on eBay right now, $180 and $140 last I looked. The customizer knew their names, so obviously they could have very easily found out their worth. Heck I'm guessing they knew it since they made a point to mention their names. But still they destroyed rare, valuable collectibles. They could have restored the two if they need it or sold them how they were! I bet they'd have been able to afford at least a few truly baity non-rare G1 boys to customize.
And this is coming from someone who opened a G1 (she was only in a bag, not in a box or on a card, but still I got heat for it).

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2012, 07:20:14 AM »
Firebaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall. Noooooooooooooooooooooooo! :(

Neither of them look like they have any cancer - thought if their symbols were pretty much entirely gone, AND their hair was really bad/gone, there probably wouldn't be much difference in doing a 'restore' and a custom anyway, I guess.

This is what I was thinking. I mean if you had a monutain boy with no hair and the symbols completely rubbed off... doing a full restore back to "original" would be the same as doing a full custom, really. The only thing that's original is the body. Either way the pony would be nowhere near it's original value and the price for it would be priced as a custom. I mean we may never know what the ponies in question started out like, but just saying...

Offline kittybethy

• Trade Count: (+266)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Life is way to precious to spend it being cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2012, 07:53:06 AM »
i hope it wasn't a real MB!! That would be sad!

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2012, 08:01:42 AM »
we dont collect "for the sake of the community" and we dont hold ponies in trust for the sake of collectors as a whole....
Maybe you don't feel that way... Some of us actually collect to preserve the things we like, which kind of implies thinking about the larger collecting community, not just because we want it.

If that's not your reason for buying ponies, fine, I'm not going to judge or tell you what to do, but not everyone has the same attitude about collecting.

Offline Bunny-san

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ponydex.com
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2012, 08:06:45 AM »
Ok, um. You know, there's not knowing when you customize a rare pony. Then there's doing it on purpose. That pisses me off. Ice Crystal is my grail pony. Now, if it IS a Salty, customized, I'm not as po'd, obviously, but were someone to knowingly customize an Ice Crystal, I would absolutely be livid. That guy is rare enough as it is without some jackwad going and destroying one. Knowingly. I don't care HOW beautiful the custom would be. There would be fireballs from my eyes. And bolts of lightning from my..well. You know where. And as far as I'm concerned, any IDIOT who knows WHAT they have is a Mountain Boy and doesn't try and either outright sell him for profit regardless of condition, or restore him gently and then sell him should be *CENSORED* and *CENSORED* then dragged by their *CENSORED CENSORED* and *CENSORED*. These things are now ANTIQUES guys. They should be treated as such. CARS that are 25 years or older are considered antiques. They're lovingly kept and restored and polished with DIAPERS. We should treat our elderly ponies with such love and respect. (Which is not to say I don't mind a customizer using a very very cancer ridden peachy or other common pony as bait. I'm simply saying Do your research, and RESPECT rare ponies.) :P Appologies for my rage :silly:

Thank you artists for my siggys!

Offline hlbmlp

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2012, 08:20:16 AM »
usually i say "it's your pony do what you want" but... what idiot would do that to a pony worth that much!??  If you can get more money for the original. DONT DO IT!!!!   if it was no hair no symboll.... well i still think you could get more money for it.  I think people WONT buy these guys becasue they know who they used to be...
My Etsy . My Blog

If i owe you feedback pm me, my brain is not always here.

thanks kiwisquirtbottle for helping with codes!!! <3

Offline babystarz

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2012, 08:28:06 AM »
Honestly, even the rattiest Mountain Boy is probably going to fetch more money restored than customized into something else. So from a financial standpoint, customizing makes no sense. Especially because the other Big Brother ponies have the same body mold, but cost so much less to buy for bait. I agree, your ponies your choice (lol - pro choice customization?) but it's sad to see such sought-after ponies altered when someone would love them in their original condition.

Offline tinrobo

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • clockwork robo pony *click* *whirr*
    • View Profile
    • Tinrobo's Etsy Shop
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2012, 08:42:07 AM »
I don't know if I like the idea of customisers having to answer to the community. It's their pony and if they want to customise it, they should be allowed to - I'd never do that myself but it is her(?) pony, and besides, if Fireball was buzzed and symbol-less she hasn't done any irreversible damage.

Offline Glacia471

• Trade Count: (+126)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2012, 08:47:20 AM »
You guys do know that Ice Crystal one wasn't originally an Icy, right? :what: It's the wrong pose to be him. The Fireball one on the other hand... could have been a real Fireball :yikes:

ETA: The 'Ice Crystal' isn't even in either of Salty's possible poses, so that one must really have been a baity boy, possibly Barnicle, since I don't know if 4-Speed can quite match that color.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 08:51:13 AM by Glacia471 »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal