Pony Talk > Off Topic

Anyone make jewelry?

(1/3) > >>

StoryDreamer:
I've really been wanting to make some jewelry. I have a few ideas of necklaces I want to design, maybe even a pony symbol or two to try to sculpt, but I wanted to know if anyone made jewelry and if they had any tips? 

I mainly want to attach certain charms on to jewelry, and maybe eventually join chain in between charms..

I know people here are ridiculously creative so I thought I'd ask!

ashes:
The only thing I've ever made are earrings.  I think the main thing is to get good tools that feel comfortable in your hands (especially when making loops and such with the wire).

kittybethy:
I dabble in jewelry making.

Not a pro though :)

creampuf:
Tips!

When you are first starting don't worry about buying more expensive gems, learn with simple glass or clearance items.

Be Patient

Buy a book or two that have the kind of styles you like and learn form their instructions.

Have fun

Good comfy tools are a must.

Never skimp on beading wire/tread. Fishing line may seem inexpensive and strong but the friction of the beads eats at it.

When shopping for pendants or charms online have a ruler and piece of paper next to you, mark the height and width using your ruler so you aren't surprised by the size when it comes in.

Wire wrapping takes some practice...buy some cheap galvanized wire for a hardware store at different gauges to get the feel. Usually you can get it for a couple bucks for a big spinal.

Pre-plan your pieces by laying out the materials and form a pattern after you have it the way you like it then begin the construction work.

When choosing metal wire gauges, smaller numbers mean fatter wire.

Make sure you count the weight of the charms when figuring out the tinsel strength you'll need.

When using jump ring always twist them apart never stretch open the circle. This leaves them weak and no longer circular.

Great sources on using wire and jump rings come from chain mail makers. I love chain mail myself but found my metal work got better when I learned to make it.

as for sculpting you'll want to find some tutorials and/or good books on them. Once you get the basic idea down designing your own creations is easier and more fun.

starrypawz:
I've never done it but I've always wanted to play around with it. :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version