collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Help from bjd owners (new questions on page three)  (Read 17815 times)

Knibitz

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Help from bjd owners
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2012, 11:59:40 PM »
LOL XD GOGOGOGOGO!!!

Wig wise I have a few places that are my go to. I often buy my wigs second hand though (I get them for about 8$-20$ off retail, for ~25-30$ wigs)

Leekeworld has some spectacular wigs and a wide variety of colors and styles.
Supia SD girls actually fit 7/8 size wigs better than 8/9 (what standard SD's wear)

The blonde wig in my photos is a 7/8 leekeworld wig and fit her like a glove, the brown one is an 8/9 that is smaller than the usual 8/9 but sat ok on her head, it just didn't grip it (most "fiber" wigs you will find have an elastic wig cap that will grip the dolls head and hold it on)

there is a US retailer of leekworld (aka "Leeke") wigs: denverdoll - http://www.denverdoll.com/wigs.php

Monique wigs are fantastic and have very very fine fibers that allow for better styling at times because they will allow you to pull hair more naturally than normal fibers will.  http://monique.com/wig01.html (the link directly to their wigs page)

I've ordered from them before and it was all fine :)
the brown wig in the other photo of my supia is a monique wig (style is either paris or faith?)

one place that isn't too popular for BJD wigs is CanCan.http://www.cancan-jseries.net/index.php?cPath=29

They're a bit different to order from (they don't really have a check out system, you just kinda shoot emails)
I've also ordered from them, and everything was fine.

Cancan wigs are fantastic! the fibers can be a bit stiff, but they are gorgeous wigs and I've loved every one I've owned.
My soony currently wears a cancan wig that was originally bought back in like... 2007, and it's still holding up!

oAo so much love for this wig
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

ebay and etsy are also great places to look for wigs too.
There are some fantastic sellers of mohair wigs on etsy.
and like I'd said before, Sunny's Wonderful World on ebay makes super cheap plain fur wigs (in tons of colors) that are about 10$ shipped and I love them XD I have...6 of their wigs right now... I think.

You can also make fur wigs for super cheap, it's not really that encouraged, but some fabric companies on line that sell "high pile long fur" (what fur wigs are made from) sell swatches for a dollar each, and it only takes 2 or 3 swatches to make a wig for an SD sized doll.
 :X there's actually one site that has a coupon for first time buyers for 5 free swatches, and swatches always ship free... so you get fur for free.
But because it's really not encouraged to abuse that, I don't really feel comfortable saying where that is.

Offline okapishomapi

• Programming Pony
  • Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • NERD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2012, 08:46:48 AM »
So Knibitz, how do I find out what size wig and eyes to get? I've done some Googling and haven't come up with anything for sure (and of course I don't want to buy anything until I know!). Do I just wait for her to get here and then measure her? I can't even find the conversion between centimeters and wig sizes..I feel like such a noob :silly:

*ALL HAIL QUEEN OF BJDS*

edit: This is the girl I've picked out - she's going to be a reward to myself for good grades this quarter, if I can manage it :D [size=78%]http://www.resinsoul.com/05-chanpin/p-001-1.asp?id=408[/size]
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 08:49:26 AM by okapishomapi »

Thank you, taxel and Antlercat!
Okapi's Want List ~ Fishmeal Ref ~ Shomapi Ref

Offline Shaiyeh

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+78)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2012, 09:02:33 AM »
I want to echo what Knibz said about BBB/RS, to a certain extent.
I have a BBB boy, and have been "defending" (as you may remember, Knibz ;D) him rather wildly over the past years.

I LOVE, love, love his face. But seriously, his body...
He's on the old type of BBB body (basicaly RS is the same thing), and posing? No. If there's one person who doesn't believe in posing, it's Dougall.
No matter how he's stringed and wired and whatnot.

BBB recently released a double-jointed body that is actually kindof good-looking
http://www.junkyspot.com/IMAGES/BOBOBIE/gang02022011_3.jpg
http://www.junkyspot.com/IMAGES/BOBOBIE/gang02022011_1.jpg
and also it's a bit more proportionate.
(but wat is up with BBB and short arms! I dunno, they just seem unnatural to me. Perhaps it's because teh head is slightly too big?)
And well, it seems to do the job better.

However, I wouldn't recommend buying a BBB/RS body. if you fall in love with a face sculpt, go for the head, but do try to find another body if you want a nice body to photograph and pose around.
All poor Dougall does is sitting around. Because that's what he can do. :<

So, my suggestion to Okapishomapi, when it comes to the doll you've picked out, is that if you want that head, go for it, and try to find a SOOM body (for example) with hooves instead, as I doubt she's going to pose very well.

Also, wigs.
Sunny's has lovely wigs :D They won't stay on the head on their own, tho, so you will need velcro.

I bought a nice wig for Shai from eBay. just type "BJD wig" + if you want a YoSD, MSD, SD wig etc.
Etsy is a great place to find mohair wigs.

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Offline Radiance

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2012, 12:21:16 PM »
Gotta echo what others have said about BBB/RS posing ability, it's not that great. Should you choose to go the RS route (and who could blame you if you did, their sculpts are so sweet!) be prepared to restring and suede right out of the box to even get your doll to sit up on her own. I had to do that to my RS Dan and my BBB Sprite. The elastic used by RS/BBB is way too thin and weak to have the tension needed to support the weight of the resin, and the dolls are super floppy out of the box.

For RS Yao, you'll need a size 6/7 wig and 12-14mm eyes I believe. She's considered a slim mini so keep that in mind when clothes shopping or looking at patterns. Also keep in mind if you choose to blush her hooves be prepared for constant touch ups. The blushing will chip, there's just no way around it.

As for wigs and such, I have a crap ton of BJD clothes/wigs/shoes/eyes that I'm too lazy to list for sale on DOA. Shoot me a PM with what you're looking for and if I have something you like you can have it for the price of postage.
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=366243.new#new

my want list, looking for unicorns!

Knibitz

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2012, 01:08:07 PM »
Doll sizes are categorized by:

Tiny
YOSD
MSD
SD
70+

Tiny's vary and can wear anything from 3-4 wigs to 6/7
YOSD are going to be most commonly 6/7 wigs
MSD's are either 6/7 or 7/8
SD are most of the time 8/9 or 9/10, but with a lot of the more realistic dolls like Supiadollz and the dollmore Zaoll girls (luv, ramie, etc) they fit in 7/8 wigs
70cm+ is also usually 8/9 or 9/10

for both wig and eye size, take a look at the sales page for the doll you're looking at.

For example, with Iplehouse Ryushin: http://www.iplehouse.net/shop/step1.php?number=778

you'll see this chunk of info
"- Head type : Ryushin
- Tall : 63cm
- Hand parts : Basic hands
- Eyeball : 14mm, Acrylic eye (random)
- Carrying bag (Cotton coverlet is included.)
- Tension line, S type hook and extra magnets
- Certification"

his eye size is 14mm :) so that's what you'll shop for

wig wise, with iplehouse, they don't list the wig size on the page.
but if you go to their wig sales section, it's divided up by doll size, according to their menu: " 8~9 inch (Y.I.D& E.I.D Woman)"
Ryushin, being a YID sized doll, wears an 8/9 wig :)

so you just look around the product page and see what it says :)
sometimes you can go down or up in the sizes a size and it will be ok.

like delf soony is recomended to have a 9/10 wig and 20mm eyes. Mine wears a 8/9 cancan wig and (used to wear) 18mm eyes.

side note: don't let the YID, SID, EID etc confuse you. IT's just the company specific way of dividing the sizes.
a YID is an SD sized doll, a JID is an MSD, BID is YOSD... SID is a bigger SD, and EID is a 70cm. Those sizes are a bit specific to iplehouse, but there are some things from other companies that will fit them.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 01:11:47 PM by Knibitz »

Offline WeepingPiano

• Medieval Merpony
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2012, 09:46:02 PM »
I have fallen for the looks of two Iplehouse dolls, but I wish they were smaller. I love the proportions and the adult age looking faces (and the realistic proportioned bodies, though I suppose if they are wearing clothes, it won't matter how awesome the abs are) but two feet tall is huge! Any chance I can find a similarly proportioned doll in the 7" range? Or is that just ridiculous?

Knibitz

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2012, 09:59:05 PM »
I have fallen for the looks of two Iplehouse dolls, but I wish they were smaller. I love the proportions and the adult age looking faces (and the realistic proportioned bodies, though I suppose if they are wearing clothes, it won't matter how awesome the abs are) but two feet tall is huge! Any chance I can find a similarly proportioned doll in the 7" range? Or is that just ridiculous?

unfortunately that doesn't really exsist...
The smallest adult proportioned dolls I know of are all between 45-30cm:

Fairylands Chicline dolls
Sooms Minigem
orientdoll-dae (carried on leekeworld's website)

Offline WeepingPiano

• Medieval Merpony
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2012, 10:06:21 PM »
I have (potentially) bad news for you Knibitz. I am not sure you'll be getting rid of me anytime soon XD

Knibitz

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2012, 10:07:46 PM »
I have (potentially) bad news for you Knibitz. I am not sure you'll be getting rid of me anytime soon XD

no this is awesome XD

You've actually inspired a HUGE project that I'm taking on with a team of doll friends :D
not going to say much about it since it's just buzz right now that we're talking about, BUT!  you may soon have a good go to place for all bjd basics ;3;

Offline WeepingPiano

• Medieval Merpony
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2012, 10:25:03 PM »

no this is awesome XD

You've actually inspired a HUGE project that I'm taking on with a team of doll friends :D
not going to say much about it since it's just buzz right now that we're talking about, BUT!  you may soon have a good go to place for all bjd basics ;3;
*buckles in for the ride* This sounds exciting and promising! Ooh! those orientdoll-daes look like a very promising option! Thank you. *peruses site* Hmm... I know this is going to sound ludicrous, but for the character I am trying to make, I think the female orientdoll body is too well endowed. hmmm...
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 11:42:41 PM by WeepingPiano »

Offline juliepinetree

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2012, 06:03:22 AM »
I would suggest checking out Den Of Angels which is a BJD forum.  There is a thread for meet ups, and you look for the one in your area.  That way you can meet people with dolls and see first hand what they are like.  It can really help you know what you want.  For instance you might change your mind on size if you hold a SD (Large one), and say wow he is really heavy.  Or he might be just right!  But yea, meeting other doll owners really helps in this!  Good luck!

Knibitz

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2012, 08:03:08 AM »
I would suggest checking out Den Of Angels which is a BJD forum.  There is a thread for meet ups, and you look for the one in your area.  That way you can meet people with dolls and see first hand what they are like.  It can really help you know what you want.  For instance you might change your mind on size if you hold a SD (Large one), and say wow he is really heavy.  Or he might be just right!  But yea, meeting other doll owners really helps in this!  Good luck!

DoA registration is currently closed till further notice ^^;

Offline juliepinetree

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2012, 08:10:25 AM »
Knibitz:  True, but can't you just check meet ups without being a member?   I thought we could. 

Knibitz

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2012, 09:46:38 AM »
Knibitz:  True, but can't you just check meet ups without being a member?   I thought we could. 

I thought all you can see is marketplace feedback and news....

edit: yeah, all that shows up for me when I'm logged out is all the intro to DoA stuff, News, General Discussion, and then the feedback related sections of the marketplace
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 09:48:44 AM by Knibitz »

Offline Radiance

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2012, 12:10:54 PM »
When I first got into BJDs I wished you could rent them! Just to see how you liked different sizes and such, 'cause the BJD community in my area is virtually non-existent. Hmmm... wonder if there is a market for a Rent-A-Doll service...

Notdoll Lab carries Roxy Dolls, which are tiny (about 18cm) BJDs that are somewhat mature.
http://notdolllab.com/shop/step_submain.php?b_code=B20060613030512
The faces look somewhat child like on most of them, at least to me, but you'd be amazed what a face-up can do to alter the look of a doll. The problem with these little ones is it can be difficult to find clothing for them, but if you're handy with a needle you can make all kinds of awesome outfits out of scraps.
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=366243.new#new

my want list, looking for unicorns!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal