collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: So, about the whole Hasbro getting rid of ":muffin: Pony" thing...  (Read 29703 times)

Offline pop-girl

• Trade Count: (+140)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wix.com/mlppopgirl/pop-customs
Re: So, about the whole Hasbro getting rid of ":muffin: Pony" thing...
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2012, 06:30:36 AM »
I have given up on keeping track to be honest....I am so used to being a member of a community which Hasbro pretty much acknowledged only from a friendly and polite distance that getting used to all the chopping & changing, the protectionism, the rivalries, the intensity towards HB is starting to hurt my head lol! I am a simply soul at heart!

I mean this nicely but "I am not bothered one way or the other" - my focus and interest is the toyline and always has been - the show is a secondary idea that I do enjoy but only as a "bolt on" to the line. I work in marketing and advertising so I applaud the concept of creating your own tv channel and your own shows simply to sell your product - but if they cancelled the show tomorrow but continued to make the toys I would not be that fussed.

All MLP belong to Hasbro they can do what they like - they can change characters, protect characters, refuse to do or simply do whatever they like with them. And as long as Hasbro are going to continue with the MLP I ll bow to their greater knowledge and "rights" and let them get on with it!

Very well said.  ^.^ I couldn't agree more.
Love & Miss My Pony Peeps!  :lovey:

Offline mlpfan

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "I'm too dense to get the hint about the filter" :drama: Pony H OOVES IS BEST PONY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2012, 06:33:52 AM »
personally i think they're just being a bunch of angry toddlers.
i don't see anything wrong with the episodes. in fact i think it's nice that they are acknowledging that life isn't all sunshine and fun all the time thank you very much.
either way.

[img2]http://www.tumblr.com/photo/1280/fillydelphia/16948706617/1/tumblr_lygk3kYJJe1qh7zxe[/img2]

Completely agreed.

I would definitely NOT want to show my kids a show that depicted life as being 100% perfect and happy and sunshine and roses all the time. It's terribly unrealistic and I believe that that kind of "wrap mah kid in cotton wool" outlook is extremely damaging precisely because it gives the child an unrealistic outlook on life, and most importantly: constant sunshine & roses DO NOT prepare them for the big, and sometimes scary world around them.

I would never want to police what cartoons my children watch, (it would also drive me mad to try to do so because it would be unrealistic for me to expect that I can) but rather build an atmosphere of education and rewarded curiosity (rather than punishment for watching "bad things", or many important but missed lessons through deprivation) by encouraging my children to speak to their parents about how THEY feel about what they watch - rather than assume I have the ability or the right to think for them.

agree 100 percent!
"I'm too dense to get the hint about the filter" :drama: Pony H OOVES IS BEST PONY! :cool:

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2012, 06:39:59 AM »
Yeah, I guess my opinion is that I don't care too much. As far as the G4 line goes, I am more a fan of the show than the toys, but I still care more about G1, so whatever Hasbro decides to do, eh, I can live with it. For the sake of completeness and for the fans who do care, I wouldn't want them to pull the whole episode forever, but if they change her name or stop using the character from here on, I don't really care myself. I guess I care more about the integrity and reputation of the MLP name, so whatever Hasbro thinks is best in this situation, I'm probably fine with it.

Offline mlpfan

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "I'm too dense to get the hint about the filter" :drama: Pony H OOVES IS BEST PONY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2012, 06:56:21 AM »
the trouble most likely is the fact that although hasbro owns the image of :muffin: Pony herself, they do not own the name (:muffin: Pony hooves) that name is fan made and whoever first typed her name as :muffin: Pony owns the name, and hasbro could get into trouble by useing it,  I am about tired of it all anyway, people should either watch it or not and stop making so much trouble!!!! It is like everything else, no matter what you make someone is going find something about it to hate . you can find somthing to hate in anything if you look hard enough! I pitty hasbro for trying to keep up with it all
"I'm too dense to get the hint about the filter" :drama: Pony H OOVES IS BEST PONY! :cool:

Offline Varkolak

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Mimic <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2012, 07:04:27 AM »
i noticed now that they gave her a cutie mark, can anyone tell what it is?

edit: nevermind, i saw that it was bubbles XD
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2012, 07:15:10 AM »
I heard the voice actor thought the character was a boy, which makes sense since ":muffin: Pony" sounds a lot like "Goofy" who is a boy. Maybe they are giving the voice actor a chance to redo the lines.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Kitkumi

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • My life is my story.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2012, 07:23:04 AM »
It is really a sign that times are changing. Wardah brings up "Goofy" from Disney, and technically we can all pretty much say that Goofy is a lot like :muffin: Pony in a a lot of ways (klutz, messing things up, seems a little on the fuzzy side... does anyone remember the show Goof Troop? Lol).

I'm neither pro nor con :muffin: Pony. Personally I think she was adorable in the Last Roundup as a character, and shows that Ponyville isn't full of all these perfect ponies. You can be different and still be loved (at least thats how I took it). I think that if Hasbro changes :muffin: Pony at this point they are opening a huge can of worms. Basically, they opened Pandora's box and are now trying to shove things back in. It isn't going to work. The internet and pony fan base exploded over them including ":muffin: Pony", with most of the FiM fans seeing it as a nod to them.

I think that the entire situation is going to become more of a mess because neither side is going to sit down and talk calmly and logically. Those who are against :muffin: Pony and offended by her will rally together and make a lot of noise and complaints. Those who are for :muffin: Pony will rally back and make more noise. Both sides will get uppity. And when a decision is finally reached one side is going to be the losers and the winners are going to make some huge big deal of it.

These are just my opinions on the matter :)

Thanks to Moonflower and Amenoo for my avi/sig

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2012, 07:32:35 AM »
Personally I think she was adorable in the Last Roundup as a character, and shows that Ponyville isn't full of all these perfect ponies. You can be different and still be loved (at least thats how I took it).

Were we watching the same episode?? What I saw was :muffin: Pony being clutzy and wrecking things, and Rainbow Dash treating her like she was a huge hindrance and getting in the way, and snapping at her repeatedly in a rude way.

I have seen several people claim that the :muffin: Pony character shows how Ponyville accepts everyone, yet I saw none of that at all in that episode. That's what bothered me the most about her portrayal in the ep.
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2012, 07:33:34 AM »
After seeing the hateful responses at EQD aimed at "the anti-:muffin: Pony brigade", otherwise known as "people who don't appreciate seeing an apparently mentally retarded character being shouted at by a main character without repercussions", I have no sympathy for the "bronies" on this one.

They need to ratchet down their sense of entitlement about five notches.  Reminds me of the mass freak out when Lyra's blindbag toy was named "Heartstrings."  Oh, the humanity.

I don't want to see the pony in question erased from the show, but I will be quite relieved if that particular bit of "Last Round Up" is redone to make it less cringe-worthy and the pony renamed.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

DJ Midli

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2012, 07:41:00 AM »
I'm guessing The Last Roundup is the name of the episode with :muffin: Pony in it? It makes more sense now. I was super confused.

Bronies name character :muffin: Pony and lover her - Hasbro is good to the fans and make her name "official" - Bronies are outraged and hate :muffin: Pony

Stupidest thing ever.

No.... some bronies expressed unease over hasbro taking naming cue s from the fans. I saw nomass amoun of bronies raging at the name change.... and im in 8 brony irc chatrooms on 3 diff networks.... so id notice a rage. I did notice trolls capitalizing on this and saying :muffin: Pony is a anti metal health issue name
...... thwy equated it to calling someone an rtard.. i thibk thats where the faracas came from....... sadly in this instance i think the trolls won ;_;

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2012, 07:41:53 AM »
personally i think they're just being a bunch of angry toddlers.
i don't see anything wrong with the episodes. in fact i think it's nice that they are acknowledging that life isn't all sunshine and fun all the time thank you very much.
either way.

[img2]http://www.tumblr.com/photo/1280/fillydelphia/16948706617/1/tumblr_lygk3kYJJe1qh7zxe[/img2]

Completely agreed.

I would definitely NOT want to show my kids a show that depicted life as being 100% perfect and happy and sunshine and roses all the time. It's terribly unrealistic and I believe that that kind of "wrap mah kid in cotton wool" outlook is extremely damaging precisely because it gives the child an unrealistic outlook on life, and most importantly: constant sunshine & roses DO NOT prepare them for the big, and sometimes scary world around them.

I would never want to police what cartoons my children watch, (it would also drive me mad to try to do so because it would be unrealistic for me to expect that I can) but rather build an atmosphere of education and rewarded curiosity (rather than punishment for watching "bad things", or many important but missed lessons through deprivation) by encouraging my children to speak to their parents about how THEY feel about what they watch - rather than assume I have the ability or the right to think for them.

How does :muffin: Pony show that the world is not perfect? In those 2 seconds she appeared? : /
You know what characters show that the world is not perfect? The Flim Flam brothers, Gilda, Trixie, etc.
Real characters with real bad intentions.
It's rediculous to claim that they wish to portray the world of FIM as perfect while there are plenty of "villians" and problems in their world / lifes.

Offline aellos

• Girl with the box
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Reluctant warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2012, 07:46:03 AM »
It makes me sad...especially since I'm part of that fandom.
I always preferred her to be called Ditzy, and I wasn't fond of her appearence.
But people are taking this too far.

||DevART||Tumblr||Red Pepper Ref||Flickr||
Don't fall reluctant heroes, I want to be brave like you.

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2012, 07:46:21 AM »
I did notice trolls capitalizing on this and saying :muffin: Pony is a anti metal health issue name
...... thwy equated it to calling someone an rtard.. i thibk thats where the faracas came from....... sadly in this instance i think the trolls won ;_;
I don't know how people on other forums reacted, but a lot of people here have said that too, myself included, and we're not trolls. Her name IS derived from and insult towards people with disabilities, and even if that wasn't intentionally meant as in insult in naming her that, that doesn't make the history of the term ":muffin: Pony" go away. So people have a right to be offended by it and by others' insistence that they need to get over it. Frankly, I think Hasbro could/should have avoided this all by not using a fan-name officially to begin with like every other fan-named character, but I suspect it was done by the studio without the larger company realizing it.

Offline Kaeldre

• Goa'uld System Lord
  • "The best advice I've found is don't look down."
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2012, 07:48:02 AM »
Oh Lordy... I kinda saw this coming.  Here are my thoughts on the matter:

I personally feel like the show and the fandom should be separate.  Hasbro made a mistake in introducing :muffin: Pony to the show.  The show is intended for and marketed to young children, not people in the "brony" age range.  And I think it should stay that way.   If Hasbro keeps this up, the show is going to be completely run by bronies.  Hasbro is just losing sight of their target audience if you ask me.

"When someone asks me if I give up, I say 'Not until I'm dead'.  And sometimes not even then." ~ Daniel Jackson
"Asking a Ferengi to play a Cardassian game is like asking a Klingon to chew with his mouth closed." ~ Elim Garak

Offline Jadis4742

• Trade Count: (+124)
  • All the shy pose ponies, please!
    • View Profile
    • Pretty Nerdy
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2012, 07:48:57 AM »
I haven't seen the episode in question (the show hasn't grabbed me this season), but I was really surprised when I heard Hasbro made ":muffin: Pony" canon, as it has ALWAYS been offensive to the handicapped community. I think what happened is Hasbro made it canon, they realized it was offensive, and they decided to pull it. It's really not that big a deal.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal