collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Any one know anything about Sky Dancers?  (Read 7667 times)

Fizzy_Surprise

• Trade Count: (0)
Any one know anything about Sky Dancers?
« on: January 29, 2012, 08:30:59 AM »
I recently bought a Sky Dancer from a charity shop and came home to try and ID her. I have struggled to find out anything at all about Sky Dancers except that they were recalled and I dont even know how to know if she is a real Sky Dancer and not just a fakie!

So I thought I'd give it a shot asking here.

If it helps at all she is a black and white harlequin with brown hair and a male harlequin holding her up as her launcher (pics will come later).

Any information is very much appreciated  :biggrin: [size=78%] [/size]

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
Re: Any one know anything about Sky Dancers?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 11:11:03 AM »
I used to love these but they were recalled for some reason.  I think it was a safety hazard?

Dont know much about names though--goodluck on your search to find out :D
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Levengale

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 12:20:21 PM »
They were recalled? Hm...I think I kind of remember that. Don't remember why.
They used to be my favorite toys, though! I had a blonde one with a carousel bunny launcher-thing.

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 01:06:30 PM »
The originals were recalled because kids were aiming them at each other and getting hurt. They ended up bringing them back later on with a new style but they could only fly upright and had softer wings.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline xkelpiex

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • They/Them.or Fae/Faer pronouns pls
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 01:28:44 PM »
I myself have scoured the internet trying to find info. I want to buy back my childhood Sky Dancer, but don't know her name. Not even Ghost of the doll has much info, except that were, in fact, recalled.

Offline Chai

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • yoga pony!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 02:44:16 PM »
I had a few Sky Dancers as a kid... I remember that my hair always got caught in them and ripped big hunks out of my head (I had butt-length hair, lol). I wonder if that was part of the recall too?

thanks to sunnyrain for my avatar and sweetmelons for my sig.

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 04:15:30 PM »
All I know is that they were recalled too. I wish you luck getting the info you need.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Sarahlacewing

• Mommy sparkle pony
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 05:41:01 PM »
Well they are usually marked under their wing.  Some they were recalled as a health hazard most people don't sell them.  They can't be sold on Ebay because of the recall.  However, they often turn up at shops.  I don't know of any complete listings though. What information are you seeking?
I'm not really on here anymore. Email me if you need my for something.

Offline Ginger

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • TE Bright Eyes Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 07:28:39 PM »
Good luck finding the info!! It's such a bummer that it's hard to come by. I used to have several of them when I was a kid. They were great fun and I never got hurt or anything haha. I lost one on the roof once. They kept getting stuck up there and finally my dad refused to get it back down. D:

Wanted | Flickr | Tumblr | PonyDex

Claro

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 01:30:50 AM »
About the recall:

"WASHINGTON, D.C. - In cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), Galoob&® Toys Inc., of San Francisco, Calif., is recalling about 8.9 million Sky Dancers&® flying dolls. Galoob&® was purchased by Hasbro in 1998. The hard plastic Sky Dancers&® dolls can fly rapidly in unpredictable directions, and can hit and injure both children and adults. Galoob&® has received 170 reports of the dolls striking children and adults resulting in 150 reports of injuries. They include eye injuries including scratched corneas and incidents of temporary blindness, broken teeth, a mild concussion, a broken rib, and facial lacerations that required stitches. The recalled Sky Dancers&® dolls were sold in many different styles, including Pretty Lights Sky Dancers, Mini-Sky Dancers and Fairy Flyers. The princess/ballerina-type dolls have hair pulled up into a pony tail and have stiff foam wing-covered arms that propel the doll when it is launched. The launchers, sold in many shapes including dolphins, flowers, moon, ponies, and sun and rainbow, have a molded plastic base and a pull-cord. The launchers were sold in both hand-held and table-top versions. The doll is inserted into the top of the launcher feet-first, and the pull-cord is pulled to launch the doll. The packaging is labeled "Sky Dancers&®," "galoob&®," "MADE IN CHINA," "Ages 5 and Up Only" and "Not for children under 3 years." Mass merchandise and toy stores nationwide sold the dolls from November 1994 through June 2000 for between $8 to $25." From: http://www.hasbro.com/customer-service/recall/Recall-Galoob-Sky-Dancers.cfm

Sky Dancers - Dream Dancers: http://www.darah.com/collection/skydancers/toyguide.asp

The only solution to your problem might be to contact Hasbro (they DID buy Galoob, didn't they?) and find out if they have a reference guide. I see Hasbro archived Galoobs WHOLE site (and they had excellent references on there).

Post Merge: January 30, 2012, 01:42:33 AM

Laaaaaast thing and I'll stop! :P

I read this, http://winx-fairies.blogspot.com/2009/06/older-winx-club-toys.html - quite interesting.

I also think some people on MLPTP.net collect Sky Dancers.

Lastly, I think you should use Google Images as reference for you Sky Dancer.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 01:42:33 AM by Claro »

Timepiece

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 02:31:54 AM »
About the recall:

"WASHINGTON, D.C. - In cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), Galoob&® Toys Inc., of San Francisco, Calif., is recalling about 8.9 million Sky Dancers&® flying dolls. Galoob&® was purchased by Hasbro in 1998. The hard plastic Sky Dancers&® dolls can fly rapidly in unpredictable directions, and can hit and injure both children and adults. Galoob&® has received 170 reports of the dolls striking children and adults resulting in 150 reports of injuries. They include eye injuries including scratched corneas and incidents of temporary blindness, broken teeth, a mild concussion, a broken rib, and facial lacerations that required stitches. The recalled Sky Dancers&® dolls were sold in many different styles, including Pretty Lights Sky Dancers, Mini-Sky Dancers and Fairy Flyers. The princess/ballerina-type dolls have hair pulled up into a pony tail and have stiff foam wing-covered arms that propel the doll when it is launched. The launchers, sold in many shapes including dolphins, flowers, moon, ponies, and sun and rainbow, have a molded plastic base and a pull-cord. The launchers were sold in both hand-held and table-top versions. The doll is inserted into the top of the launcher feet-first, and the pull-cord is pulled to launch the doll. The packaging is labeled "Sky Dancers&®," "galoob&®," "MADE IN CHINA," "Ages 5 and Up Only" and "Not for children under 3 years." Mass merchandise and toy stores nationwide sold the dolls from November 1994 through June 2000 for between $8 to $25." From: http://www.hasbro.com/customer-service/recall/Recall-Galoob-Sky-Dancers.cfm

Sky Dancers - Dream Dancers: http://www.darah.com/collection/skydancers/toyguide.asp

The only solution to your problem might be to contact Hasbro (they DID buy Galoob, didn't they?) and find out if they have a reference guide. I see Hasbro archived Galoobs WHOLE site (and they had excellent references on there).

I read this, http://winx-fairies.blogspot.com/2009/06/older-winx-club-toys.html - quite interesting.

THAT was interesting. I never got one of those dolls, but I see endless commercials of those, it's a daily thing to see on the TV of the 90s.

Oh and that website... Interesting. God you can't tell how much I enjoyed my days watching cartoons on Saturday... And for Winx Club. *cough* (twintailmusaiscute)

Fizzy_Surprise

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2012, 02:45:28 AM »
About the recall:

Thanks for all that, I've had a look through the galoob website but there wasn't many dolls on it, I'll have another dig around to make sure I was on the right place. I might try asking over at the mlptp then as well.
You've done quite abit of work on this lol

Offline fireextinquisher

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://fireextinquisher.tumblr.com
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2012, 07:57:15 AM »
OMG I didn't realise they were recalled! Although when I got mine for my birthday or something my aunt shot it straight into her eye xP I wish I'd kept mine :drunk:

Thanks to sabathamk and monstarnomnom (icon)

Offline Whoa1234

• Trade Count: (+114)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2012, 01:10:57 PM »
I'm totally guilty of aiming them at my little brothers head.
I was a bad little kid. :(

Offline sabathamk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sabrinas-space.blogspot.com
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2012, 07:02:29 PM »
I SO wanted those as a kid!  I thought they were so pretty!  I don't even know how much I would have made them fly, I just thought they were pretty (and I had a fascination with all things fairy).  My parents refused to buy them for me, and then after the recall I remember them talking about it with my aunt who got one for her daughter who was 6 years younger than I was.  They put hers away, but not after I had a go with it.  It was awesome!

I loved watching Winx... my husband didn't think it was great though, haha.  Oops... I forgot to make supper a few days, haha.

Thanks to Cardinal Melody\'s pony maker!
wishlist/adoptables

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal