collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Non Collectors Learning "Pony" By Osmosis  (Read 5032 times)

Offline Juri

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • The Revolutionary Girl
    • View Profile
Re: Non Collectors Learning "Pony" By Osmosis
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2012, 11:12:03 PM »
I love reading all of these stories :)  My partner is awesome at 'speaking pony' too - the other week while cleaning out a friends garage she shocked everyone by exclaiming loudly that she could give a Cotton Candy that they found a 'Pony Spa' :P

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2012, 11:25:13 PM »
My boyfriend knows a few pony names (he knows Sundance and maybe a few more, as well as the mane 6 from FiM, but he does frequent the internet so that may not be all on me lol), knows what a So Soft is (and hates them xD), and knows the difference between generations somewhat (he knows he dislikes the body style of G1 so he can identify them, and he can identify the body styles he likes, which are G2 and Sweetheart Sisters so far). Its really cute. :D
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Nesferxty

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2012, 12:58:00 AM »
Yeah my husband is 'forced' to watch FiM too  :biggrin:  I could tell he was welling up and almost crying when he watched the first 2 eps (Luna & Celestia) but he pretended he wasn't lol. Hes quite helpful when we go shopping cause he can pick out the ones I need :) He's also good with Monster High too!

Offline Gingerbread

• Gingerbread Junkie
  • Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • TwinkleEyeTastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2012, 07:32:34 AM »
This thread makes me feel like I'm not alone in corrupting people :lmao: My ex and my now current partner both picked up very quickly how to tell apart a fakie, which generation was which and even occasionally names...it's so cute!

Looking for Newborn Cutie Rainbow Dash set blanket, Lanard Party Ponies pony & dolls sets, and any odd fakies!

Offline apanda0622

• Trade Count: (+177)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2012, 08:38:38 AM »
Yes!  My mom and boyfriend know way more about ponies because I am always talking about them--lol.  My mom knows more about the vintage ones and my bf knows more about G3s and G4s.  Its so funny that they can identify ponies by name!  My bf is usually with me a Goodwill and calls himself the "Pony Hunter"  LOL.

Offline Ivy

• crazy 'lil alicorn
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • MOC Mimic
  • crazy 'lil alicorn
    • View Profile
    • Ponyland Tours
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2012, 11:21:45 AM »
Yep I am proud to say my mother is brilliant when it comes to pony lingo/knowledge. She knows ALL the gens, how to separate the real mccoy from the fakies, she knows what lanards and remcos look like...she knows a G3 accessory from a Barbie accs, and she even bought me some G1 playsets that I wanted for ages without me telling her anything about them.

All of the above is crucial as Mum does charity runs and flea market hunts for me whenever she travels around for her job  :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Lol! I've been collecting ponies since I was a kid - and my Mom has also picked up on all the pony lingo over the years... She knows how to tell a Fakie from a regular pony - can Id a Dream Beauty and a Pony Friend. Can find real pony accessories in boxes full of fake combs. She can tell you if it's a G1, G2, G3, G4 or McDonalds Pony. And knows all the G1 MLP Playsets.
She doesn't know which one's are really rare or not, or which one's I have or not but if it's cheap enough she'll buy it anyways for me - she just bought me a G3 Paperback  book for 10 cents a resale shop.

She's found me all sorts of stuff at flea markets over the years - her best find ever a Magenta Satins 'n Lace in her original gown. I still remember the conversation..

Mom: "I found you some ponies at the flea market in Harrison."
Me: "Really!"
Mom: "They were a little higher than you usually pay but the one has clothing.."
Me: "Where!!"
Mom pulls bag with three ponies out of suitcase...
Mom: "These two were $2 a piece" hands me a Firefly and Baby Surprise.
Me: "I have these two but it's ok mom I'll put them on my trade list."
Mom: "This one I wasn't sure about it was $4.50 but she had a dress on..." hands me Magenta Satins 'n Lace.
Me: jaw drops.....
Check out my Sales!
Avatar thanks to the lovely minercia!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2012, 12:06:14 PM »
Ivy!!!! That is an amazing mum....you need to send her pony hunting more often!!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Betelgeuse

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2012, 12:19:31 PM »
My mom stuck to it and sometimes she's a wilder collector than I am. She once phoned me during a test at school, the office staff called me down to the office because I had an "important phone call from my mom" It was all about how she found some G3s at a thrift store. I can't imagine what she'd do if she ever found a MOC G1 :O

Offline tinrobo

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • clockwork robo pony *click* *whirr*
    • View Profile
    • Tinrobo's Etsy Shop
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2012, 12:46:16 PM »
LOL I love this thread, makes me feel better about "corrupting" my other half! He's not a brony and doesn't really use the internet very much but he knows all the FiM ponies from watching it together, and I quite often catch him singing the songs. He even has favourites (Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom in FiM because we love their voices, Tornado and Honeycomb G1). He makes me very proud. :D

My mum can tell a G1 because it's what I had when I was little and can name a few characters. She says things like, "oh is that applejack?" about a cutie mark badge I was making but it was Big Mac. She tries though! She got me a Pinkie Pie birthday cake and a NBBE Baby Gusty by sneakily asking my friends which pony to buy for christmas! I love my mum.  :lol:

Offline SweetTune

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Fair
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2012, 06:26:04 PM »
My husband is an unintentional pony pro, but he is an information sponge and I guess hearing me talk endlessly about them over the course of  the fifteen years we've been together allowed him to soak up quite a bit of pony knowledge.  :P

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal