collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Advice needed: poor packaging, description... ugh  (Read 5331 times)

Offline cobalte

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
Advice needed: poor packaging, description... ugh
« on: February 02, 2012, 11:34:14 PM »
Need a bit of advice folks.
On the 19th of Jan I bought a MIP G2 Berry Bright off eBay via BIN for what I thought was a great price (USD$4). I trusted this seller because they sold other collectables and have very high feedback (7500). I paid (plus $15 shipping) and the item was shipped two days later and just got here today.

Description was 1997 My Little Pony Berry Bright from 97, sealed in package with accessories. Below is the auction picture.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

This is how the package arrived. I took pictures as my skills at illustrating a scene can be rubbish at times  :P The first is a recreation of how it was placed in the box as I took it out to take pics. The second illustrates the 'padding' given underneath. Third is how she looks face up...

All looks good, yeah? However, the bubble and card are rather dusty - not just where that price sticker is. Also, there's a lot of bending in the cardboard (some of which I think is due to how it was packed), that gap in the cardboard which isn't visible at all in the auction pic (sorry about the second being fullsize, Imageshack wouldn't let me use the thumbnail)

The back is the worst... there were no pictures or descriptions of its condition so I assumed that if the front appeared relatively ok, then the back should be fine. Wrooooong!  :cry:

As you can see: significant creasing and bending of the cardboard, and ingrained dirt on the back.

I also looked on the box and the seller only paid USD$9.60 for shipping.
The main reason I am so annoyed about this is because this seller, whom is a Top-rated Seller by eBay standards, whom has 7500 feedback at 99.8% and deals in selling collectibles; has overcharged me and then packed the item rather poorly (causing it to have further bending), left out details about the condition of the back and overall item, and possibly misrepresented the item by taking a bird's eye photo so that these evident flaws aren't noticed. Thank god it didn't get wet or the card would be ruined. They should really know better on all this by now  :yikes:

I was so excited about getting my first MIP pony ever for a great price, and this has happened. I do want to contact them and at least try and get a partial refund on the shipping, but at this point I'm a bit too angry and disappointed not only at the seller, but also at myself. I did fail to ask questions and assumed things in my rush to snap up the BIN...  :redface: 

At least I have learned my lesson, but someone help with how I should word a message to the seller and proceed?

Offline Whoa1234

• Trade Count: (+114)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Advice needed: poor packaging, description... ugh
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 11:47:59 AM »
That is so wrong. :(
They need to refund you on the over charge of shipping.
I would ask for a partial refund, and open up a claim.
So sorry that happened, she's still a lovely pony though.
<3<3

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 12:22:18 PM »
Yikes!
I would simply email her and say that you were super excited to get this pony as it would be your first MOC.  But upon her arrival you where not so excited to see the damage to the back of the card that was not mentioned or shown in pictures.  And it was also very disappointing to see that you paid $15 for shipping when it was actually $9.60 and it was not even packaged properly for the extra $5.40 you paid to prevent further damage to the card.
I would be nice and polite with what ever you write though because kindness gets you further that screaming at her.  I know you would probably like to at this point but see how she handles it first.  If she won't work with you then you can scream all you want  :P
:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

Offline kCherry

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+244)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • *-* Smart Doll Obsessed *-*
    • View Profile
    • Studio 7th Sanctuary is now on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 01:48:16 PM »
Wow. That's a pretty poor packing job for what you paid in shipping costs! I would be livid about that alone. :mad:

I agree with ponylady, that I would keep it polite and factual. But, I wouldn't even mention being excited about the purchase; keep it neutral and just about the item and the fact that you feel that you over-paid for what you received. Depending on the situation I may or may not directly ask for a partial refund or simply give them the opportunity to offer me one. When I've gotten a great deal and I feel like I did get what I paid for I won't bother asking directly. It is actually your responsibility as a buyer to ask for descriptions and flaws. It's pretty crooked when people photograph stuff like this, but you may get the response, "You didn't ask" and nothing more, regardless. Let's hope you have a decent seller on your hands. Based on his feedback I think you have a good chance that they will be willing to work with you.

In this situation I would ask them directly and politely for a refund on the shipping difference. ;) And I might would also add something about adding extra padding for items like this in the future; a friendly FYI from a collector to a seller.

Hope this helps! Let us know how it goes!! Good luck!

My Etsy shop O Ponies *** My Youtube Channel

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 04:05:27 AM »
You got some great advice there from Ponylady and Cherry. I would go with their suggestions too ;) 
What a disappointment for you though - that seller should definitely know better since they deal in collectibles!! :crazy:

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Dyzarktarzk

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 04:04:15 PM »
I'd ask for a partial refund on shipping, if not in the pony (not question asked before buying it, and BIN of $4.00), more than $5.00 of difference is a lot!

And really suggest better packing for an item...  usually if it's bought MIP/MOC is because the new owner wants it that way...  and not having to open it to protect the pony/collectible inside the card =P

Offline cobalte

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 11:47:24 PM »
I tried my best at the keeping polite thing, this is what I sent... (sorry about my wordy-ness)

Hello,
I received the pony a few days ago... however I'm not really happy with what I've received

My first issue is the condition of the item. I didn't ask questions before my purchase so I won't be pursuing a refund on the item price.
However when it arrived I noticed there are significant bends to the front cardboard and fraying of the edges not shown in the picture and not described.
On the back there is more damage in the form of ingrained dirt and creases. Again, there was no description of this, and no photo.
I suggest in future you describe these potential flaws for an item, as they may influence someone's decision to purchase significantly.

-continued in next message-

-continued from previous message-

Secondly, is the shipping. I was charged $14.99 for shipping. When I received the package I noted a price sticker on it for $9.60. This would not fuss me if the item was well packed. When I opened it I noticed the top of the cardboard had been forced into the box and bent in order to fit the box, causing extra damage.
The only padding was what looked like three ripped up color brochures.
I really feel that I did not get what I paid for in shipping.
Further to the prior message, there now appears to be extra damage to the front of the card possibly caused by this lack of protection.
For these reasons, I ask that you please refund me the excess charge of shipping ($5.39). I simply feel I overpaid for what I got.
For future packaging it might be good to wrap items in bubble wrap or some kind of plastic, as if the package had gotten wet the ink would have completely ruined the item.
I await your reply with best regards
Emma

ETA: Hopefully I did decently there, I've been stressed as another item I received on Monday from eBay was also not as described (Pokemon cards that were fakes), so I had to send them a message too. Some strange time I'm having.

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 06:08:02 PM »
your message looks good to me  :bigups:   Did you get a response yet?

:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline cobalte

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 12:30:46 AM »
Indeed I did...

Thanks for the email, but I feel the item was described accurately. I am sorry you feel differently.
That seems faire [postage refund]. It is done

Can't really believe that they think one picture and a bare-bones description of what the item is with no mention of flaws is "accurate"  :shocked: 
The refund money is in my PayPal account, so at least that's done.

Not sure whether to leave neutral or positive right now, though I think I will leave positive as they did refund that excess, and I'll just lower the DSRs on description.
How does this sound:
"Fast ship. Description left out lots flaws. Excess ship, extra charges refunded."

ETA: Looking at their feedback, someone else has posted something about bad shipping protection very recently...

[from buyer] Disappointed. Cards were shipped unprotected. Penny sleeves would've been nice.

[from seller] Please, stop the madness. The cards were not shipped unprotected and you know it

Something to consider...? :what:

Offline Whoa1234

• Trade Count: (+114)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 12:37:09 AM »
I vote for neutral feedback. :/

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 05:57:15 AM »
Hm, that's a tough one. I'm okay with positive feedback if the person owns up to their mistakes, but this person didn't really. I mean they refuded the shipping, but they also didn't own up to omitting flaws in the listing and really bad packaging. That's my biggest beef with this, that the item was shoved into a box that is clearly not big enough for it. So I'd mention that in the feedback at least.

Offline ClosetAvalanche

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 10:08:30 AM »
Yeah, I'd do a neutreal, As a seller I always try to make right weather refunding completely or a partial.

Offline little.fox

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • The Little Red Fox
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 11:59:07 AM »
I vote Neutral.

I dont think this sounds like a very nice seller at all!

Offline kCherry

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+244)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • *-* Smart Doll Obsessed *-*
    • View Profile
    • Studio 7th Sanctuary is now on Facebook
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 12:04:12 PM »
  You've handled the situation beautifully, cobalte!! :bigups:
Well, now that you have been given a refund on shipping, do you actually feel like this was a positive transaction? If yes, then leave a positive, if you are still not happy (and it sounds like you're not; I know that his response wouldn't have made me happy.) you should seriously consider leaving a neutral.
And don't forget, that refund was for shipping overages- he OWED you that money, his refund merely keeps him from being a little thief, as far as I'm concerned.

Just go with your gut feelings here. And remember, too that eBay doesn't allow false positives, so no worries about a negative from him. ;)

My Etsy shop O Ponies *** My Youtube Channel

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2012, 06:42:33 PM »
  Well, now that you have been given a refund on shipping, do you actually feel like this was a positive transaction? If yes, then leave a positive, if you are still not happy (and it sounds like you're not; I know that his response wouldn't have made me happy.) you should seriously consider leaving a neutral.

This is what I think too ^^ . Normally I would have left a positive in this kind of situation if the response had been better, but I'm leaning towards a neutral after that message. I'm glad he refunded you the extra shipping , but it was what he overcharged you anyways, and he will not admit he made a  mistake. The response he left to the other feedback by the buyer with a smiliar problem to yours is also concerning :crazy: 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal