collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Calling all New Zealanders (and biologists)! Need some help w/ research :)  (Read 3348 times)

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
So, i´m doing a major project in Conservation Biology as part of my Master's and I would really appreciate your help :)
Namely, I have chosen to focus my conservation research on the Katipo Spider (Latrodectus katipo) that is endemic to New Zealand and I would love to hear your opinions on this species.
One of the main reasons I decided to focus on Katipo is that I want to examine the conservation status of an invertebrate as they are usually overlooked due to them not exactly being loveable. However, I did read in research papers that Katipo is considered to be somewhat of a symbol of invertebrate conservation in New Zealand and I am mainly interested to know to what degree this is correct. So some things I´d like to know ^^

Do you know of this species?
Are you aware that it is endangered?
How do you feel about the species?
Do you think it's worth saving?
Do you feel that the state is committed to the cause of preserving this species?
Have you ever seen a Katipo in person?
anything else you'd like to add?

Any answer would be highly appreciated as I don't know any New Zealanders personally and I am reluctant to rely simply on things I read online and would much prefer to get some insight directly from the people :)

Thanks for reading :)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 07:54:36 PM by Vintergatan »
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Offline nhal039

• Trade Count: (+171)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
what uni are u studying at? Auckland?

As for the spider questions

Heard of it,Never seen it
Yes I think its worth saving all endemic species are although I think the general concesis would be everyone would prefer money to go into saving the bigger species (maui dolphin and kakapo etc) and not to saving spiders as people dont like spiders : (
I am sure most new zealanders know of these spider but very little would have seen them or no anything about there biology

You should contact member 'endocat' she works with bugs here, not the spider thou but she might have a better perspective : )

Offline Vintergatan

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Thanks for your input!

I am studying at the university of Iceland which is why I have no hands on info on this :) But I just found it too fascinating to let that stop me, and then there's always you, wonderful people here ^^
also, thanks for recommending endocat, let's see if she answers here, if not, I´ll PM her :)
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Offline silverskimmer

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
Do you know of this species?
Yup, they're like a myth at our beach ahah
Are you aware that it is endangered?
Yeah, I've seen a few things about them
How do you feel about the species?
I used to think they were made up to stop kids running off into the sandhills. We were told they were deadly of something XD I'm quite indifferent to spiders, so I don't mind them.
Do you think it's worth saving?
I think everything is worth saving
Do you feel that the state is committed to the cause of preserving this species?
Not the state, but I know some smaller places are
Have you ever seen a Katipo in person?
Nope, but I know how to find them

I'd say the Weta would be more seen as the over all 'save the little guys' symbol
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Silver Skimmer Ref
Wish list
Looking for any and all wingers! Especially baity ones in need of love!

Offline nhal039

• Trade Count: (+171)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Oh well I can help ya out a bit as well, i have my degree in bio, I specialized in ecology and conservation but was focused more on the marine side of things. I can forward on the names of some researchers that might help you out : ) I will forward them to you (I studied at auckland)

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
This sounds fascinating! Good luck with your research!

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline foalpatrol

• Hello, Clarice
  • Trade Count: (+42)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
Do you know of this species?  Yes
 Are you aware that it is endangered?  No
 How do you feel about the species? I don't think much of spiders in general
 Do you think it's worth saving?  Not if it's going to cost a lot, I think my taxes could be better spent elsewhere
 Do you feel that the state is committed to the cause of preserving this species? No
 Have you ever seen a Katipo in person?  No
 anything else you'd like to add?  Good luck with your research!

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Do you know of this species? Yep
Are you aware that it is endangered? No, but I'm not surprised!
How do you feel about the species? Well, I wouldn't like to be bitten by one! To my knowledge, they are notorious as NZ's most venomous spider. I think most kids get grilled at some point during their education not to get too curious with driftwood at certain beaches. Which beaches, I can't really recall!
Do you think it's worth saving? I think any indigenous species is worth saving - even a tiny, nipper of a spider! Once they're gone, they can't be replaced, something I think so many people are grossly ignorant of.
Do you feel that the state is committed to the cause of preserving this species? I'm sure some government dept. is, though I can't say I have seen any obvious information about the spider like you do the kiwi or kakapo for example.
Have you ever seen a Katipo in person? Yes, they are common in Museum/wildlife exhibits. They are teeny little things.
anything else you'd like to add? Good luck with your research. Maybe see if you can visit any DOC (department of conservation) websites from NZ; they're bound to have some info on conservation projects concerning Katipos. I'd be very surprised if they didn't! :)

Offline Endocat

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
LOL, here I am!  I work with Biocontrol agents (insects)  LOVE THEM!  (and yes, I've been called weird). 

I do know Katipo, but I didn't know Katipo was endangered (I thought it was on the threatened list though).  I prefer those with 6 legs than 8, but think is a worthy species to protect.  I feel NZ puts far more effort into the 'soft fluffy' endangered species than the likes of spiders.  I've never seen a katipo in person. Personally I think to save a species like this we need to look first at the larger picture - its habitat and why it has population decline. 

All the best with your studies!

Most Wanted: retro release Starshine

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
Oh wow!

Im not from aroun that area, so ic ant help you out with your questions, but it does sound interesting...and im not a spider person xD

Goodluck <3

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Vintergatan

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Calling all New Zealanders (and biologists)! Need some help w/ research :)
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2012, 05:55:20 AM »
Thank you so much everyone! You have been incredibly helpful ^^ and thanks for all the good wishes :) I´ll let you know if I have any more questions!
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Offline GazeboMouse

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2012, 11:32:11 PM »
Any thread that highlights threatened New Zealand wildlife is great!
Wanted to go there my whole life, and I want to make sure the indigenous wildlife is still there by the time we've saved up!
SAVE THE KATIPO! SAVE THE TUATARA! SAVE THE WETA! SAVE ALL OTHER OBSCURE CREATURES!
Please let us know how your research goes and what response you get.

Offline Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2012, 02:14:45 AM »
Do you know of this species? I do indeed!
Are you aware that it is endangered? I wasn't but I'm not surprised!
How do you feel about the species? I wouldn't want to share a bed with it!
Do you think it's worth saving? Absolutely!
Do you feel that the state is committed to the cause of preserving this species? Its unlikely considering how many other animals need saving here.
Have you ever seen a Katipo in person? Only behind glass.
Good luck honey!

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal