collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: eBay advice for a newbie  (Read 2844 times)

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
eBay advice for a newbie
« on: January 26, 2012, 03:53:07 AM »
I made an eBay account a while back with the sole intent of purchasing one item. I ended up loosing the item and the others I bid on, so I have no feedback. But I'd like to sell some handmade FiM figures and I imagine eBay would get me the most money. I desperately need money to even a little bit of extra from eBay would be a HUGE help, even if its just an extra dollar or two. This means I can't buy items to get at least a little feedback either.

Would having zero feedback impact me so negatively I shouldn't even bother trying to sell things there? I don't have any plans to use eBay for more than handmade FiM stuff, and I don't know how long I plan to even make FiM stuff to list (it will depend on how it sells).

If it helps, this is the item I'm planning to list. Her starting bid would probably be $2.
(Also as a side note I know it says in her description she was for a gift exchange, but my partner was international and gave me an incomplete/wrong address so she was returned. My partner never answered my multiple messages about it so I've decided its time to find her a home.)

And if I do end up listing her, what should be in the description? Obviously some photos, but what kind of info should be included? I don't even look at eBay so I have no idea what I should include.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline cobalte

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
Re: eBay advice for a newbie
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 07:33:09 AM »
First thing to note is that if you have low or no selling feedback, eBay will hold your money for a maximum of 21 days, including postage... so if you want the money quick, it might not be your best option

I'll leave the rest for the more seasoned traders :P

Evening_Moonstone

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 10:17:46 AM »
I started off selling just this past fall.  A few observations:
- once you get a bunch of selling feedback, you get the money immediately
- once a buyer leaves you feedback, you get the money right away (if you're a new seller)

Offline Sarahlacewing

• Mommy sparkle pony
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 05:00:41 PM »
The biggest thing about Ebay is you are going to lose money in fees.  If your items don't sell you will still have to pay the listing fee usually.  Then if you accept paypal they also charge a handling fee.  It's important to get tracking for things shipping so you can prove you sent them.  I think you could start selling but it would be slow at first because they hold the funds for a few weeks. I'd rather sell directly here or in a storefront to avoid the fees.  Also Ebay favors buyer big time so if there are complications you are likely to get the short end of the situation.  I do sell on ebay and you will get more money that way sometimes.  My advice is start small and also take commission and look for work here or on the trading post.
I'm not really on here anymore. Email me if you need my for something.

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 06:12:42 PM »
Firstly I wouldnt worry about not having any selling feedback - I dont think people are too worried about buying from someone who is new since ebay almost always sides with buyers if there are any issues :awake:  But as has been mentioned already you'll need to keep in mind the ebay and paypal fees, as well as a possible delay on getting your funds while you are new. Ebay is good for getting a higher price sometimes, but if your item doesnt sell you still have to pay listing fees, and if it does sell but not for very high you may lose profit due to the listing fees, final valuation fees, and paypal fees (about 20% altogether of the items sale price). these are things to keep in mind :relaxed: 
as regards what you should say in the description, be as clear and detailed as possible. Pretend that your potential buyers know nothing about this item and describe everything -including how it was made/what it is made from , that its a custom item by you, any minor flaws due to it being handmade , whether you smoke or have pets etc ;) . You can upload one pic to ebay for free, but if you want to put more pics on there they will charge you. Be clear about shipping costs and decide if you want to sell internationally or not .
Hope that helps a bit  :satisfied:

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 03:06:29 AM »
Thanks for the advice guys. :) I think I won't even bother with eBay after all, lol. I've never heard good things about it and it just sounds like a big headache even if I don't need the money immediately (I need to save up so I can move for my health and sanity XP). I'll probably just shove Applejack along in a package if I get any commissions or something if she doesn't sell elsewhere.

Offline dollhands

• Trade Count: (+66)
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Collection
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 04:38:05 AM »
Yeah I would just sell them here. :)

She's very cute btw ^^
=^x^=
~*~*~Wishlist~*~*~

Evening_Moonstone

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 06:32:10 AM »
Another note about listing fees:
Ebay is now allowing sellers to list up to 50 items per month for free, no listing fees.  You only pay closing costs if it sells.

If you want to list hundreds of things, they do one or two days a month where you can list unlimited items for free.

It was a really nice feature for me, since I sell some things but not tons.

Offline Radiance

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 12:51:05 PM »
Since you're selling handmade items, you may want to check out etsy.com. I've never sold on that site so I don't know what the fees are like, but it may be worth looking into =)
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=366243.new#new

my want list, looking for unicorns!

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 12:58:21 PM »
I looked into Etsy before but I don't have money to pay listing fees or a credit card. Not sure if the rules have changed but that's what was required when I looked into signing up.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal