collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: taming tinsel, and tips?  (Read 1370 times)

Offline PonySeeker128

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • Customs
taming tinsel, and tips?
« on: February 01, 2012, 06:58:06 AM »
I have a couple ponies that need their tinsel tamed, its in good condition, just kinked. Is there anything I can do to straighten it a little or make it a little less crazy?
Deviant Art~Commissions Are CLOSED~
Wishlist (MH)

Offline kittybethy

• Trade Count: (+266)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Life is way to precious to spend it being cool!
    • View Profile
Re: taming tinsel, and tips?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 07:40:34 AM »
I think there is a tutorial somewhere...

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 07:49:59 AM »
The first thing is that it depends on the tinsel. The colored tinsel like on the G1 princess ponies and fashion style Luna and Celestia are a bit different then the general shiny tinsel that most ponies with tinsel have.

I use hot water and conditioner to go through the pony's hair in general, and carefully use a little bit of heat-- a curling or straightening iron on low. If you do this, make sure that the pony's hair is damp. Do not use heat on dry pony hair.

Another technique I use is running the pony's hair through dryer sheets while the pony's hair is damp. Fair warning, this does help a bit but it's hard to wash out the dryer sheet residue. You really have to be tenacious otherwise you'll be left with a waxy feeling on the hair once it dries.

A double whammy of these two techniques usually does pretty well!
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 08:47:32 AM »
You need to be really careful when using the flattening iron on tinsel because certain types (the iridescent ones) get melted on them. Those would be the ones on most G3s and G1 brides etc.

However, I´ve had success with hot water and conditioner as well. I wuld condition the hair let it stay a bit, then I´d run it under very hot water (as hot as the tap will go) for a minute or so, then rinse and possibly repeat. This hasn't exactly straightened the tinsel but it has tamed it, as in, it goes together with the hair if you don'T comb too much :)

I hope this helps ^^ if not, and if you want the tinsel prefect, there are some tutorials here that might help.
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal