collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: So, about the whole Hasbro getting rid of ":muffin: Pony" thing...  (Read 29702 times)

SuniMoon

• Trade Count: (0)
Anyone else keeping up on this?
Last Roundup not on itunes, pressuring welovefine to stop using the name :muffin: Pony hooves...

Ehhh, I'm a tad bit uncomfortable with this. I wouldn't have an issue if they started just calling her Ditzy in the series, assuming she'd even MAKE another foreground appearance at all.... But...  If they seem to be taking action to ban episodes over this, and put their foot down on the fanbase, it seems like a really slippery slope to me.

Now, I know a lot of the arena isn't :muffin: Pony friendly, but...

Opinions? :/

And sorry if there's already a thread about this, i didnt see one.

Offline babymoondust

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
Re: So, about the whole Hasbro getting rid of ":muffin: Pony" thing...
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 12:48:39 AM »
This whole thing terrifies me... It really does.

I can't even put into words right now how much complete contempt I have for the anti-:muffin: Pony brigade.
This has gone WAY too far.

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 12:51:01 AM »
You should seriously provide some background info or links. I have no idea what you're talking about. Last I knew :muffin: Pony was made canon and bronies were flipping out about it.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Jocelyn

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 01:22:54 AM »
I don't know how reliable this source is, but this is how I heard about it http://:muffin: Pony-merchandise/ And Equestria Daily has also updated, saying The Last Roundup's takedown from iTunes was not coincidental. Then again, we can't trust EQD to be reliable, either.

WLF products that were previously labeled :muffin: Pony http://www.welovefine.com/product.php?id_product=1066 http://www.welovefine.com/product.php?id_product=973
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 01:24:56 AM by sydneypie »

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 01:23:45 AM »
I have given up on keeping track to be honest....I am so used to being a member of a community which Hasbro pretty much acknowledged only from a friendly and polite distance that getting used to all the chopping & changing, the protectionism, the rivalries, the intensity towards HB is starting to hurt my head lol! I am a simply soul at heart!

I mean this nicely but "I am not bothered one way or the other" - my focus and interest is the toyline and always has been - the show is a secondary idea that I do enjoy but only as a "bolt on" to the line. I work in marketing and advertising so I applaud the concept of creating your own tv channel and your own shows simply to sell your product - but if they cancelled the show tomorrow but continued to make the toys I would not be that fussed.

All MLP belong to Hasbro they can do what they like - they can change characters, protect characters, refuse to do or simply do whatever they like with them. And as long as Hasbro are going to continue with the MLP I ll bow to their greater knowledge and "rights" and let them get on with it!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline stopxmotion

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Support independent film!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 01:31:01 AM »
I'm guessing The Last Roundup is the name of the episode with :muffin: Pony in it? It makes more sense now. I was super confused.

Bronies name character :muffin: Pony and lover her - Hasbro is good to the fans and make her name "official" - Bronies are outraged and hate :muffin: Pony

Stupidest thing ever.
Two more little devils jumped over the wall.
Saying turn her out father, she'll murder us all.
To my fal-de-ral little law-day.

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 01:45:12 AM »

I don't have a problem with it. I'm indifferent to the changes of shirt names (though its funny reading the posts of hardcore bronies flipping out). FiM went too far with :muffin: Pony (even without just one thing, like the retarded sounding voice or breaking *everything*, she would've been fine). FiM is not a show for adults, its a show for young children.

No, I changed my mind. I'm GLAD they're being changed. Just look at these comments! (That have been edited for profanity)
"Sometimes you definitely should spread hatred. Just because you’re a newsblog, it doesn’t mean you have to be neutral ALL the time. This is one of the times when exceptions should be made. There’s no reason to tolerate everybody’s stupid ----- opinions. That’s the reason these people exist. And they are worthless sacks of ---- on many levels, I’m sure you guys understand the reason why I say that."
"---- you guys (to the ones who caused this, of course). Really, way to ruin a great thing we had."
"If these people don’t understand :muffin: Pony and the love we have of her, they can go stuff themselves."
"It’s funny people should think that :muffin: Pony is offensive, when they themselves in truth are the offensive ones. Acctually having the opinion that :muffin: Pony should be taken off the show is a spit in the face to all working on the show, and the fandom as a whole. I would highly recommend anyone thinking this way to just leave the fandom now and let us who acctually still enjoy it somewhat have nice things. You scumbags don’t even deserve to call yourselves bronies."
"Way to ---- it up, guys.

The writers are never going to give the fandom any love after this ---- storm.

Nice going."
"It is not human right to deny others because you feel something is offensive"
"At first I was happy these idiots were butthurt over :muffin: Pony because I thought they might leave for good. I would have never thought they could have their way. They don’t deserve it."

I could go on and on quoting these posts forever. This is why I left the brony community. These people are self-entitled brats. IT IS A SHOW FOR CHILDREN!!!! They had no problem calling her :muffin: Pony when it wasn't canon, and after FiM handled making her canon poorly suddenly that isn't good enough? I hope FiM/Hasbro never listen to the bronies again. I can't stand people like this. While I realize not all bronies are like this, most are. I'm not surprised they haven't gotten any better.

Offline Jocelyn

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 01:57:48 AM »
The show was perfectly fine without :muffin: Pony as a specific character with a voice, and it will probably be fine if they changed her name, fixed her appearance, completely got rid of her from the show, etc....

But I'm worried that Hasbro may take this too seriously and put a heavier watch over Studio B, giving them less artistic freedom. It's so easy for a show to go sour, and heavier restrictions could definitely lead it that way.

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 02:07:21 AM »
In my opinion, FiM is too far gone. There were like 2 episodes in S2 I'm okay with. The rest? I'd never show my kids. Teaching children its okay to yell and scream at animals? Not okay. Treating your friends like crap on multiple occasions? Also not okay. There are more examples but I don't care enough to list them all.

Offline starrypawz

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted
    • View Profile
    • http://starrypawz.deviantart.com
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 02:13:01 AM »
I vaguley saw it mentioned on Tumblr but don't really know much about it. I am not that suprised this has happened though.

If you ever see a NARU starrypawz on Ebay it is in no way connected with me! Ebay handle is stella_lupus

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 02:54:37 AM »

I could go on and on quoting these posts forever. This is why I left the brony community. These people are self-entitled brats. IT IS A SHOW FOR CHILDREN!!!! They had no problem calling her :muffin: Pony when it wasn't canon, and after FiM handled making her canon poorly suddenly that isn't good enough? I hope FiM/Hasbro never listen to the bronies again. I can't stand people like this. While I realize not all bronies are like this, most are. I'm not surprised they haven't gotten any better.

Hear, hear! :P So many Bronies are nice ... and yet when you see them come out in droves, it's to defend offensive stuff like this. Sad, really.

In the hopes that this thread will still be here tomorrow (I'm kind of predicting a lock, NGL - it's a very heated topic), I'll just give my shorthand: I'm glad that Hasbro has responded 'well' (e.g. not brushing off the fans/being offensive, as the voice actress Tabitha St. Germain and others have been), and isn't dismissing anyone's concerns, and is actually actively making changes to the way they do things. It's so typical for a big company to say, "Well, it didn't offend our TEST GROUPS, so you can go sit in a corner and whine" and be utterly useless in this kind of thing. So, yay for Hasbro! (That said, I don't want to lose the episode entirely; it's a good episode! Just a little problematic, but it's only in the first few minutes that :muffin: Pony shows up; the rest is fine. No reason to pull it entirely, I think.)

I love :muffin: Pony, as a character - but not as a stereotype. I hope Hasbro recognizes that most of those protesting :muffin: Pony want to see her stay, and be her sweet, quirky, clumsy self, without becoming an offensive stereotype in the process.

tl;dr I love :muffin: Pony, I want her to stick around - but not as a stereotype. I'm glad Hasbro is taking steps to avoid this in the future, and even if all they do is change her name/behaviors for future fans, then I'm happy. (And I'll keep hoping for a :muffin: Pony/Ditzy toy!!)

Oh hey, as far as alternate names for :muffin: Pony go - what about Bubblecup? I've seen that one tossed around lately, I think it's cute!
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline Lyra

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 02:58:37 AM »
At time of writing, Hasbro has not said they are getting rid of :muffin: Pony.

As for the 'reliable but anonymous' (ie still not official or confirmed) WeLoveFine issue...

"...So if you wanted to purchase a :muffin: Pony t-shirt from WeLoveFine, you best get them now.  Your purchase along with everyone else will show that there is major support for the character..."

WHAT GREAT PUBLICITY (for this still totally unconfirmed thing) Fans will be rushing to buy if they weren't before, in the fear of :muffin: Pony being removed from mlp forever!!

Such savvy buisiness ponies lol.
Of course the fans showing their support will 'work' and then they will be back to normal, if not better than normal selling even more :muffin: Pony stuff than before! I must say, this is all very thinly veiled.
In conclusion, I think that this imagined 'fear' that :muffin: Pony could be permanently removed as a background character in the show if people do not buy WeLoveFine T-shirts is silly.

...Then again, it COULD be totally true in which case I apologise to all involved XD
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 04:18:09 AM by Lyra »
Lyra Silvertongue - not Heartstrings!

Offline Aurora

• Wingless Flutter Pony
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 03:07:27 AM »
I have given up on keeping track to be honest....I am so used to being a member of a community which Hasbro pretty much acknowledged only from a friendly and polite distance that getting used to all the chopping & changing, the protectionism, the rivalries, the intensity towards HB is starting to hurt my head lol! I am a simply soul at heart!

I mean this nicely but "I am not bothered one way or the other" - my focus and interest is the toyline and always has been - the show is a secondary idea that I do enjoy but only as a "bolt on" to the line. I work in marketing and advertising so I applaud the concept of creating your own tv channel and your own shows simply to sell your product - but if they cancelled the show tomorrow but continued to make the toys I would not be that fussed.

All MLP belong to Hasbro they can do what they like - they can change characters, protect characters, refuse to do or simply do whatever they like with them. And as long as Hasbro are going to continue with the MLP I ll bow to their greater knowledge and "rights" and let them get on with it!

This. :muffin: Pony doesn't affect me one way or the other, though a toy of her would be fun.
Thanks so much to Calico_Star for her beautiful work on my Avatar!
**want list**  **for sale**

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 04:00:56 AM »
I feel like a lot of people over at EQD are jumping to conclusions. Not to mention the first post about it being vague and sounding like a way to sell more t-shirts... At this point nobody knows what is going on. Welovefine could just as well had to take the name down because Hasbro is trying to register the name or whatever.

Frankly, i wouldn't mind if they changed :muffin: Pony a bit and i would love it if they gave her another name. Not because the name offends me but because it's such a lame internet meme name. If you are going to create a new character at least give her a name that can withhold the test of time a bit. ":muffin: Pony" will sound wierdly out of place and out of date in an x-amount of years. Again, being a fan doesn't mean you are a good writer and all that.

Also, you got to admit some wierd things happened with the character. Like why did the voice actor think she was voicing a guy? Makes me wonder if they rushed the character. Some tweaks really wouldn't hurt.

If they change her, i will be curious to see what they will do with her. I do believe the character can be improved and made less painfully stereotypical. I'm also annoyed at the hate storm coming from the brony community once again. I can understand their dissapointement but i really feel they are becoming too demanding. It's the same story as with the background character blind bags. When they first saw them they loved them. But the moment they noticed they didn't get the fanfiction names they got angry at it, making up excuses why they were not the background ponies. I almost pity Hasbro.

Offline VanillaBean

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.VanillaTwist.deviantart.com
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2012, 04:14:17 AM »
I'm curious to know what Lauren Faust makes of all this :muffin: Pony business.
I'm sure she'd be horrified to hear that people don't consider some of the newer episodes suitable viewing for children. (I wouldn't let any kid of mine watch The Last Roundup, personally)
Hunting for G2 MLP & Pretty Pony Club magazines! :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal