collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Musing & Pondering: What would you do with a huge collection?  (Read 7965 times)

Offline rtattles

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+39)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Rtattles' Blog
Musing & Pondering: What would you do with a huge collection?
« on: January 25, 2012, 08:22:13 AM »
Hey all,
Like a lot of people my age, I've grown up, have a job, less money, less time and less space. I've amassed a handsome collection over the years, it may not be the largest, but it can be considered massive by most standards. The thing is I have tried to down-size, but I find that I have problems letting go. Also, the market is depressing to look at currently, so I am asking all you smart entrepreneurs out there to help me think -if you have over 2000 ponies, what do you think you can do with them other than storing them at home or selling them off in broken pieces?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Inventorising my collection @ http://rtattles.wordpress.com/
Formerly known as DebonaireThundercloud

Offline saply

• Stupid Newbie
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+138)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • my star barrettes are FABULOUS
    • View Profile
    • ~*~tumblr~**~
Re: Musing & Pondering: What would you do with a huge collection?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 09:06:56 AM »
Keep them in a large vault and swim in them a la Scrooge McDuck.

Offline tehrin

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 09:19:43 AM »
Make a pony museum display! All the money you earn from people coming in to look at your museum will further your pony collecting, and therefore allow you to buy more ponies. :3

On a more serious note, I'd probably find some creative way to display them... somehow.

(also click for my sales here. :3)

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 09:32:11 AM »
LOL @ Saply!

I´m in no way in possession of a collection that huge but what you may do is maybe trade off a few ponies for one more valuable/rare one? or something along those lines :) That way the value of your collection might stay the same with fewer physical ponies ^^
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Offline rtattles

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+39)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Rtattles' Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 10:21:41 AM »
LOL @ Saply!

I´m in no way in possession of a collection that huge but what you may do is maybe trade off a few ponies for one more valuable/rare one? or something along those lines :) That way the value of your collection might stay the same with fewer physical ponies ^^

Haha I wouldn't have any problems if I owned a vault. Well, I more or less have most of the htf or so-called rares that I want in my collection, so there is nothing much to trade for. I did wonder about  a pony museum, most of those don't survive for long in my country. I don't really want to liquidate my ponies since I have no intention of getting out of collecting.  My friend and I did discuss once about a MLP Cafe and how feasible that might be, however, we just can't think out of the box for a way to host the ponies creatively while hungry people barge in and trample over your little shop. lol

Inventorising my collection @ http://rtattles.wordpress.com/
Formerly known as DebonaireThundercloud

Offline michelle53

• Winger Fanatic!!
  • Trade Count: (+166)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Official Winger Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 10:54:15 AM »
Amazing.  That was exactly what I thought too. 

Thank you Behemoth for my beautiful siggy!
HEY [you]! CHECK OUT MY EBAY SALES!!
http://www.ebay.com/usr/momlilyaria?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Offline lunar_scythe

• factory error Blue Belle
  • Gold Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+84)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 11:16:25 AM »

Sometimes you can find a museum you can lend large collections to, as a display, and some libraries have areas they will allow displays to be set up for a certain amount of time, at least here!

As far as creative display ideas for a cafe, how about glass shelves up high around the whole room, and displays in the center?  Or a glass display for a counter with ponies displayed inside on glass shelves, or even tables with locking glass boxes full of ponies as centerpieces? :)  You could rotate which ones are out to keep things interesting!
My Army of Bluebelles (New pic coming sooner or later)

Offline Scraleos

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 11:46:04 AM »
I really like the idea of a MLP cafe. It would do very well, depending on where you put it.

Trade | Wanted | Pony Plushies

Offline SweetTune

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Fair
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 12:13:09 PM »
LOL @ Saply!

Haha I wouldn't have any problems if I owned a vault. Well, I more or less have most of the htf or so-called rares that I want in my collection, so there is nothing much to trade for. I did wonder about  a pony museum, most of those don't survive for long in my country. I don't really want to liquidate my ponies since I have no intention of getting out of collecting.  My friend and I did discuss once about a MLP Cafe and how feasible that might be, however, we just can't think out of the box for a way to host the ponies creatively while hungry people barge in and trample over your little shop. lol

Get out of my head goldenclopper! lol! I've always wanted to open a cafe or coffee bar or ice cream shop and display my ponies there. It has always been my "If I ever end up with a large unexpected amount of money via the lottery or something else very unlikely" plan. :)

Offline Sakuyamon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • artist for hire
    • View Profile
    • http://Sakuyamon.deviantart.com
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 12:19:22 PM »
I would love to have a MLP Museum. Actually once I concidered to make one, I mean they got a barbie museum so why not? but it fell on that I probably dont have enought ponies ( even though I have like 200-300 now) and that noone would probably visit it.

Other than that, I dunno what to do with any collection other than to look at it and enjoy it...

Offline Varkolak

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Mimic <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 12:29:50 PM »
i like the cafe idea. you could display them in cases and in the counter and up high on the walls in shadow boxes or something so people won't touch them or anything. i bet a lot of people would go visit it from around the world. i mean, there's enough pony collectors out there, right?!
and you could have a tv in the shop to watch my little pony during the day when it comes on tv! lol
it would be one of those cute cafe's that people would want to go visit, even if they weren't pony collectors, and might even inspire some to start collecting once they see what all the fuss is about. i know people go insane for cute little shops and stuff like that in japan, america has been wanting something cute like that for quite a while now, so i think it'd be a hit! japan has all the adorable things -_- even their fast food toys are cuter than ours.

edit: i just saw you're from australia! lol i think it'd be a hit there too!!!! same as what i said above, minus the america bit. cute sells. people love cute and cute themed things. i think it'd be a great idea all around.

Offline SourdoughStomper

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • grain free and pain free
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 01:57:43 PM »
I don't know what I'd do. I'm not a "big collection" kind of gal. Probably prioritize to keep the ones I really want and sell the rest.
 Credit to Shaiyeh for avatar.

Offline Ginger

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • TE Bright Eyes Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 02:59:20 PM »
Some of these are really fun ideas!! Realistically, if I had that many ponies to deal with at once and I wanted to keep them all, I'd convert my walk-in closet into a mini-pony room lol. I could just buy a wardrobe to keep my clothes and stuff in.

Wanted | Flickr | Tumblr | PonyDex

Offline shabbychicdee

• Trade Count: (+85)
  • MOC Mimic
  • professional thrifter and treasure hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 03:50:02 PM »
hey goldenclopper i have the exact promblem and iv tryed to get rid of as much as pos but i cant go any further so iv almost stopped buying the vintage ones and it is sad for the market to resell.

cos my g4 are so small they are allowed out every now and then on display in my bedroom but everything else is boxed and i hate it but i have no room,
try and be patent like me and hope that one day we might have a pony room.
all my 200+ g1 are in underbed rolly bins :( it seems like such a waste but fingers crossed they will come out one day as i just dont have the heart to get rid of them.
oh if i wait till my kids leave home i would go insane lol that would be like 15yrs or so

btw all my accessories are in fancy boxes which are on display but safe from little fingers and all my playsets are stored in a cupboard and all my g3 ponyville are on display in my little girls room. thats how i cope with a large collection with limited space :)

seeking retro MLP and Care Bear tin lunch boxes
wanted list
for trade

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 04:07:56 PM »

:lol:
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal