collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: is it forbidden ???  (Read 18842 times)

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: is it forbidden ???
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2012, 08:48:24 PM »
Actually they are illegal due to a really old law that has absolutely nothing to do with candy, but was put into place because the Elixir Sulfanilamide Disaster. They were actually being sold in the US until Nestle started making their Magic Ball, which was similar. Mars didn't like the competition so they decided to bring it to the government's attention that the Magic Balls (and Kinder eggs got dragged into this as well) were in violation of the law.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

kmlv23

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2012, 09:49:47 PM »
True and utterly ridiculous. :(

Post Merge: January 30, 2012, 09:50:36 PM

Actually they are illegal due to a really old law that has absolutely nothing to do with candy, but was put into place because the Elixir Sulfanilamide Disaster. They were actually being sold in the US until Nestle started making their Magic Ball, which was similar. Mars didn't like the competition so they decided to bring it to the government's attention that the Magic Balls (and Kinder eggs got dragged into this as well) were in violation of the law.
Actually I heard it was become some idiot kids were swallowing the toys because they popped the whole egg in their mouths and didn't chew.

Pokestine

« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2012, 10:13:36 PM »
This is so ridiculous, I know what I'm going to add to my pony packages next time I'm in a swap.

kmlv23

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2012, 10:23:42 PM »
This is so ridiculous, I know what I'm going to add to my pony packages next time I'm in a swap.
oh my gosh I would die for some I miss them so bad. :(

mana-maiden

« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2012, 12:01:49 AM »

wtf toys covered in chocolate is banninated from the united states?

Yeah. It's all negligence of lazy americans at fault that don't like to take responsibility for being lazy about not monitoring their 2 year old with a egg that has a toy in it.

wtf illegal though... that's like banninating coffee because americans burn themselves on it and sue every company that produces it. (True story from McDonald's!)

*walks away grumbling incoherently*

THEY KEEP ALL THE NICE THINGS AWAY FROM US.

Moonstorm

« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2012, 12:03:51 AM »
I'm happy I'm not the only one who didn't know it :) (even though it is 7574 Kilometers / 4706 Miles away, I still think I should know it)
I think I'm going to sneak some into packages in the future too.

do you guys also have a "causion there is milk inside" label on cheese or something?

when I was a kid I noticed this stuff by myself like knives are sharp, heating is hot,...... how can that change?

Offline fingerpaints

• Makin' a mess pony
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • manahmanah :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2012, 02:23:26 AM »
I was going through a bunch of old outdated random laws from different coutries one night at work, some of them were a real crack up. This is just insane though, kinder surprise eggs are awesome! I love kinder choccie, you can buy it on its own, but its half the fun finding out what surprise you have inside the egg :P

Offline Roccoriel

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2012, 05:44:57 AM »
I'm happy I'm not the only one who didn't know it :) (even though it is 7574 Kilometers / 4706 Miles away, I still think I should know it)
I think I'm going to sneak some into packages in the future too.

do you guys also have a "causion there is milk inside" label on cheese or something?

when I was a kid I noticed this stuff by myself like knives are sharp, heating is hot,...... how can that change?

No, but we do have labels saying that your hot beverage may be hot, your soup may be hot after removing it from the microwave, and that peanuts may contain nuts (which I guess sort of makes sense because peanuts aren't really nuts and someone may be fine with peanuts and allergic to tree nuts, but it sound silly).  For a while, they were trying to make hot dogs a different shape (like hamburger shaped) because kids would occasionally choke on one.

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2012, 06:54:46 AM »
My peanuts don't say "May contain nuts" they say "May contain peanuts". I find myself wondering what the heck else is in this package if it's not peanuts.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2012, 07:56:19 AM »

Actually I heard it was become some idiot kids were swallowing the toys because they popped the whole egg in their mouths and didn't chew.

I wouldn't be surprised if Mars didn't pay some mom to say that. As long as the Heimlich maneuver is done the kid will be alright and not need any medical attention so there isn't really anything to prove it other than someone saying it happened.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline EmberBright

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Disregard the Prologue - my blog about... um... everything
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2012, 08:25:14 AM »
Insanity. Just because something could happen (or has happened very rarely in the past) doesn't mean something should be banned.

And I think the hot coffee woman actually was right to sue. Completely. I've heard of TONS of other frivolous lawsuits that tick me off, but that's not one of them. :)

Disregard the Prologue

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2012, 08:54:42 AM »
The coffee manual at Mcdonalds required the coffee to be 180 degrees minimum. That temp causes third degree burns in seconds. A 79 year old woman was severely burnt and had to have grafts. It was probably thousands in bills. That's why she sued.
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

Offline Izrabeth

• Mrs Johnny Depp
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2012, 09:13:40 AM »
 :shocked: seriously this is so ridicolous, here in italy they are everywhere, there's no kid that has never got at least once those eggs.
And it's written they contain small parts so it's up to parents to check their children and I never heard of people here putting up a legal fight for an accident...simply you wouldn't win since it's written  >_<
But....what happens if I send some as gift to US friends?? they just throw them away or... :lookround:

kmlv23

« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2012, 12:01:55 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised if Mars didn't pay some mom to say that. As long as the Heimlich maneuver is done the kid will be alright and not need any medical attention so there isn't really anything to prove it other than someone saying it happened.
Oh but it's ~traumatic~ dontcha know.
UGH I hate my country sometimes.

:shocked: seriously this is so ridicolous, here in italy they are everywhere, there's no kid that has never got at least once those eggs.
And it's written they contain small parts so it's up to parents to check their children and I never heard of people here putting up a legal fight for an accident...simply you wouldn't win since it's written  >_<
But....what happens if I send some as gift to US friends?? they just throw them away or... :lookround:
A couple other people have said it goes through sometimes...but I wouldn't doubt that when caught they just throw them away...*sigh*

Offline zuse

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • http://littlestpetshop.50webs.com
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2012, 02:55:48 PM »
Apparently this is based on a really old law... 1938

Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (FD&C Act) - Sec. 402. [21 USC §342] Adulterated Food

(d) Confectionery containing alcohol or nonnutritive substance. If it is confectionery, and—

(1) has partially or completely imbedded therein any nonnutritive object, except that this subparagraph shall not apply in the case of any nonnutritive object if, in the judgment of the Secretary as provided by regulations, such object is of practical functional value to the confectionery product and would not render the product injurious or hazardous to health;

(2) bears or contains any alcohol other than alcohol not in excess of one-half of 1 per centum by volume derived solely from the use of flavoring extracts, except that this clause shall not apply to confectionery which is introduced or delivered for introduction into, or received or held for sale in, interstate commerce if the sale of such confectionery is permitted under the laws of the State in which such confectionery is intended to be offered for sale; or

(3) bears or contains any nonnutritive substance, except that this subparagraph shall not apply to a safe nonnutritive substance which is in or on confectionery by reason of its use for some practical functional purpose in the manufacture, packaging, or storage of such confectionery if the use of the substance does not promote deception of the consumer or otherwise result in adulteration or misbranding in violation of any provision of this Act, except that the Secretary may, for the purpose of avoiding or resolving uncertainty as to the application of this subparagraph, issue regulations allowing or prohibiting the use of particular nonnutritive substances.

We used to have the Nestle Wonder Ball over here but they got busted too. We don't have a specific law that says "NO KINDER SURPRISE ALLOWED!" But we do have laws about people adulterating food with non-edible objects. That's great when we're trying to avoid razor blades or whatever. Not so great when we want a toy inside our tasty treat!

Like was previously said, Mars called Nestle out and then there was no more Wonder Ball. And no more Kinder Surprise either!

(Archived conversation from the old board: http://www.mlparena.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=255067/postdays=0/postorder=asc/start=0.html)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 03:01:11 PM by zuse »
Is it summer yet? :-P
Hey, check out Swagbucks.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal