collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Question about G2 ponies.  (Read 9361 times)

10yearbazooka

• Trade Count: (0)
Question about G2 ponies.
« on: February 07, 2012, 04:41:59 PM »
I've read that G2 ponies weren't very popular and the line was discontinued in the US after a year. Does anyone know why they were so unpopular? I'd also like to know what your opinion on them is: Do you like them? Do you have any in your collection?

I actually really like them and if I had the extra money I would collect them. Right now I can barely afford buying G4 ponies, but in the future I might purchase some.

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
Re: Question about G2 ponies.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 04:48:10 PM »
My guess is that at that time people didn't like them, personally I liked them as a kid (then again I liked any pony)

I still like them even now, they actually have a bit of elegance if you look at them compared to the G1 line (but that is my opinion)
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline butterflybuttons

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Feeling the G2 love
    • View Profile
    • My outdated DA
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 04:48:52 PM »
I love the G2's now.

When they first came out I thought they were awful, they didn't look anything like the G1 ponies I had grown up with.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 04:49:39 PM »
I think it's just one of those things, where for whatever reason they didn't sell well in the US but did overseas.

The same thing happened with Keypers, IIRC.  They were kinda-sorta popular in the US, but REALLY REALLY popular in the UK.

They also had really poor, almost nonexistent marketing, and the few US commercials for them featured freaky CGI ponies.   Transformers look good in CGI . . . Ponies, not so much.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline apanda0622

• Trade Count: (+177)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 04:51:10 PM »
I did not like G2s when they came out but I love them now--they grow on you.

Offline Catlein

• Pony of Law
  • Trade Count: (+59)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Canadian law student obsessed with MLP and MH :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 04:53:56 PM »
G2s came out just as I was getting out of toys. I wonder if that was the case for many of the kids who liked MLP at the time. When I saw them in the 1990s, I rejected them since they looked so different, but now I have quite a few! I really like their colours and designs. Maybe if some of the more interesting ones had been released in North America, they might not have bombed so badly.

Dyzarktarzk

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 05:15:33 PM »
I loved them, and still do.

I only got 2-3 new in box (one was a Christmas present...), and got really upset when they discontinued them ;_;

I can't remember watching a tv commercial featuring them, and maybe they weren't that liked due to poor marketing, and because us who grew with the G1 were more fond (?) of the 'chubbier' bodies, G2s being a lot different (on my eyes, not so much, I prefer them over the SHS, and... they had boys!)

Offline 01mlplover

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 05:28:12 PM »
They were released when i was younger and i can remember so many times that we would go shopping i would get to pick one out. Here recently ive changed my focus in collecting to G2's. They will always be special to me.

Offline SourdoughStomper

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • grain free and pain free
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 05:37:55 PM »
I remember when I first saw a G2. We were taking a trip from Whitehorse to visit Skagway, AK and I saw a couple in the hardware store. I looked at it and saw the official My Little Pony logo and I went: :blink: .  I had thought it was one of those fake ponies you always saw everywhere. Looked nothing like my good ol' chunky ponies.

I don't mind them so much now, but I thought they looked so unnaturally thin.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Credit to Shaiyeh for avatar.

Offline Whoa1234

• Trade Count: (+114)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 05:43:07 PM »
I really didn't like them when I first saw them, but I found an Ivy at a fleamarket for $1.
Ever since I've been in love with Ivy, I've got a MOC Ivy on the way to me in the mail.
Super excited to display them both together.

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 05:45:31 PM »
I absolutely hated G2s when they came out. I can respect them now, and I have a few, although I still don't like them. When I look at them, I just don't see MLP, but fakie, because I see so little in common with any of the other generations, beyond being colored ponies with symbols (well, maybe some similarities with the SHS, but I didn't like them either; I found the chubbier ponies cuter and I wondered if others did too). I always suspected that dramatic difference affected how well received they were...or weren't, along with marketing. I don't remember seeing them advertised too much, although I may have just missed it, and there wasn't a TV show or movies (was there?). I also disliked the line because they ended up all over the G1 DVDs, but I doubt the target audience of the G2s would have been bothered by that (I think I was probably just about too old to be who Hasbro was marketing to).

I don't know why they would be more popular in one part of the world than another, though.

Offline Chai

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • yoga pony!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 05:49:54 PM »
i LOVED g2s when they came out..... granted, i was 5 years old at the time and had no idea there even was a g1. i had seen the cartoons (both my little pony and my little pony tales) and was just in love with the whole world of ponies. i remember i had most of the first wave (except Clever Clover... finally got him!) and just couldn't get enough. i was so, so sad when they stopped selling them, and was even more sad when i found out they were produced for years after in europe! i need to work on my g2 collection actually..... :D

thanks to sunnyrain for my avatar and sweetmelons for my sig.

10yearbazooka

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2012, 05:50:46 PM »
Thanks for all the input! I'm afraid collecting them might be difficult though, especially because more of them were released outside of the US. I found one called Copper Glow on ebay recently that was $110 but it was still in its original box so that might be the reason why. I loved it as soon as I saw it because it had red hair, which you don't see too often on ponies.

Bag of Magic Food

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2012, 05:56:29 PM »
Sometimes I wonder how the generation 3 redesign would have been received if it had been the one that immediately followed generation 1 instead.

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2012, 06:01:10 PM »
Maybe because people were to use to G1. I'm guessing G3 ended up selling well because they were closer to G1 than G2 was, so the older collectors started buying those. I personally love G2s though. Then again, I love all generations (see my siggy).

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal