collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What is your collecting story?  (Read 10215 times)

Offline RAMChYLD

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Geeky pony wrangler.
    • View Profile
    • http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Tropers/RAMChYLD
Re: What is your collecting story?
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2012, 09:44:43 AM »
Well, actually, while I was into ponies (or rather, Megan) since the 80s, the ponies themselves were pretty much nonexistent over here. So I lived my childhood without them, only living with the TV series and movie in mind (and even then, I didn't really enjoy them due to my fear of the villains) and dreaming of what it's like to be playing with Megan (ok, I had a weird imaginative life in my childhood. I had a crush on Megan and constantly imagined marrying her  :blush: ), and after I discovered "Tales", Sweetheart.

I started small scale back in 2007/2008. A few online friends retriggered my interest in them and I decided to try out G3, starting with a Sing and Dance Pinkie Pie. Then I decided I wanted the large Pinkie Pie as seen in the Transformers film. So I turned to eBay and got one. About a year later I found a 25th Anniversary Pinkie Pie plush (practically the same plush, but with a 25th Anniversary insignia embroidered to one of the legs) and bought it on impulse.

Things only hit full swing last year. I decided I wanted a Fluttershy and Applejack after an encounter with them at a Toys R Us store and my heart fell for their puppydog eyes. I decided at that time "Ok, I'll only add these two to my collection. Can't be that hard". Then I found out that Andrea Libman was the voice of Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie, and Ashleigh Ball was the voice of Applejack and Rainbow Dash, and decided I want all Fluttershys and Applejacks. Then I discovered that Tabitha St. Germain (Cheer Bear from Care Bears: AiCAL) is Rarity and Tara Strong (Chloe from Madeline) is Twilight Sparkle, and then I heard "Winter Wrap Up"...
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 09:50:19 AM by RAMChYLD »
I'm cataloging FIM pony product codes! Check it out! | My Wish list. Updated in real time. | My G4 Army register

Offline BridgetsMum

• Queen of Pink Bottoms!
  • Trade Count: (+210)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
    • http://julies.mlparena.com
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2012, 10:45:26 AM »
I just happened to come across them on eBay and then it hit me---I remember those! So for Christmas I got my little cousin a set. Then I decided to get them for my daughter. Then of course I couldn't stop. I must've brushed their hair for months. I was soo in love, still am. :)
Line up for Arena Anniversary Spankies!

Offline RainbowWindy

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+315)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2012, 10:53:37 AM »
They were my favorite toy as a child in the '80s and had always wanted to keep them to give to my daughter someday. Some of you might remember Silver_dawn, she was student at the school where I work in the library and I remember her talking about My Little Ponies and selling them on ebay. I thought 'hey, I still have my childhood collection stored in my parents basement, maybe I should dig them out and sell them as it looks like I will never have a daughter.'
As I was cleaning them up, I just couldn't part with them, they brought back such nostalgia that I decided that since my husband collects collections, maybe I should have one, too. Boy, I did not know what I was getting myself into. I haven't counted all that I have now but it must be over 1000.
EBay Sales ~~
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2012, 11:08:38 AM »
I'd had ponies since I was a kid in the 80's, but what really started my current obsession was the very first G3's when they came out at KB toys.

Offline VanillaBean

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.VanillaTwist.deviantart.com
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2012, 11:50:05 AM »
I was lucky enough to experience 3 gens as a kid.  :P
I was born in '92, so I grew up with G2 toys. One of my best friends had two G1 videos & we watched them over & over again. I didn't know about the original toyline back then, so I kinda wondered why all the characters were different.   xD
The first G3s came out the summer before I started year 6, & I still considered myself an 'acceptable' age for ponies. My parents disagreed, so I didn't get any ponies then, but my best friend got Sparkleworks & I was jealous, haha.   :lol: We played loads of pretend games back then in her garden, revolving around the original 8 G3s. I was always Sparkleworks & she was Rainbow Dash.
Anyway, I admired the G3 artwork & toys until the dreaded core 7 began. During secondary school, I found the pony community online. It made me so happy when I re-watched the old G1 episodes, & I decided I HAD to buy some.
I lurked around the Arena for a looong time, then joined & bought SS Paradise, my first G1. :) She & Surprise had always been my favourite characters in the show.
& the rest is history.  :D   I now collect mainly G1 & G3, although I may buy back some of my G2 childhood ponies.  ^-^
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 11:53:40 AM by VanillaBean »
Hunting for G2 MLP & Pretty Pony Club magazines! :)

Offline Ginger

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • TE Bright Eyes Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2012, 12:21:00 PM »
These are fun stories, thanks for sharing!! Mine is less interesting but here it goes,

I was a 1990 kid. When I was really young I had just a couple ponies. The first was a G1 given second hand. The second was a G2 that my Grandma bought me when she took me toy shopping and I got to pick out a toy. That is one of my favorite memories- it was so FUN and I remember every bit of it.

I really liked them but we hardly had any money and at the time, I was more interested in American Girl, Polly Pocket and Beanie Babies. Nothing ever became a "collection", I just had a little bit of everything.

Fast forward to now, my boyfriend watched FIM before me and liked it. He knows my tastes well and encouraged me to watch it too. I loved it. So I went to TRU to "just get one pony" for the sake of having a pony from a show I liked so much. When I opened it, I sort of re-lived the joy I felt when I went shopping with my Grandma.

I took a trip down memory lane, looked them up on google, found this forum, and then the ponies multiplied.  :biggrin:

Wanted | Flickr | Tumblr | PonyDex

Offline Flitter

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2012, 12:35:53 PM »
Hm, I can't quite remember exactly how it happened (I probably saw some on flickr or something) but sometime last summer I realized that the G4 pony toys were really adorable and wanted to buy some. I remember just like one afternoon I decided I needed to go a mission to find the toys and walked to the store since my husband was at work and had the car and I didn't want to wait for some reason. I was so happy that they had all the mane 6. I started watching the show at that time too. Now I've completely fallen in love.

I had seen like an episode or two months earlier and felt just kind of 'meh' about it but somehow now I'm hooked. I really enjoy collecting the toys as a hobby now too since my previous collections (Re-Ment and BJD) are a lot harder for me to keep active and involved in than they once were.

I did have G1s as a child, and my sister had a couple G3 which were cute too but those are all gone now and after finding a few at a thrift store I've realized I only really feel nostalgic about the G1s I once had and don't really want to collect them again.

Offline Saoirse

• Trade Count: (+75)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Part time collector, Full time addict!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2012, 12:39:23 PM »
some amazing stories!

I grew up with them( I was an 80s child) Ive only 4 of my original ones left but the arena and ebay have helped me rebuild!

Offline Icecrystalline

• Guardian of Dreams
  • Trade Count: (+128)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • No longer active.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2012, 12:40:57 PM »
When I was 3, my mum and I used to route charity shops and car boot sales for toys that I'd like, I must have chosen a pony at one point (can't remember my first) but I know I loved them ever since (I was born in 1995), I stopped playing with them when I was 6 probably and sold off my very poor condition ones and kept about 15 ish and then when my grandma died this august, I got my ponies down from the loft and they reminded me of happy times, so I decided to start collecting them with the pocket money I get, although my mum doesn't approve of spending £200 odd on two ponies at one time... :S I know that they bring me comfort, and they remind me of the happiest childhood a child could wish for, and since my grandma died, my health has deteriorated, and by collecting ponies whilst recouperating, I feel content with what I have. I 'm getting better now and everytime I see my ponies in my room, it makes me smile. (I don't have anything major, I just suffer very badly from IBS, I'm not dying!)
That's why I collect ponies :)
xxx

Offline tehrin

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2012, 01:00:36 PM »
I think it was on my 3rd birthday, I got Gusty as either a birthday or christmas present. I remembered how much I enjoyed her. From there, it all went downhill during my childhood. I loved ponies and ended up getting a lot of them!

My mom ended up selling off my collection when I was older, like 10 or 11, though I still got ponies here and there for Christmas in the early 90's. No idea what happened to them, except that they probably went to my niece who was 6 years younger than me.

I had a friend who loved ponies and we'd play with them together and other toys when I was about 11 or 12. But her grandmother wouldn't let us see eachother anymore after she found out I was turning 13. :(  So, we'd sneak and borrow ponies!

During high school, and once I got internet in the late 90's, I was in an 80's nostalgia craze, looking up old toys and things like that.  A friend bought me the G2 computer game, but that was all I had as far as G2 ponies go.

Then when I was in college, I met up with my old childhood friend who had ponies. We hung out a lot. She eventually gave me her childhood collection and a custom! I had them on display in my room, but I never did much with them or collected further...

Fast forward nearly 10 years later, I see V-day Pinkie Pie at Target. I was disgusted at how "dumb" they made the ponies look. I swore it off.  Then I started seeing ponies on facebook, some other site, livejournal, convention forums... you name it.  My one friend (Rayechu here) is to blame for getting me into collecting. I saw pictures of her G4 ponies, and fell in love with Rainbow dash. I caved in and bought her, then watched the show. I had to get my childhood ponies back, and get those ponies from my parent's attic!

My first G1 purchase was Gusty.

9 months later, I have like 120ish ponies from all generations. x_x LOL!

(also click for my sales here. :3)

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2012, 01:08:20 PM »
Ponies were my favourite toys as a kid (80's). I cherished them dearly, and the 16 or so I had accumulated eventually were stashed away in a box. No way were they ever being thrown out or donated!

Years later, I pulled them out for my eldest girl to look at. Watching her play with them was so warm fuzzy-ish! But... the play got a little rougher, and as I did yet another hair tidy up on one of them, I realised I might not quite be ready to have my beloved girls ruined just yet! Coupled with a sudden google-fest of all things pony, I started lovingly restoring them to former glory, and then got thinking about what other ponies I had wanted as a kid...

...well, over a hundred G1's later (daughters were given newer substitutes!) I've gone, fair to say, pony mad! I don't know what it is really. They just make me happy. It's a nostalgia thing I guess, and the restoration side of things, whilst I am still pretty fresh at it, has become a very satisfying hobby!

My girls still get to cuddle 'Mummy's' ponies now and then, and very sweetly seem to understand that those particular ponies, are very special  :)

Here's what's left of my original childhood ponies below  :)  :

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2012, 02:32:18 PM »
I think it all started when my mother bought me a cotton candy plushie for a birthday or something. Then I think my mother got me Cotton candy the toy pony. She had no idea I would become a collector. I think I started collecting ponies with my allowance back when the Toys R Us's had rows after rows of toys. I remember a whole wall of ponies. Anyhow I remember when they were only 5-6 dollars back then. I started gathering more and more ponies about around 100 or so. Then unfortunately I gave all my ponies away :/ I still regret it. I only kept two: Sparkler and Curly locks.
Flash forward to 2007-8 I found Dream Valley. I saw Medley staring at me. Then I wonder if they had any on ebay? And then she started me back into collecting. I have been off and on a (year break) Im still active as usual and gone pony mad like everyone else that loves ponies. Even now since I stored most of my collection away I still have a handful here. They maybe stored away from my sight but not from my heart.

Offline Ice Crystal

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2012, 03:19:35 PM »
I have been collecting my whole life! My first major collection was Sylvester the cat from when I was about five years old until I was ten. I still have the collection in storage, actually! Over 200 items. I also had some general collections; TY beanie babies, Boyds bears (or cats in my case), bone china/Haegan Renaker animals.

Starting when I was fourteen, I was really serious about collecting pokemon toys, focusing on a few monsters in particular. I paused collecting pokemon last year after I hit most of my major goals, and because I wanted to focus on ponies. There are still a few things I would like to pick up but they are way out of my price range and hard to find besides. I was roped into pony collecting by FiM. G1 and G3 are my focus now though. G4 ponies are so disappointing in comparison. :'( But I do have a G4 Rarity collection and strive to collect all of her figures and plush (should she ever get any).

So I guess I have a collecting bug and ponies are the perfect franchise for somebody like me. I also like styling their manes. :3c

SalesWants
LOOKING FOR: "Quick" Rarity, Salty's accesories & Wavedancer's shell.
Please PM me if you have any of these for sale!

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2012, 04:43:02 PM »
My story goes back to the late 80's to start.  I was born in 1984.  I was told when I was around 3-5 years of age to pick out a pony.  I picked out Princess Royal Blue.  I think I remember asking my Mom if I could have a baby to go with it and she said I could so I picked out Teen Tiny Baby Little Whiskers.  I had some childhood friends who were kids of my Mom's friends.  One of the kids had brought over some ponies, which she didn't want anymore and asked me which ones I wanted.  I picked out Princess Starburst, So-Soft Twist, and Moondancer (with a cut tail).  I pretended that Princess Starburst was actually a boy and was married to Princess Royal Blue.  I pretended Teeny Tiny Baby Little Whiskers was their baby and she was a newborn unicorn and too young to have her horn.  I thought my Twist was a male, because she had faded to gray.  I didn't know at the time that male ponies have the furry hooves.  Moondancer was my So-Soft Twist's wife.  I remember all the girls in my neighborhood had ponies and most had more than I did.  Every now and then we would all get together and play ponies.  I remember my next door neighbors had Paradise Estate.  I also remember one neighbor had Baby Shady and her Beddy-Bye Eyes were the reason she was very coveted by the other girls. (lol)

When I was around 13 or 14 years old I decided I was too old for ponies, or decided I wanted to be overly generous because I remember I used to give away stuff as a kid because I was too kind....I decided to give my ponies to a younger neighbor who I also used to play ponies and Barbie's with.

I think when I was around 16 or 17 I saw my first G3 commercial for the Cotton Candy Cafe.  I was in shock at seeing My Little Pony again and it brought back fun memories of my childhood, playing with my ponies.  I suddenly had the urge to look for my childhood ponies, forgetting that I gave them away.  Since I didn't find them I sort of wanted to get back into ponies again but thought I was too old for them.  My parent's were against it but I started buying ponies for myself, starting with the early G3's, which came with the charms.  I was obsessed with the stickerbook game which had :  pinkie pie, kimono, sunny daze, minty, wysteria, rainbow dash, and another one I can't remember.  You could do the cafe as a scene, ponyville meadow, or celebration castle.  I know you can still play the game if you search for it.  Anyway, I tried really hard to get those ponies that were in that stickerbook game.  I got most except kimono.  Later, I received Celebration Castle from someone who knew I loved ponies. 

Some time after, I began to miss G1's and that time period.  I thought it would be hard to get G1's but it turned out to be easy.  I found a message board called Ponyfinders and found out someone in my state of Rhode Island also was into ponies as an adult and she lived near my town.  I traded and bought G1's from people on that website.  Eventually, I found the arena and trading post and bought more ponies.  I acquired lots more ponies than I had in my childhood collection.  I displayed them proudly on a small 3 foot shelf in my room but had to put them away, because my cat liked to mess up my display too much. (lol)  I also requested customs from people from ideas I had, which I wanted put to life. 

I attended my first My Little Pony fair when the first one appeared in Rhode Island I think in 2008.  I was beyond awestruck.  When the second My Little Pony fair appeared in Rhode Island I acquired my dream playset to own:  Dream Castle from emerly.  She gave me a near complete Dream Castle in pretty good condition, complete with spike.

Currently, my collection is in my closet in boxes until I can one day display them properly--hopefully in a pony room.  I want to make nice display with my Dream Castle and make a sort of pony scene.

Sorry this was long but I hope you enjoyed reading it. 
:enthralled:

Offline Juri

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • The Revolutionary Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2012, 12:56:14 AM »
I had lots of ponies when I was little, though at that time I didnt think of them as being a 'collection'. I did have a            ' proper 'collection of Russ Trolls  growing up, and about 200 odd cuddly toys :)

When I started re buying my girls, I only intended to get my childhood ponies back, but I realised that I just love so many of them that the purchasing kept going :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal