collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Any "riding" horse owners out there?  (Read 2797 times)

Offline babylicketysplit

• Bionic Spine Pony
  • Trade Count: (+49)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • In Spite of your Fear, Do what You have to Do
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Any "riding" horse owners out there?
« on: February 12, 2012, 05:41:56 PM »
 :lookround:  I'm seriously looking at purchasing a rideable horse for myself as i used to ride often but the last 2 years with the surgeries knocked me out of the game.   I have been severely depressed and feeling bad about myself lately and i think i need an outlet to regain some independence.  not to mention it would be nice to have a nice companion.  If i am able to afford him i am going to try to board him at a local facility  (this is a rescue horse that im trying to gather money for and he is older and very gentle and calm). 

any tips for boarding horses? 

I have a horse already but he lives down in texas right now and i do not ride him as he is only for stud use and is not broken.  So i have never had to board a horse anywhere before so i'm wondering what all i should need BEFORE purchasing a horse.   and what i should look out for and what all i need to know about horse boarding.

Please and Thank you  :) <3
Check out my  Esty Shop  and MyEbay Sales!
 (Profits are going to help pay for my Rescue Horse's medical bills) <3
http://myworld.ebay.com/baby_licketysplit
http://www.etsy.com/shop/PoniesAndPets

Offline Brightglowpony

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Re: Any "riding" horse owners out there?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 06:53:49 PM »
I have a rescue horse, and they are truly wonderful  :)   I just left a similar reply in Psyknife's thread about rescue horses, so I will pm you with some of the info on boarding that I sent to her :)
Wishlist
Thank you to Witch for my stunning avatar!

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 07:40:21 PM »
Not me, but good luck! I hope you'll post pics when you choose one!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline babylicketysplit

• Bionic Spine Pony
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 07:45:00 PM »
 :)  the one im looking at is a real handsome old gentleman.    a white thoroughbred.      his face is so beautiful, but its his demeanor that i like.  basically a big teddy.    its exactly what i need for my back, a horse thats not too forward.

Offline joce

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 10:06:55 AM »
Read pysknifes recent thread here that has a lot of info on cost.
http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,286674.0.html

Just be really careful because there are a lot of bad dealers and people just desperate to sell at this time. You will see an add start out as saying needs experienced rider to six months later saying great for beginner.  I have helped many people over the last couple years look for horses and I can tell you there are no free dead broke horses right now even in this economy. They all have issues-you just need to know if they are issues you can work with.

What level rider would you consider yourself? Do you know any trainers or people with lots of experience to take with you? What is your goal riding,just fun? What are you looking to pay? what breed? Stock? Gaited may be great for you!

Because you have had surgery it is a big issue that you have a very calm unspooky horse. So many people get a new horse and get thrown off once and get out of horses. You really need to look around and be sure this is the horse for you. Tell yourself you will look at ten horses before buying and pick the best fit. There are a lot of good options out there but horse shopping is sooooo much worse than car shopping.

Some people like to go catch the horse out of the pasture to see if they are hard to get. Of course tell the people to leave him out. Look to see if the horse is sweaty and if mud and water is around the ankles because while maybe they did just wash it they may have worked the heck out of it to tire it out for you.  watch how it is in the pasture with the other horses. does it nip,run after them or do the other pick on it?(this was a big issue with my first horse and he was bottom of the herd. Not good because some will go threw a fence etc,have bites every day etc).

Bring the horse in and brush it. feel it all over. Does it flinch kick etc. Will it let you touch its sheath. Do you know how to clean a sheath it you get a gelding? will it let you get in its mouth. act like your going to give it wormer. Pick up all feet and clean them out. when you tack it up does it react ok to bit,bridle and girth? (so many people have bad bits and poorly fitting saddles I feel bad going to try some horses out!).

Depending on what type of place you are at they may or may not lunge first. Smaller circles you can see them off first. Watch closely.

Have the owner ride first. If they won't-and I have had this happen many times,it is usually best to walk away. I always almost means they are going to be a mess when you get on and the owner says they never did that with me,but my back is just bad today. If you feel comfortable after they ride get on. Have the horse walk trot canter and back. If you want this to be a trail horse do not feel bad asking to take the horse out for a trail ride.

And the horse always has some vice. I will not buy a horse that cribs. They are nervous and they tear up their stalls. I have a horse that is so messy in his stall and you can strip his stall at night and have to do it again in the morning. Boarding barns hate him!!!

Do NOT buy without a pre purchase exam (ppe). No matter what the cost of the horse if it will have life long health issues its worth it to know and avoid it. For you I would not even look at a horse under ten. You want a been there done that horse. My bfs first horse was an eighteen year old mare and she is still going strong years later.

Other things to ask when you call to inquire about the horse are basic things like have they ever bucked, kicked, do you have tack(yes the people said we ride every day but had no tack and the horses were at best green broke when we got out own). Explain you have had surgery and you may get more honesty. I know some dealers who go to auctions and the things they say are sick. the one takes pics of his grandson and says it has been his horse for the last four years when it came from auction a week ago. And all horses act up-especially when moving to a new barn so get a trainer especially during the transition.

For finding the boarding barn go look at them and find one with turn out and that has fresh water in all the stalls.  Read up about colic. Turn out and water helps. You want to find a place you and the horse are comfortable in. Some barns are all drama. Find one with people like you and you will be fine. My first was all show people and we did not get along as I just wanted to do trails.

Make sure the fencing is safe. Look at what they feed. Some horses need more than others where some stay fat on air. I don't like sweet feed-my one gelding will be nuts on it,literally bucking and kicking.

Some places do not have locking tack lockers so keep your tack in your car. Its not worth it getting stolen.

I really suggest joining a horse forum.  I am on horse grooming supplies forum,tons of info there.

I typed that out kind of quick and was everywhere but if you have any questions just ask!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 10:10:13 AM by joce »
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.
-Roger Caras

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 10:18:34 AM »
i haven't bought a horse of my own, but been round horses for a long time, joce has it covered.

also if you have an experienced horsey buddy who you trust and has a good eye for horse flesh take them along too ;) two pairs of eyes are better than one.

also it may take some time to find your horse perhaps upto a year.

love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 04:23:08 PM »
Looks like you have a lot of information to help you out.  goodluck :)

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline babylicketysplit

• Bionic Spine Pony
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 04:39:45 PM »
 ;)  Great info guys!!

and i consider myself to be an expertly trained rider (considering i used to teach hunter jumper, endurance trail, and basic horsemanship before my surgeries)   ^.^     I just have never boarded my own horse, its why i ask because i always leased or used a lesson horse for everything.   i have been trained in horsemanship since i was 10.   its really just the boarding i am having trouble with as i never had to do it.  :lookround:

Thank you for all that helpful info Joce.   I knew a lot of what you mentioned but some things i did not know! or consider when purchasing.      and the horse i am looking at is 17 years old.  and the owner described him to me as a great babysitter lol. which is exactly what i want, a calm horse i can take out and just ride with.  i will do at least the first 3 gaits walk, trot, canter.   as long as he is trail safe im good.   
 i can handle a high strung horse but i would PREFER not to since my back is the way it is now.  i really just want to ride again for pleasure and physical activity and bonding.   i am not interested in showing anymore.  not with my back.   (going on sunday to meet him and give him a little test run. to see his temperment etc. )
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 04:43:10 PM by babylicketysplit »

Offline joce

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 05:57:45 PM »
 Before you purchase I would really consider trying some gaited breeds. They are so smooth and may be really good for your back. I know people with arthritis that had to give up riding that got back into it after riding gaited. Makes a huge difference.

Good luck!
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.
-Roger Caras

Offline okapishomapi

• Programming Pony
  • Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • NERD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 06:39:22 PM »
Before you purchase I would really consider trying some gaited breeds. They are so smooth and may be really good for your back. I know people with arthritis that had to give up riding that got back into it after riding gaited. Makes a huge difference.

Good luck!

Oh man, that's such a good idea for someone who's had back problems!! Plus gaited breeds are really popular on the trails, recently.

Good luck with your test run, BLS!

Thank you, taxel and Antlercat!
Okapi's Want List ~ Fishmeal Ref ~ Shomapi Ref

Offline Brightglowpony

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 07:25:47 PM »
Good luck!  You'll have to let us know how it goes!
Wishlist
Thank you to Witch for my stunning avatar!

Offline psyknife

• Trade Count: (+94)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.personalfitnessathome.com
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 01:16:15 PM »
I'm with ya!  Hopefully we shall both become happy horse owners soon :)
Personal Fitness At Home ~ Home Fitness Programs To Help You Succeed

Applebuck

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 01:32:21 PM »
My mom owns 5 Morgans at our home here in Massachusetts... only 2 are rideable though, as 2 others are still young and one is too old (33 years old!). I don't personally ride them-- I don't really trust them haha -- but I do take care of them on a daily basis. If you were closer I'd nudge my mom into giving one away to you, since we don't have much time to work with them due to everyone in the house having long work hours, school, or both.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal