collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Job market is really that tough?  (Read 12220 times)

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
Re: Job market is really that tough?
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2012, 04:04:18 AM »
It's sad that it's so bad out there :( Thankfully hubby's future career (once finished school) looks pretty stable, but he'll still have to get a job, and hopefully a decent one that he likes. Getting a job that you absolutely hate can be just as bad as no job.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

Rocketeer

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2012, 04:58:42 AM »
I got lucky, but I took a job that I was overqualified for. It is in my field though, and it mostly pays our bills, so we're doing /okay/ right now.

Offline Roccoriel

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2012, 05:44:00 AM »
It's awful.  I worked a year or two ago at a temp agency front desk while I did my Masters.  I took resumes from people looking for a job.  We seriously only staffed admin/receptionist/secretary jobs and we had PhDs and surgeons trying to get jobs with us because they couldn't find a job elsewhere.  Seriously, people who could normally make 60-100K+ a year trying for a temporary, part-time admin job at $10/hour.  It was really, really depressing.

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2012, 06:09:53 AM »
McDonalds put out an ad for one position in my city and got over 700 applications the very first day it was out. I went to look for a job in a clothingstore, they said they were in fact hiring, but had gotten over 400 applications when I turned mine in. The jobmarket is insane and living in a collegetown makes it worse because most places hiring want students because they're cheap and can work cray hours. One store that was hiring just wanted a person who could cover the lunches two hours every Saturday.

I've not been unemployed long enough to be desperate, but it's not the workers market right now and even if my experiences are retail, I've been high enough in rank to be looked over on the simplest jobs. It sucks, because I get crazy just sitting at home.

creampuf

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2012, 08:11:49 AM »
It's really a global problem...which is sad. The world is melting down and people are hurting.

My best wishes for anyone trying to find work. It's hard out there but maybe lady luck will give you a hug and lead you somewhere.

Offline StarDapple

• Scribbles Pony
  • Bah Weep Graaagnah Wheep Ni Ni Bong!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2012, 09:29:15 AM »
The poor job market is what finally prompted me to get into college.  When I graduated high school I thought "I'll get a part time job and try to set up a horse training business as I go."  Well, there were no part time jobs to be had, I trained a couple of horses over a couple of summers, but those quickly dried up too as people had to cut back to make ends meet.  If I wasn't still living at home, I don't know what I would have done.  So this fall I am getting into college so I can have my own veterinary business.  Seems like the only option open to me now.

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2012, 11:01:54 AM »
Definately.

Its worse when someone that is overqualified cant get work in their field and is turned down elsewhere because they are overqualified.  ive seen it from both ends--the economy is brutal :(

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Scraleos

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2012, 12:51:37 PM »
I've already given up looking for a job because I got a D in maths and english GCSE's. I hope to open up my own vintage video game shop, but everybody is putting me down, saying that I can't do it...

Trade | Wanted | Pony Plushies

creampuf

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2012, 01:07:48 PM »
I've already given up looking for a job because I got a D in maths and english GCSE's. I hope to open up my own vintage video game shop, but everybody is putting me down, saying that I can't do it...

than you need to tell those people to stick it where the sun don't shine!

You can do whatever you want as long as you put everything you got into it.

Offline Scraleos

• Trade Count: (+35)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2012, 01:11:16 PM »

than you need to tell those people to stick it where the sun don't shine!

You can do whatever you want as long as you put everything you got into it.

Thank you Creampuf! I'll try my best :)

Trade | Wanted | Pony Plushies

Offline RavenWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2012, 05:14:07 PM »

I hope you are able to open your vintage game shop! Vintage games and systems are really sought after but increasingly hard to find as the majority of chain game stores like Games stop don't carry any of the older games.

Back on topic, The job situation where I live is truly horrible, especially since the GM plant shut down. My friends husband has been out of work since. He had worked there for 25 years!!! He can't find a job because he has no other experience combined with his age no one will hire him :(

Boldly going where no pony has gone before...

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2012, 07:40:55 PM »

People who trample on your hopes and dreams like that are low. I've had some of my family members tell me in the that past that I couldn't do certain things and I sometimes blame them for not pursing certain interests more. I don't think they meant to hurt but sometimes it still hurts anyways. When other people have no hope in you then it's hard to have it in yourself.

I feel bad complaining about how I dislike my current job when lots of members here don't even have a job. I am fortunate to have employment. But I can see how horrible the job market is when they didn't even consider a current employee for an interview with as many transfer requests as I put in. Probably lots of overqualified people went for those jobs.
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Offline Varkolak

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Mimic <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2012, 09:58:35 PM »
jobs are really hard to come by, and if there are any openings, they usually go to people the person hiring, knows personally.
i only get 4-8 hours a week now at my job. went from a $200-$160 paycheck, to a $27 paycheck this week from hour cuts. i have to live off partial unemployment for the time being, because not even walmart here is hiring. :(

Offline BridgetsMum

• Queen of Pink Bottoms!
  • Trade Count: (+210)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
    • http://julies.mlparena.com
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2012, 11:26:41 PM »
Wow. It does look dismal. I hope things take a turn for the better for all you looking for a job.

At our schools most of the staff has been there for 10+ years. We don't get much turnover. I value each one of them. It's so depressing doing interviews. So many good candidates. I try my best to place the ones that are qualified, especially if I can tell they really need the job. I also keep resumes and call people at a future date. 
Line up for Arena Anniversary Spankies!

Offline ponybabe

• Trade Count: (+4)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2012, 01:32:15 AM »
I'm one of those 'over qualified' people.
Been looking for a decent job for over two years. I was out of work for 18 months.
Still haven't got the job I studied for. College and University, all that time and money for nothing.
*le sigh*
Same here, I have a Masters in Biotechnology and from 2007 until 2009 applied for hundreds of jobs (even work in a pharmacy) but no one wanted to hire a newly educated engineer :redface: I got sick of it and took a Lab Tech degree and the 1 year and 3 month experience I got as a trainee seems to count for nothing. Either I don't have enough experience, don't have the right experience (have chemistry experience when they want biotech experience) or I'm too over qualified to work as a Lab Tech with a Master's Degree :stressed: It's very frusterating and upsetting because I'm feeling the way you do Rainbowjuice :cloud:
I've pretty much given up on finding a job with my Master's Degree but am still hoping for a Lab Tech job :drunk:  I got into a temp agency as soon as my 3 month extension was over so she's working hard to find me something :work: I really hope something comes up soon :hope:

Many thanks to Nence for my adorable sig with my cat Chani in it and Btd for my lovely avatar!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal