collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: wasp, hornets, and bees  (Read 5294 times)

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
wasp, hornets, and bees
« on: February 10, 2012, 08:37:15 PM »
ok so i work in a return center for soda and beer bottles and that means lots and lots of wasp/bees/hornets in the room.  I tend to feel sorry for them so i pick them up with my bare hands and let them go outside.  I am serious about picking them up I will pick all of these little guys and gals up. On top of that i feed them soda on my fingers too, and the wasps will just nibble it off very gently. This tends to scare people at times but i am perfectly fine with them.  In fact when i still worked outside they would fall asleep on my hand as well and i would let them.  In a way i am wondering how do all of you fell about this? I have no problem with them and they like to land on me as well and i have never gotten stung by them. The largest one i ever had on my hand was a 2 1/2 inch long yellow jacket.

Offline teresat

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Pony Cow
    • View Profile
Re: wasp, hornets, and bees
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 09:36:16 PM »
Wow! That's amazing and really cool! You have a unique talent. If you are comfortable with them that's great. I'm really scared of yellow jackets, hornets, and wasps. I am fascinated by carpenter bees and honey bees but I keep my distance from all of them. :)
:biggrin: >_<^.^

Offline kittybethy

• Trade Count: (+266)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Life is way to precious to spend it being cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 09:45:24 PM »
That's cool, but I run from those things!

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 10:00:41 PM »
I won't touch a yellow jacket. They're the most aggressive where I live. I often go out and mist the blue mud wasps with the hose in the summer and they will swarm all around me drinking off any wet surface. It helps to give them an area to drink if you want to work with water undisturbed. The way I see it, wasps are predators of each other and I'll help the friendly ones so they outcompete the yellow jackets.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline StarSwirl05

• Pearlized G3 Prototype Pony
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Njyugioh
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 04:51:36 AM »
Not going near them with a 10 foot pole. Been stung by a hornet and (apparently) a bee.

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 06:25:31 AM »
I prefer to be far from wasps and hornets and such, but I like bees fine. When my cousin and I were little, like really little, about 5 I guess, we used to catch brown honey bees in our hands and put them in little toy suitcases to keep as pets. We did always let them go again after a little while. We had neither one ever seen a hummingbird, picture or otherwise, only ever heard about them, and we thought these fuzzy little guys were hummingbirds. Our parents always got upset and kept telling us they were bees and not to mess with them or we'd get stung. We didn't believe them. They weren't bees. Bees sting and these little guys didn't. Brown honey bees are apparently VERY docile little bees because they never once stung us.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Sarah-Bee

• Alice Cooper's Minion Pony
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 07:54:18 AM »
I love bees! (see persona!) But I really hate wasps! They sting for no reason and are just nasty little things!

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2012, 08:10:42 AM »
I like bees well enough, but I will run a hundred yards if I hear a wasp!  It's about one of the only creatures that give me the creeps.

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline SurfStar

• Surfer Pony
  • Trade Count: (+61)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Wind, waves, 'n Sun...
    • View Profile
    • Spunsugar Confections
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2012, 08:31:42 AM »
I'm ambivalent about both really. They serve their places in life and I tend to tread them with a healthy amount of respect. Bee/wasp allergies run in my family and I've never been stung by either - I'd like to keep it that way too so I don't have to find out if I am allergic to them as well the hard way!

Offline Icecrystalline

• Guardian of Dreams
  • Trade Count: (+128)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • No longer active.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 08:35:38 AM »
I like bees because my grandma did and I will save them if they cannot fly but I refuse to touch them, I use a leaf or paper. I cry like a baby if they get too close...

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2012, 08:53:41 AM »
Ha you're like the wasp whisperer. That's neat that you've been able to befriend them so well. :) If I were in your position, I'd be scared to death.

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Offline kCherry

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+244)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • *-* Smart Doll Obsessed *-*
    • View Profile
    • Studio 7th Sanctuary is now on Facebook
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2012, 09:30:45 AM »
I am a bee-keeper, hoping to be certified Journeyman level this year, so you could say I'm kinda fond the little critters. :)

Wasps I deal with cause they are so beneficial, Hornets me no likey, but again beneficial so I deal.. until they get into the house. XD

I've never heard of such a big yellow jacket though; Are you sure it wasn't a cicada killer? http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y102/Digital-Nitrate/Misc/cicada_killer-11.jpg They are fairly docile. We have lots of them around and while there size always freaks me (I don't like yellow jackets AT ALL having been swarmed a couple of years back. Ouchey-wahwah!) I love to think about all the bugs they are munching on!! LOL

My Etsy shop O Ponies *** My Youtube Channel

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2012, 03:24:00 PM »
well another time when i worked outside on the patio i had a spider wasp that kept darting at me and stopping short. I know with wasps that means HEY YOU ARE TO CLOSE TO MY NEST. so i backed off and she darted at me then went back to her nest. I was out on the patio every day to clean the tables and she would come and hover around me then go back to the nest. one day she hovered near my hand and i opened it and the wasp gave me a paralyzed caterpillar and then flew away.   I had no idea why it did this i walked away then let another wasp have it.

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2012, 06:29:12 PM »
I'm deathly allergic :( I never used to be until I was stung by RIFA. I got stung by a wasp after the RIFA stings, and had to be hospitalized, so now I have epipens incase I ever get stung again. I like them though, but because of my allergy I try not to get in their way.

When it comes to spiders and non-stinging insects, I'm like you :) As a matter of fact, last night there was a big hunstman in the living room I caught and took outside. They never run from me, even though they're so incredibly fast. I just scoop them up, and they're fine. I think it's pretty neat ^^

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2012, 07:13:35 AM »
Bee Charmer, eh? You need to change your sn. I think it's good that you let them live...

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal