collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: So, about the whole Hasbro getting rid of ":muffin: Pony" thing...  (Read 29711 times)

NumiTuziNeru

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: So, about the whole Hasbro getting rid of ":muffin: Pony" thing...
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2012, 04:21:29 AM »
personally i think they're just being a bunch of angry toddlers.
i don't see anything wrong with the episodes. in fact i think it's nice that they are acknowledging that life isn't all sunshine and fun all the time thank you very much.
either way.

[img2]http://www.tumblr.com/photo/1280/fillydelphia/16948706617/1/tumblr_lygk3kYJJe1qh7zxe[/img2]

Offline OctoberFlash

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I like to eat things and brush ponies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2012, 04:35:23 AM »
I've been keeping up with this as well, reading all the comments makes me feel bad. The bronies that are standing up and voicing their opinions on this are really creating a bad image for the rest of the community. If they're gonna stand up and hate on Hasbro and whoever else is responsible, then they can't be calling themselves bronies. Bronies are kind people who would react to a situation like this with patience and understanding, instead of making everything go up in flames.  >_<

My opinion on this: I'm thinking just wait and see. The episode could have been pulled because of the DVD coming out soon, if people want the episode they have to buy the DVD, then more DVDs sell. Maybe Hasbro is just changing the name because it doesn't belong to them, since the fans came up with it. We won't really know until we wait and see what happens.  :huh:
Click here for my wishlist!

Every puzzle has an answer :)

Offline Varkolak

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Mimic <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2012, 04:35:48 AM »
i think people need to get over it, they're looking for any reason to be upset over anything. that's just the way it is. anyone will take offense to any name if you give them the opportunity to be.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline tinrobo

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • clockwork robo pony *click* *whirr*
    • View Profile
    • Tinrobo's Etsy Shop
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2012, 04:44:23 AM »
I love :muffin: Pony/Ditzy and think she's adorable. I can see why some people are offended by her portrayal in the last roundup but all I really think the show needed was to show her in a positive way (being accepted by the ponies even though she's clumsy, showing her merits as well as her flaws) and have her called a more pony-like name that was suitable for children. That's all it would have taken for people to see that she wasn't just there to be a joke against the mentally disabled and bronies would still have been happy to see her in the episode.

TBH though, the reactions on eqd sort of make me hope she is taken out just to spite them. I hate how so many people still don't get that this is a show for children, not adults and Hasbro/studio B don't owe them anything! I'm finding it all a bit tiresome now, it may be time to step away from the FiM fandom. :/

ElleDatura

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2012, 05:20:57 AM »
I have given up on keeping track to be honest....I am so used to being a member of a community which Hasbro pretty much acknowledged only from a friendly and polite distance that getting used to all the chopping & changing, the protectionism, the rivalries, the intensity towards HB is starting to hurt my head lol! I am a simply soul at heart!

I mean this nicely but "I am not bothered one way or the other" - my focus and interest is the toyline and always has been - the show is a secondary idea that I do enjoy but only as a "bolt on" to the line. I work in marketing and advertising so I applaud the concept of creating your own tv channel and your own shows simply to sell your product - but if they cancelled the show tomorrow but continued to make the toys I would not be that fussed.

All MLP belong to Hasbro they can do what they like - they can change characters, protect characters, refuse to do or simply do whatever they like with them. And as long as Hasbro are going to continue with the MLP I ll bow to their greater knowledge and "rights" and let them get on with it!

Pretty much the same. And to be honest I've found a fair few "bronies" out there to be... hard to deal with. Not so much on these forums but elsewhere, and I expected the over the top reactions. I don't really watch the show, I don't have good internet. I also have soured due to the over enthusastic fanbase and the lack of really new looking ponies in the toyline. Not tying to hate,  just have become... disenchanted?

Offline FarDreamer

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • The "Mystery" Pony from Firefly's Adventure!
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Preservation Project
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2012, 05:23:00 AM »
Ok, consider this an uninformed opinion and please don't get angry if I've missed something important.  I only got into FiM recently as we don't get that station.  I am posting this because I LOVE :muffin: Pony, not because I want to start a fight.

I like the name :muffin: Pony Hooves and I like having someone a little different on the cartoon.  No that she's had a huge part but as best I can tell the ponies love her just as much as any other pony in ponyland.  I think people read too much into cartoons, but showing her as someone who is lovable and fun might make kids more open to people who are a bit different.

I've heard a lot of complaining over the years about toys being too perfect and cookie cutter.  It's not like they're making barbie's in wheelchairs and bratz dolls with scoliosis.  I'm not in the camp that barbies are going to make kids anorexic (remember the G2 haters who thought they were too thin?).  However, what's wrong with a toy that's not cookie cutter perfect?

That said, I would personally be hesitant to wear a T-shirt with her name on it because people who haven't seen the show and don't know what she is would be seeing it.  Without knowing that she's a funny, cute, lovable character you could take it the wrong way.  I suppose the same could be said for her name on toy packaging so with all my own opinions I do see the other side of the argument.

I like :muffin: Pony, I hope she's made into a toy.  If they don't make her into a toy maybe I'll break my no customs rule.

Sorry if this argument doesn't fit in with what's really going on, I've only read what I've run into and it sounds like there's a lot more going on.

All that said, they need to have someone put the smack down on those two brats that always make fun of AppleBloom.  Why are we picking on :muffin: Pony who's lovable?  Let's have an adult pony step in and stop the bullying.  That would make a good letter to Princess Celestia!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart:  www.MLPpreservationproject.com  :heart:
A comprehensive resource for information on the restoration
of ponies, accessories, and playsets from all generations!

Offline babymoondust

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2012, 05:32:35 AM »
personally i think they're just being a bunch of angry toddlers.
i don't see anything wrong with the episodes. in fact i think it's nice that they are acknowledging that life isn't all sunshine and fun all the time thank you very much.
either way.

[img2]http://www.tumblr.com/photo/1280/fillydelphia/16948706617/1/tumblr_lygk3kYJJe1qh7zxe[/img2]

Completely agreed.

I would definitely NOT want to show my kids a show that depicted life as being 100% perfect and happy and sunshine and roses all the time. It's terribly unrealistic and I believe that that kind of "wrap mah kid in cotton wool" outlook is extremely damaging precisely because it gives the child an unrealistic outlook on life, and most importantly: constant sunshine & roses DO NOT prepare them for the big, and sometimes scary world around them.

I would never want to police what cartoons my children watch, (it would also drive me mad to try to do so because it would be unrealistic for me to expect that I can) but rather build an atmosphere of education and rewarded curiosity (rather than punishment for watching "bad things", or many important but missed lessons through deprivation) by encouraging my children to speak to their parents about how THEY feel about what they watch - rather than assume I have the ability or the right to think for them.

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2012, 05:41:09 AM »
Oh, Shout! Factory is producing the DVDs?! Awesome!

Anyway...I'm not entirely sure I understand what happened, but I can take a guess...people offended by the name ":muffin: Pony" contacted Hasbro to complain when it appeared in the show. Although I'm confused because while I was fully expecting something like this from parents of little kids who like the show, it sounds like some Bronies/FiM fans are upset and complained? I mean, I think calling her :muffin: Pony in show was a bad move and bound to offend people, but I didn't expect fans to go to Hasbro about it either. Is that what everyone is saying happened?

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2012, 06:08:37 AM »

TBH though, the reactions on eqd sort of make me hope she is taken out just to spite them. I hate how so many people still don't get that this is a show for children, not adults and Hasbro/studio B don't owe them anything!

Agreed!

I am pretty appalled by the fact that Bronies are trying to claim the show (and with :muffin: Pony's name becoming canon, basically succeeding). I think any catering to them is a bad move. Not that I have kids, but if I did, I would hardly want them to watch something that has some other site memes in it :S

Now the creators of FiM want to make it right again? Well, a bit too late as the Bronies will now become even more intolerable. Great job overall Hasbro...
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Offline Elisto

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2012, 06:10:56 AM »
So, wait, the issue is not that people are offended but that fans who came up with :muffin: Pony don''t like that her name's been recognized in-show?

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2012, 06:15:50 AM »
no, there are rumours that her name will be changed officially from :muffin: Pony (now that it is official) and that the episode might get pulled or something, and Bronies are flipping out
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Offline Elisto

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2012, 06:20:02 AM »
Oh, OK, I see

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2012, 06:23:08 AM »
I saw that the episode is still on hub world, maybe it was Applr doing the pulling???

Anyways, IMO , Hasbro can do whatever they want with their property.  it belongs to them.  besides! Boy pony toys are coming!!! :D

I'm on a different Brony forum and 90% of the group are 17 or younger, so keep in mind these loud comments are coming from high school kids.

and Bubblecup!!! yes I love it!

Offline mlpfan

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "I'm too dense to get the hint about the filter" :drama: Pony H OOVES IS BEST PONY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2012, 06:23:24 AM »
I like :muffin: Pony! I would hate to see her go:( I cant imagine why some people would think my little pony FIM is not suitable for children, it is a cartoon! the stuff they get exposed to in school (drugs,bullies,ect.) is way worse than anything hasbro can put in a g rated cartoon!!!
"I'm too dense to get the hint about the filter" :drama: Pony H OOVES IS BEST PONY! :cool:

Offline Elisto

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2012, 06:25:23 AM »
I don't think the standards for cartoons to surpass should be school bullying....

Really, the fact that it's "just a cartoon" is exactly the issue. When something as harmless as a cartoon treats potentially offensive terms and portrayals as no big deal, that sends the message that it is no big deal in general.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 06:27:57 AM by Elisto »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal