collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: So... this time I need some advice!  (Read 5214 times)

Offline ClosetAvalanche

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
So... this time I need some advice!
« on: January 27, 2012, 12:23:42 PM »
I'm pretty good with Ebay and how it all works, but I have a dilemma!

I bought this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/140688296361?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
Good price in my book.

I received her today. She was packaged loose, with no padding or even a plastic bag in a huge box three times her size. It is one of those office filing boxes with the holes on the side. The box was falling apart and the tape was coming off when she got to me. I opened her up and now the bubble is coming off and there are bugs (little gnats" inside the bubble. I don't know if this was done through shipping or they were already there.

I'm furious. But the thing is, the seller is new, and probably didn't know any better. I can carefully clean out the bugs and re-glue the bubble back on, but that would devalue her? I also wouldn't mind opening her and enjoying her that way sincse she was so cheep as moc's aren't really my thing. I'm tempted to as for a refund for shipping since the pony was so poorly shipped. I don't want to send her back, though.

Help? LOL.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline 01mlplover

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
Re: So... this time I need some advice!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 12:30:08 PM »
I would just msg them telling them the situation and ask them if they're willing to give a partial refund on it. Thats usually what i do when i receive an item that was either damaged in the mail or not as described.

Offline Sarahlacewing

• Mommy sparkle pony
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 01:02:44 PM »
They might have gotten insurance or something too.  If it was damaged in transit they should definitely file a claim because that would really bring down the value of the pony.  And even if you are ok with it most people wouldn't be and it would be a good lesson for a new member to realize they packaged incorrectly. I would at least contact them to let them know so they can improve. :)
I'm not really on here anymore. Email me if you need my for something.

Offline little.fox

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • The Little Red Fox
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 01:06:33 PM »
I would try for a partial refund if I was you!
Packaging that poorly is really not OK.

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 05:54:25 PM »
Oh wow I'm  sorry to hear about the damage and the bugs! :crazy:
 I think you have some good advice here ;)  Yes the pony was cheap, but the item got damaged on its way to you which devalues it,  also the packaging was not good and this new seller needs to know that, so they can learn from it :awake:  I would politely message the seller , starting off with saying something positive about the transaction (like if they sent it quickly, or that you are happy to add this item  to your collection.. something like that) , but then explaining what happened and that you were disappointed that your item was damaged.  Then see what they say. Personally I would try and get a partial refund and keep the item . Do let us know how it goes :)   

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline Varkolak

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Mimic <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 06:13:43 PM »
first off... DUDE THAT THING IS SOOO COOL!!!!!!

ahem.. >_>

second off.. i'd do what everyone else is saying, ask for either a partial refund, or for shipping cost back. if they refuse, give neutral feedback. or negative, depending how strongly you feel about it.

Offline emery

• Dr. Quinn, Medicine Pony
  • Trade Count: (+488)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
    • emery's emporium - My Little Ponies & other toys for sale
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 10:04:48 AM »
Can you post pictures of the pony?

I saw that with the BIN and thought it was a good price too until I looked at the picture and saw how the bubble was coming off and what sad shape the box/packaging was in.

It sounds like very poor packaging on the part of the seller and I would definitely write about that but the box and stuff looked to be in bad shape just in the auction pictures so I would be interested to know how much worse it was from shipping. The bubble was definitely at least 1/3 off the way unglued just from the looking at the pic and the box looked like it has damage in multiple areas.
My Little Ponies and other toys for sale on....
Facebook @EmerysVintageEmporium
Instagram @emerys_emporium

Offline ClosetAvalanche

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 10:48:34 AM »
The box is actually in very good condition. But, you're right, now that I look closely at the picture, the bubble does appear to be loose. I was going on the description which stated never removed or opened. I probably should have looked more closely at the pics.

I did email the seller and politely requested a refund on shipping, but she basicaly told me no because the shipping was $2.00 over the $7 she charged. Well, maybe that wouldn't have happened if she had used a smaller box lol? If the bugs were in there already, that should have been mentioned, but they said they didn't notice anything so I'm assuming it happened through shipping. But I've been looking at the bugs and they look like fleas or (gasp) lice. They are all dead, thankfully.

Here is the email she sent me:

Dear closet*avalanche,

Hi,
Thank you for the information. This was my first sale on Ebay and the first time I have ever shipped a purchased item. I don't know where the bugs came from but I will speak to the local post office about that. Another hard fact for me to learn is that shipping was not $6.99 but $9.39 and because I did not do my research I lost money there as well. I do sincerely hope that you enjoy the pony but I have already lost and learned.

- lgushman2010

So I have to sit down and think about what I want to do. The major thing for me are the bugs. I's have to take off more of the bubble to clean them out, which would devalue her.

Offline fingerpaints

• Makin' a mess pony
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • manahmanah :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 05:52:08 AM »
Is there any way you could possibly clean out the bugs without taking her off the card? It would be a real shame to decard a G1, even if it wasn't in a perfect box / card or whatever. So sorry to hear about your experience though, the seller should be warned to be more careful when shipping, as well as something like the bubble coming away should actually technically be in the listing. The seller obviously knew it was a collectors item, so flaws should be described.

I can't stand sellers that try to decieve by not mentioning things in an auction, be truthful about it and the buyer may come back later, and you hopefully won't get poor feedback and a bad rep.

Offline shelti

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+1687)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2012, 09:19:30 AM »
You can clearly see in the auction picture the bubble is loose and not glued on
Look at the upper right hand corner.
The Auction does not state it's MIB, Only the pony name
and the description is Vague

"Complete in box 1988 Dance'n Prance Pony with a tail that twirls around with comb, ribbon, boa, 2 earrings, hair clip and barrette.  Never taken out of box!"

Never Taken out of Box does not mean MIB either.

You can ask for a partial refund or file with pay pal as item not as described but I think the seller would come out on top of this one.

Shel-t* Ponies

Offline Rad

• Radical Rad
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
    • Radical Creations
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2012, 09:37:07 AM »
I don't know the way eBay functions, I don't use it... But if she already lost money on shipping then I'm guessing you're out of luck there. Everyone else has already left great advice and I agree with them. My two cents is that hopefully the seller, being new and all, will learn from this experience. Sadly, sometimes it takes real life to teach such lessons. I learned the hard way early in my time with the MLP community. When I first joined, I sold some MOC G3 keychains and I didn't pad/ship them properly. The place where they were sent to got a lot of rain and my shipping mistake ruined their packaging. I was lucky; the buyer was going to open them anyway and was very kind to me as a beginner. I learned my lesson however: from then on, I package things in zip lock bags or shopping bags or something, and bubble wrap.

I'm a little leery of the seller using a box three times as big though... But like you said, first time seller. And she responded that she didn't do her research beforehand and she has learned. And even though I'm 'experienced' I still fumble when it comes to shipping rates... (Though usually only by a few cents) So... if you've got a pony you'll enjoy with a little bit of cleaning for a great price... not too much was lost, eh?

Best of luck!
Poo on you Photobucket!

Offline Stormy31685

• Trade Count: (+397)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2012, 11:02:50 AM »
Given that the seller was new, I would not ask for any kind of money back on this one.  You got one heck of a great deal to start - she would be worth twice what you paid with all her original accessories - so there really is no loss to you.  If you are that disappointed in her, I would try deboxing and reselling her.  Another will come along eventually.

I probably sound harsh, but I could not bring myself to do that to a new seller on such a great deal.  As for the bugs, a tiny car vacuum might solve that problem.

Congratulations on your great deal!

Offline emery

• Dr. Quinn, Medicine Pony
  • Trade Count: (+488)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
    • emery's emporium - My Little Ponies & other toys for sale
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2012, 12:01:00 PM »
The shipping was paid by you so even if she was out a little money that still leaves $4.59 difference that you paid for really poor packaging. If she used a box with dimensions larger than 12 inches then that definitely causes the prices to go up if she shipped by priority.

As far as the bugs where are they in the bubble? I can see some tiny speckles in the area by the earrings and the bubble area where her tail should have been but what would really tell is if she could e-mail you the full-size image that she took of the front of the box if she still has the higher resolution version. I highly doubt that they were anything that happened during shipping.

Still a great price like Stormy31685 just thinking of the individual accessory costs :)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 12:04:18 PM by emery »
My Little Ponies and other toys for sale on....
Facebook @EmerysVintageEmporium
Instagram @emerys_emporium

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2012, 01:00:36 PM »
I have to agree with Stormy and emery.  The accessories alone were so worth it.  So that being said after looking closely at the pictures it is unfortunately obvious that there is damage to the box. 
But that does not dispute the fact of it being poorly packaged.
I think maybe her being a new seller she might have thought "Well if I put it in a huge box it won't get crushed.  And not thinking hmmm..maybe I should bubble this and make sure its secure. 
It's hard to say but none the less I still think it was a great deal!
:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

Offline Stormy31685

• Trade Count: (+397)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2012, 08:53:44 AM »
The other thing with auctions like this one to keep in mind for the future, is that generally, when you get such an awesome price on something like this, it is directly because the seller does not know what they have.  Therefore, they will not pay a lot of attention to how it is packed.  Next time, you can message the seller before paying to let him or her know how you wish to have it packed.

I think it is also very important for all collectors to start being fully aware of actual shipping costs (both within their country, and in general about International packages), so they can know how much something costs.  In this case, I would have seen the $6.99 shipping and known the seller would end up losing money, so there is naturally going to be less care put into packing to simply offset costs.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal