collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Retro Dolls.com  (Read 1391 times)

Offline Sakuyamon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • artist for hire
    • View Profile
    • http://Sakuyamon.deviantart.com
Retro Dolls.com
« on: January 26, 2012, 09:19:02 AM »
Have any body heard of Retro dolls.com? I suppose not many know off it...

Thanks to that dolly hair stopped taking paypal payments and My little customs being a bit more expensive I decided to look for another doll hair selling website and remembered this one that I came across last summer. I found that the prices are half as much as My little customs and I decided to order a few hanks to try it out. I put in my order on monday, it was shipped on tuesday and I got it today. I did find that they had accidentally given me Tinsel Town Frost (white hair mixed with tinsel) instead of Frostbite (a white) and given me an extra bag of Paradise (pink) which was oddly labeled as Pink Frost, another hank which I had ordered as well.

I contacted the owner about this and she appologized for the misshap, told me I could keep the hair and that she would send a new bag of Frostbite to me. She seemed really nice.

The hair was packaged a bit messily, a few hair stack out of the bags.. not really a problem, just a bit of a differance from Dolly Hair who had very neatly packed hair. Some of the nylon hanks was cut in half and felt like RestoreDoll, this was due to that she had a change of manufacturer and put these on sale with the same price as the other nylon. There is little to no way of knowing which hair is like the Restore doll hair currently but I told her that it could be a good idea to put a sign or something which would indicate which type it is.
For now I can only tell you which hanks I got which was like the Restore doll hair. Think Pink, Oceana and Aniseed.

They have a lot of different type of hair, Saran, Nylon, Kanekalon and Acetete and a lot of different colors.

So, all in all, I do think I can recomend Retro dolls. It was a pleasant experience even with the little mixup, and I do think they be about as good as dolly hair once they get a better register of MLP hair matches.

Tomorrow I will be checking if any of the colors I bought matches the ponies hair, I will then post the results here! :)

Offline carlabarla

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://seethecee.deviantart.com/
Re: Retro Dolls.com
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 03:29:13 PM »
Thank you for the review! It's nice to know of other hair stores

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 03:33:15 PM »
can you link to the site? I tried googling it but all it gave me was a site for pin-up photography oO

Edit: Found it... for sake of sanity for everyone who is trying to google it -> Retro Dolls
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 03:36:23 PM by sd_dreamcrystal »
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline coinoperatedgirl

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I paint stuff.
    • View Profile
    • Coin-Operated Customs
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 06:16:01 PM »
I just ordered from Dollyhair using Paypal.  I used Paypal 2 weeks ago without any issues as well.

Offline Sakuyamon

• artist for hire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 06:06:49 AM »
Oh really? I thought Tina shut down all to do with paypal after all the trouble it gave her...

Anyway here is my results from the hair matching I did with Retro dolls hair.

Aniseed-no match

Paradise – Very close to Dolly Hairs Pussy cat but its less orange. Could surely be used to replace “Fading Pink” hair which majority of the pink haired ponies have. I might conduct an experiment once summer arrives to see if it fades as easily(cant currently due to that the sun is to weak here in Sweden).

Pink Frost – Extremely close match to Munchy and Cherries Jubilee  but a tiny bit lighter.
Whipped Cream – no match

Crystal Rose – Very close to Paradise and dolly hairs Tea rose, but its colder than paradise and lighter and shinier than Tea Rose.

Seafoam – Close to Dolly hairs waternixie but a tad lighter and less green

Tinsel Town Frost -  Pony bride(Heart and doves versions) even the tinsel matched, maybe not 100 % but it’s a bit hard to make sure when its crinkled but its about the same color, Slugger, Strawberry Scoops, Milkyway, Hollywood, Creamsicle, Baby Stripes and baby Nectar and G3 Starcatcher (blue wings). (some of the hair seemed a bit greyer or duller than the hank but it might be because they are over 20 years old and dirt.)

Think Pink- shade is like a lighter version of G3 Frilly Frocks strong pink stripe, no match though but considering that its like Restoredolls hair its not that surprising…

Oceana-no match

Fushia twist-no match

Offline coinoperatedgirl

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I paint stuff.
    • View Profile
    • Coin-Operated Customs
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 06:10:43 AM »
Having not used the site before, I'm not sure what she was doing with Paypal in the past, but it's definitely working now, just not from the shopping cart.  Paypal is, however, available as a payment method from the current shopping cart.

Offline Buffy

• Trade Count: (+192)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • Buffys Paradise
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 12:22:32 PM »
You can pay with paypal, but not directly ;-) Tina is using a service called 2Checkout.com and there you can pay with paypal. I think she will get the money from this service and not from paypal :-)

Offline Sakuyamon

• artist for hire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 09:00:22 AM »
Ah thats good, I was worried on how to get certain shades.

Perhaps someone should add Retro dolls to the hair supply list? Im sure its good to have.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal