collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Common Ponies becoming Harder To Find?  (Read 13205 times)

Offline CrystalCrown

• Flamez o' Justice
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • You don't need a license to drive a sandwich!
    • View Profile
Re: Common Ponies becoming Harder To Find?
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2012, 12:59:16 PM »
Bubbles!!!! I have been looking for a minty Bubbles for about 4 months now and I am yet to come across one at a good price and in good condition! I really dont ever remember her being so illusive to track down!
yes, definitely bubbles! i've been looking for one since october of 2010. luckily i just got a very nice looking one for $4 :)
:fox: :rainbow: F is for friends who do stuff together, U is for you and me! N is for anywhere and anytime at all down here in the deep blue sea!  :frog:

Offline willa

• Trade Count: (+116)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Greek Ladybird Mint in Egg
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2012, 01:04:05 PM »
I hardly ever see a nice Minty either...
SEEKING... Princess Taffeta & Pristina, 7 Tales Bon Bon and Peru Unicorns Moonstone & Windy x

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2012, 01:10:01 PM »
And sometimes a nice Butterscotch as well can be a toughy to find...
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Diamond

• Hostess of the Wine Cellar
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Time will tell a wonderful tale if you listen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2012, 01:10:15 PM »
On the note of even finding G1's out shopping, I found out at my local goodwill the other day that most all ponies they get go straight to goodwills ebay store, and aren't supposed to be put out in the toy aisle... Which means even getting good deals, no matter what the pony, is getting harder. And with all the child safety laws out there now, it scares me to think how many G1's thrift shops might just be throwing out. D:

The more years that pass, the less ponies there will be, I suppose. Especially when we have issues like cancer and regrind. ):

In my state Good Will can not sell toys, anything they get is supposed to shipped out of state or overseas. 

It happens with any item, right now there is an influx of new collectors who are going to make a market tighter.  Plus when the economy is bad and with ebay's fees getting higher less dealers are likely to list things that cost them more to sell.

At some point there shall be less, but then older collectors will lose interest or need to sell and there will be periods of influx. 

The same will happen with G2's and G3's as time goes on.  They are no longer in production and sooner or later they too shall be hard to find.  Hard as that is to believe right now.
:like: me on FaceBook - Crocus Cottage Creations

Thanks to SdS for my avie

Offline Gingerbread

• Gingerbread Junkie
  • Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • TwinkleEyeTastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2012, 01:31:28 PM »
I've definitely found it with G2s. I sold a few lots a couple years back with a dozen or so ponies in and they were lucky toi sell at 99p. Should have hung on to them - especially as I collect them now too! *kicks self*.

I remember going to bootsales fifteen years ago and there were gluts of G1s all over the place. *kicks self again!*

Looking for Newborn Cutie Rainbow Dash set blanket, Lanard Party Ponies pony & dolls sets, and any odd fakies!

Offline Shlugh

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2012, 01:55:18 PM »
I agree too

You see far less G1's at bootsales and charity shops now, and there's some ponies I always thought quite common that you hardly see.

Have you all noticed too that only about a quarter of the listings on Ebay are actually auctions now? Most of them are (in my opinion) madly overpriced BIN listings.

I need 3 twins to finish my sets, and have been scouring ebay for over a year, and posted here but cannot get them. I refuse to pay $30-$40 peer twin on BIN listings. (If anyone wants to sell or trade Big Top, Peeks or Milkweed please let me know!)

S xx

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2012, 02:14:07 PM »
Well, for me, a lot of supposedly common ponies I've never found, like most of the CP ponies (thankfully I have some childhood ones), Seashell, most of the early unicorns, the rainbow ponies...the only truly common ones for me have always been Peachy, Cotton Candy, Heartthob, and a few others.

Offline Bunny-san

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ponydex.com
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2012, 02:36:02 PM »
With the advent of Friendhip is Magic, people are discovering the "origins" if you will of My Little pony. So more people are starting up their G1 collections more than likely, starting with those good 'ol common ponies. Are we honestly surprised? I can't say I am...The discovery of one good thing leads to  another. I found Pullips thanks to the Dollhouse on the Arena, and I would have never found those without being a pony collector first :3 So yeah, I'm really not surprised ^^;

Thank you artists for my siggys!

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2012, 02:45:24 PM »
New collectors also = increasing interest in older gens. 

With Ebay so so popular and people seeing gold in everything "old," antique stores and Goodwills, etc are harder to find ponies at.  It makes the hunt that more thrilling though.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 02:48:24 PM by StoryDreamer »
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2012, 03:00:41 PM »
I do think it's becoming harder to find g1s; I haven't found a g1 in months at the thrift store compared to other years where I'd usually find at least one/month.  Part of it has to be that there's just more collectors around due to FiM and I think there are more sellers going straight to ebay.  And because of age, I suspect that there are just less going around, unfortunately.

Is G1 Applejack really worth $17 consistantly? I paid way less for Hopscotch, and she's not even from the US...

I suspect Applejack in particular is seeing a spike in popularity because of the character in FiM.  :)
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

SuniMoon

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2012, 03:11:54 PM »
Applejack is DEFINITELY getting harder to find because of FiM.
I'm going to assume the same might be for Twilight, Surprise, Posey,  Firefly, and Sparkler.
Infact, I only found out about Surprise when I realized what ponies the FiM girls were based on/originally going to be. Before that I just liked a handful of G1's that I'd stumbled across...
Then surprise won my heart, and FiM is to blame. xD

So I think all six of these little ponies are more sought after right now. :)

And ohhhh man, I hear you all on Bubbles. I'm just glad I managed to snag her for a good price. A good price that was stiiiilll more than I usually like to pay for ponies.

Offline SilverLinedStars

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2012, 04:53:38 PM »
I definitely agree with G1 becoming a bit more difficult to find. However, in the case of Ebay, I think there is just less people selling there now. I've had better transactions here on the Arena with much  less headache. Ebay eats me up with fees, so instead of complaining, I just don't like to sell there anymore unless I have a hard time getting stuff to move here. I finally got my hands on a Dream Beauty from ebay that'd I'd been seeking for AGES from ebay. But I think that was pure luck. I haven't actually seen ponies at thrift stores in quite some time though.

Obsydian

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2012, 05:17:45 PM »
Oh man and I don't even have a G1 yet. :(
I better get on the ball...

Offline EmBee

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2012, 05:42:00 PM »
I honestly think it could be because people that had G1 ponies during their childhood are getting into adulthood now.  Their old ponies could be forgotten in their parents' attics for years, or even thrown away because of their age and condition (likely dirty).

Obviously a lot of ponies are still donated and sold, but I think as time goes on things like these get scattered and kind of phase out.  You just don't find many old toys in thrift shops anymore, even generic.

Just my thinking.  :huh:
-Em

P.S.
Common ponies can't stay common forever. =( (which is why I hate to see G1s that could easily be salvaged be customized >.<) Also, it seems more and more people are beginning to collect. That could be part of it!
I completely agree.  While I love customs, the "baits" sometimes used are clearly not so...  >_<
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 05:48:20 PM by EmBee »

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2012, 06:11:57 PM »
Also back in the day, Bubbles was still a little bit higher than most G1 early ponies.
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal