collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: home ed  (Read 6836 times)

Offline nuttertasha

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • nutter is me all over
    • View Profile
Re: home ed
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2012, 11:29:38 AM »
Personally I wouldn't wish any child of mine to go through what I did at public secondary school. They were the worst years of my life.
But of course, each area is different.

my entire schooling was the worst for me so i know how you feel
Formally butterfly gypsie rose

Offline kCherry

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+244)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • *-* Smart Doll Obsessed *-*
    • View Profile
    • Studio 7th Sanctuary is now on Facebook
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2012, 01:26:56 PM »
I've homeschooled my boys for the majority of their educational careers and am very proud to say that my eldest will graduate high school with Honors in 2013. :accomplished:
  It's been a little harder on my youngest boy since he's very social, but we have made a point to get involved in our community and he is very happy to spend time with his other homeschooled friends. They are both very well adjusted and not clingy at all!! XD

I had a horrendous public school experience myself, so when my boys started having issues in school I was more than happy to pull them out. Best decision we ever made; and we All think so. :)

If you ever need some support from a fellow Homeschooling parent feel free to PM me!! :lovey:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My Etsy shop O Ponies *** My Youtube Channel

Offline PinkRosedust

• Trade Count: (+117)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • How bout i do anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2012, 04:32:04 PM »
Wow, lots of hate for public school. Everyone is of course entitled to do what they want with their kids, but personally the only thing I'd want for my kids would be to go to public school. I just think there's no substitution for the experience. I can understand that schooling is hell for many kids (and honestly that's sad and there's NO excuse for it - pity some kids are so cruel to their peers) but for the majority, I think it's a good thing. And I don't mean the academics, as I'm sure most homeschooled kids get a good education - I'm actually talking about everything else. Exposure to lots of other kids, activities and field trips, and just the experience in general.

ETA: I notice a lot of parents who homeschool their kids had a bad school experience themselves. I personally feel that homeschool would have been completely wrong for myself, and that's one big reason I wouldn't want to homeschool my own kids.

Also, I wanted to say that I honestly feel like kids should be able to choose what they want themselves (assuming the parents are willing/wanting to homeschool) - if they're happy and well rounded being homeschooled, fine. But if they want to go to public school, I think they should be allowed to. I've heard stories of kids who wanted to go to public school but their parents wouldn't let them - I think that's really sad.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 04:38:21 PM by PinkRosedust »
MLP sales Here Jewelry on Etsy Vintage toys on Etsy Toys and things on ebay

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2012, 04:57:11 PM »
For me it won't be about "bad experiences". I am not satisfied with the lack of education that goes on in public schools. My nephew is currently in public school and thanks to no child left behind, all he's learning is how to pass a test. That doesn't cut it for me. I want my child educated and given options in life that public schools fail to offer because "there's not enough interest" or "no funding". There are other ways for children to interact with other children outside of a school setting. There is no reason that a home schooled child has to grow up sheltered and clingy or lacking social skills or experiences. Personally, I would prefer the private school option, but even then I will still be very involved with my child's education.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline bewilderness

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2012, 08:54:11 AM »
I am not satisfied with the lack of education that goes on in public schools. My nephew is currently in public school and thanks to no child left behind, all he's learning is how to pass a test. That doesn't cut it for me. I want my child educated and given options in life that public schools fail to offer because "there's not enough interest" or "no funding".
Got to agree there.  The public schools in the state I live in are terrible.  They don't offer much in the way of extracurricular activities or field trips or even classes (my high school didn't have calculus and even one year didn't have a foreign language; no band or music; no advanced placement courses).  And funding continues to be cut for them. 

As far as socializing homeschooled kids, there's homeschool groups that meet, and things like Scouts and 4H, and religious-related activities if you're religious, and some libraries offer programs for kids, especially in the summer, but ours will do activities throughout the year too.  And some museums will offer classes.  Then there's things like summer camp and Space Camp (Space Camp offers scholarships, or used to anyway, that's how I was able to go).

Offline kCherry

• *Arena VIP*
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2012, 09:23:40 AM »
But if they want to go to public school, I think they should be allowed to. I've heard stories of kids who wanted to go to public school but their parents wouldn't let them - I think that's really sad.

All of the children who are homeschooled in my community do so by Choice, not force!! As a matter of fact, my youngest boys best friend is homeschooled and his sister goes to public school. Both of my sons, the younger, more social one included, chose to be homeschooled. They are both smart enough to see that the one real gain they'd make in public schools is social, Not educational. When I put my children back into public schools for the second try after an out-of-state move their grades went from As and Bs at the beginning of the year to Cs and Ds by the end. Next Homeschooled year they were back up to As and Bs again. 'Nuff said.

I certainly don't think that homeschooling is for every child and nor for every parent. For those who are lucky enough to have good school systems, Great!! But, for those of us who find our public schools to be a place of horror... well, I seriously pity the individuals who don't have the choice for an alternative. I find that to be sad and am sooo thankful that my children don't have to live in a nightmare..

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2012, 10:15:34 AM »
My mom started homeschooling my little brother and youngest sister last year.

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Offline PinkRosedust

• Trade Count: (+117)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • How bout i do anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2012, 11:30:47 AM »
But if they want to go to public school, I think they should be allowed to. I've heard stories of kids who wanted to go to public school but their parents wouldn't let them - I think that's really sad.

All of the children who are homeschooled in my community do so by Choice, not force!! As a matter of fact, my youngest boys best friend is homeschooled and his sister goes to public school. Both of my sons, the younger, more social one included, chose to be homeschooled. They are both smart enough to see that the one real gain they'd make in public schools is social, Not educational. When I put my children back into public schools for the second try after an out-of-state move their grades went from As and Bs at the beginning of the year to Cs and Ds by the end. Next Homeschooled year they were back up to As and Bs again. 'Nuff said.

I certainly don't think that homeschooling is for every child and nor for every parent. For those who are lucky enough to have good school systems, Great!! But, for those of us who find our public schools to be a place of horror... well, I seriously pity the individuals who don't have the choice for an alternative. I find that to be sad and am sooo thankful that my children don't have to live in a nightmare..

Hey, sorry, I wasn't directing this at anyone here. =)

Like I said, I think it's fair when the child chooses what works best for them. If they choose homeschool, more power to them! My main issue is if a kid really desires to go to school and at least see what it's like for a year or two, I think it's wrong to not give them that chance. It's a chance that they'll never get again, you know? And if they do poorly, then the parents should definitely investigate what's wrong and see if anything can be helped.

I think I'm actually kind of biased or something because people talk about how awful public schools are but I never thought mine were bad. I think that's probably because I supposedly attended a really really good school system. I'm not going to say everything was totally perfect, but when people talk about horrors I just don't really know what they mean because - I guess - I never experienced it.

Is it that the teachers are uncaring? Or is it that the schools are dirty or unsafe? Are the materials way out of date? I'm just curious.
MLP sales Here Jewelry on Etsy Vintage toys on Etsy Toys and things on ebay

Offline xkelpiex

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • They/Them.or Fae/Faer pronouns pls
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2012, 11:44:23 AM »
I wouldn't only because I want my future kids to attend school in French, and my French is not really something I'd want them learning lol I speak Quebecois slang with terrible grammar and that's about it lol! But, I do have to say that if they ever started feeling like they absolutely hate school, I might consider it. I had horrible experiences as well, but then I had some really good ones, too, so I can't say I'm prejudiced about public school. I just wish there was a better system in place for bullying, which I think should be illegal.

Offline SurfStar

• Surfer Pony
  • Trade Count: (+61)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Wind, waves, 'n Sun...
    • View Profile
    • Spunsugar Confections
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2012, 11:54:11 AM »
As someone that is intimately involved in the school system, I honestly don't know whether or not I would send my kids to a public school (I don't have any, nor do I want children of my own). I've seen both sides of the educator coin - I was schooled privately throughout my secondary education because the public schools where I grew up were terrible. However, I also graduated before the implementation of the No Child Left Behind Act. I think that it makes educating children that much harder, especially as the state assessments aren't really being used to measure what they say they measure. The assessments might be reliable but they are not valid indicators of how well a school district can teach children.

My biggest issue isn't the lack of learning - since I have still seen many many kids be able to learn what they would like, my issue with with the sheer indoctrination that these kids go through. They aren't being taught to think or question things. They are being taught to look so called facts up in a book with little regard as to how they might be biased. As someone that works in "special education" I find it incredibly frustrating what teachers, administrators, and kids have to put up with because of the laws that have been passed. While I certainly don't begrudge anyone an education, school is VERY different than when I attended and that was only 10 years ago. I work in a very good school district in my area and I still don't think I would want my 'kids' to attend there.

Pink Rosedust@

To address some of your questions: I think that there is a mixture, there are a lot of teachers that are uncaring. I've done some classroom observations when a child is referred to me and have to then explain that I don't think it's the child since 2/3 of the teachers class is failing. Some of the teachers care, but get SO burnt out dealing with all of the other issues that arise that honestly, teachers really don't get to TEACH anymore. They are forced into very narrow confines of what is okay to teach based on the state curriculum standards (usually there is a legislative code). As teachers can, and have!, gotten fired if too many of their kids fail the state assessments. Many of the kids that are at my schools also never GET homework - everything is done entirely in their classes.

I also think that schools are more unsafe now than when I was in school, honestly, some of the garbage that goes on there would have gotten kids kicked out of school when I was attending. School administrators aren't allowed to do things like that anymore. Parenting is also another issue, for every 2 parents I get that are fabulous, amazing, and wonderful to work with, I get 8 that don't care one way or the other. It's very frustrating to me.  While I haven't personally worked in dirty schools, there ARE a great many that are outdated and with the funding cuts they just don't have the money to keep up the building, the staff, the materials, and everything else. It's really sad.

Offline nuttertasha

• Dabbles Pony
  • nutter is me all over
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2012, 01:26:28 PM »

If you ever need some support from a fellow Homeschooling parent feel free to PM me!! :lovey:

first of all thank you so much i will do.

secondly i agree that each child should be able to chosse wear they go school or home and if my son or daughter want to go to school later on then i shall do what it takes to get them there.
i shall keep in mind everything everyone said on here

Offline kCherry

• *Arena VIP*
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2012, 12:52:55 PM »

Hey, sorry, I wasn't directing this at anyone here. =)

No worries. I didn't think you were directing your comment at any of the ponies posting here. ;)

first of all thank you so much i will do.

Anytime. :)

Offline Bunny-san

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ponydex.com
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2012, 02:41:30 PM »
I an honestly say that I went through my entire schooling career in one of the "best" school districts in the country. Socially, I had three friends, and honestly it was beause the calibur of people available in the school to socialize with was...lacking. I have high standards of behavior I guess. You know, I didn't drink, smoke, or have sex. Oh and drugs were right out. So that eliminated 98.8% of the population, thus leaving me with five friends. Plus TWO from middle school! (One of which moved to PA and one of which became home schooled!) Wow. So there goes the argument for public schools being a socaial haven. At least in this (super awesome) School district I'm in.

My Brother is currently going through the same hgh school I went through, and has all A's and B's in his subjects EXCEPT for algebra which he is failing. He is highly functioning Apergers, and has an IEP plan which his algebra teacher is staunchly ignoring. His teacher, councilor, and principals areCONSTANTLY ignoring and passing the buck on to the next person whenever my mother emails them about trying tosolve the problem. Oh, and did I mention that this teacher is the SAME one that taught ME?

Every day I (he) we roamed the halls thanks to redrawn district lines, we have (had) to deal with the constant presence of lowlifes who made it a daily hobby to start fights in the hall. I can tell you from personal experience that you haven't LIVED until you've gotten stuck in the middle of a Latina catfight with an 8 high stack of books in your arms. Terrifying. @_@

So, when you stack the factors of burnt out uncaring teachers, unsavory student populations (of EVERY RACE), poor standards of education, and just a general feeling of failure; go ahead, ask me if I'll home school my son.

YES. I will. He can join swim teams, Boy Scouts, church groups, service groups, tennis teams, choruses, kids' theater groups, WHATEVER his heart desires, but he will not step FOOT in a public school. We will meet with local home shool groups for socialization, and he can have whatever activities he wants otherwise, but public school is out of the question. As far as I'm concerned, its my responsibility as a parent to make the big decisions for him as far as his welfare goes. If we move to a more desireable district where the kids act like human beings instead of monsters, I may reconsider. But until then, I think I'm pretty dead set on home schooling him.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 02:46:55 PM by Bunny-san »

Thank you artists for my siggys!

Offline nuttertasha

• Dabbles Pony
  • nutter is me all over
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2012, 03:16:20 PM »
bunny after reading that i do not blame you at all it sounds scary.

when i put this up here it was just to see who was and would and to find out why i had no idea that so many people had bad schools around them or expriences in school it just makes you wonder why school has to be so bad.
dont get me wrong there are some fantastic schools out there and some children do better than others. im not saying home schooling should be done by everyone god no not everyone wants to or can im just saying im glad ive done it, and those whos children love going to school and are doing well thats brillant it proves some schools are great.
the schools close to us here are well how would you put it not to my liking at all so im glad we have home schooled.

Offline ashes

• Forever Orange Site Mod
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2012, 04:15:39 PM »
I went to one of the best school districts in the country (the same one my kids are attending), and I never experienced any problems.  I loved going to school.  True, there were the trouble kids (as there are in every school), but the majority of the student population was pretty even tempered.  Bullying was rare, horrible teachers did get replaced (I know, I had a bad one for Algebra II and she was replaced the following year), and most of the kids wanted to do well to go to college.  *shrugs* 

At the school my daughter attends now there is high parent participation in everything, an active program to promote being a peacemaker instead of a bully, and teachers and yard duties alike will give kids notes to take home when they catch them doing something positive (like pick up trash, or being nice on the playground, or being helpful to another kid) to promote positive reinforcement of good behavior.  So I don't think all hope is lost for public schools.

I might add that I used to teach private art classes from my home studio in the afternoons to school-aged children.  About half of my students were home-schooled kids, and I often had the most discipline problems arise from them.  They had a different frame of reference socially from my other students who went to public or private schools, and they had authority issues (they were always the ones back-talking to me and I constantly was discussing their behavior with their parents.  I mean really, it's an art class.  Why so argumentative?)   I'm sure not all home-schooled kids are like that, but that was just my experience with them.  Right now I definitely take our great public school over the option of home schooling.

thanks to jupi for my avi and harvestmoongirl for my siggy!

Check out my website: artbyashes.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal