collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: I always screw it up  (Read 3563 times)

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
I always screw it up
« on: February 14, 2012, 09:34:40 AM »
I feel like a dummy because I always seem to screw up the pricing on shipping. I want to offer the cheapest shipping possible for my buyers, but shipping always winds up coming up more than I estimated.

I have found that adding delivery confirmation ups the price a LOT.. But if I dont do confirmation, then how will I know that they got it ok?

I know that using the flat rate shipping options will almost always cost more as opposed to other option.. But I just feel so lost and dumb!

Can you guys give me a "Shipping for dummies" rundown? Like.. really dumb it down?

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: I always screw it up
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 10:08:32 AM »
Aww..don't be so hard on yourself  :)   It's not as hard as it seems.
Do you use a digital scale to weigh your items first? I will ask this before I go into more detail. :biggrin:
:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

Offline emery

• Dr. Quinn, Medicine Pony
  • Trade Count: (+488)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
    • emery's emporium - My Little Ponies & other toys for sale
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 10:14:49 AM »
I also want to ask... are you doing your shipping labels through Paypal? You get free delivery confirmation and also discounted shipping costs if you do so you may want to consider that! But as ponyland has asked about, you will need a scale for that!
My Little Ponies and other toys for sale on....
Facebook @EmerysVintageEmporium
Instagram @emerys_emporium

Offline Maniah

• Classifieds
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 11:28:00 AM »
The only scale I have to use at home is a food scale. My bathroom scale is digital.. The food scale only weighs up to a pound..

I did not know that about PayPal..

I always get worried about using paypal's shipping labels because I worry that it wont be enough postage and it will get sent back. >.< I am just clueless.

Offline ponylady

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 12:02:45 PM »
I would get yourself a digital scale.  They are cheap and can be picked up at Walmart or ebay.  It's crucial if you want to save money and print your labels online.

Here is a link, it's about shipping for ebay but it gives the basics for doing it online and how to properly do it:
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/shipping-ebay-items-with-the-us-postal-service.html

Hope that helps! :)

I love Ohio Meat Pie

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 06:48:49 PM »
Dont worry hun! everyone has to start somewhere and most of us make a few mistakes with the shipping costs to start with :hug:  I'm gonna echo the advice already given here - get yourself a cheap digital kitchen scale - it will make it sooo much easier to get an accurate parcel weight and shipping price ;)
Shipping varies depending on the size and weight of the parcel, as well as the method you choose to send it, so if you have an accurate weight of the parcel first, thats half the battle :)
shipping with delivery confirmation always costs quite a bit more, but if the parcel goes missing you can make a claim with the PO to get your money back. First class is cheap, but the PO will not refund you anything should the parcel go missing in the mail, and buyers will almost certainly win if they open a paypal case.  TBH if the item is of any big value then its always best to get delivery confirmation. if the item is pretty low value then first class might be worth the risk - I've had literally hundreds of parcels sent to me from the US this way and hardly ever had one go missing (it can happen though).
Hopefully you will find Ponylady's link helpful too :)   

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline Maniah

• Classifieds
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 12:21:33 AM »
Thank you guys for the advice and support. I'll just have to see what I can locate for a scale :)

Offline kCherry

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+244)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • *-* Smart Doll Obsessed *-*
    • View Profile
    • Studio 7th Sanctuary is now on Facebook
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 01:15:31 PM »
Great advice here! Scales are crucial for accurate shipping estimates! Good luck finding one that suits your needs!

ETA: I use a food scales for my purposes; have you tried using the one you have? It's not good for heavy parcels, but I use mine for packages under two pounds with excellent results!!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 01:17:04 PM by kCherry »

My Etsy shop O Ponies *** My Youtube Channel

Offline Whoa1234

• Trade Count: (+114)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 02:15:37 PM »
If it makes you feel any better, the post office royally ruined my day today.

My shipping should have been $5.10 with priority mail, went there in person and they wanted $12!!
Which I did not have because it was supposed to be, $5.10!!!

I'm feeling pretty upset and like an moron.

Offline Maniah

• Classifieds
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 01:31:24 AM »
That is what always happens to me too!! I wind up paying the difference because I already quoted the person the lower price. It's so frustrating and it happens every single time.

Offline ButtercreamDream

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+99)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 09:39:26 PM »
Don't worry, I've had this happen too.  I would give someone a quote, but I'd get to the post office, and find out that it was twice as much to ship.  I got a good digital kitchen scale for $15.  They go on sale frequently, if you keep a look out.  With that, and the online shipping calculator, I can figure out exact shipping now.

Offline Maniah

• Classifieds
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2012, 11:21:00 PM »
Yeah.. I'm starting to think I was being ripped off where I used to go..

I weighed a package today before shipping it. It was light enough to go on my food scale.. But putting in the weight and size, it was only like 10 cents cheaper than using the flat rate. Some of the options I'm still not sure about.

Like.. Shipping ponies.. I see people saying they will ship them in padded envelopes.. But with my custom ponies, I dont feel safe doing that. A box seems better, but is more expensive.

I saw on the usps.com website where I can get some free shipping materials, but Im not sure if these boxes are only for specific shipping types of what. Like, priority vs. first class.. First class is supposed to be cheaper, but can it still have a tracking number? Can I use the boxes on the usps.com website for it? Or can I just use any old box? For priority, do I have to use their boxes or can I just mark a box as priority?

Offline ponylady

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 03:41:55 AM »
The boxes that USPS provides are only for Priority, they do come in handy though at times.  But you can use your own box.  I have some stickers from the PO that say Priority that I ordered for free on their site.  I just stick them on the sides and top so they are aware that it is Priority and not First Class or Parcel Post.  I don't trust the PO  :lol: 

First Class does not have tracking but you can add delivery confirmation.  It for the most part tracks it but it insures that the item was indeed delivered to your buyer. And of course this is cheaper method.

Also I order my boxes and envelopes online in bulk to help save a little on supplies.  I have found a 6x6x6 box is good for one pony, like your customs to provide enough room to add extra protection.

Hope that helped a bit as it sounds like your off to a good start already!

I love Ohio Meat Pie

Offline darknessunisousboy

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+91)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • http://darknesscustomshack.webs.com/
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2012, 02:32:26 PM »
I feel like a dummy because I always seem to screw up the pricing on shipping. I want to offer the cheapest shipping possible for my buyers, but shipping always winds up coming up more than I estimated.

I have found that adding delivery confirmation ups the price a LOT.. But if I dont do confirmation, then how will I know that they got it ok?

I know that using the flat rate shipping options will almost always cost more as opposed to other option.. But I just feel so lost and dumb!

Can you guys give me a "Shipping for dummies" rundown? Like.. really dumb it down?

So don't be hard on your self I always seem to undercut on shipping quotes too :( but I have learned UPS is always more then USPS.

Offline Bunny-san

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ponydex.com
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2012, 03:13:16 PM »
I'm going through the same thing :( I had one package arrive at a buyer with a note on it saying "Postage Due" when I weighed it and payed for proper postage AT the post office! So yeah...I'm rather frustrated and new to this whole shipping business too. Dont feel bad. These are very good tips though!

Thank you artists for my siggys!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal