collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: I just melted a pony in the oven!!! :(  (Read 15799 times)

Offline fingerpaints

• Makin' a mess pony
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • manahmanah :D
    • View Profile
Re: I just melted a pony in the oven!!! :(
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2012, 04:51:58 PM »
This happens to the best of us - working with sculptey + pony can result in a blob on your oven tray at times :(

You may still be able to find a loving home for her as is ;)

Offline butterflybuttons

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Feeling the G2 love
    • View Profile
    • My outdated DA
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2012, 05:00:36 PM »
I had pony melt in a gas oven, not that bad cause I was sitting in front of the oven watching the whole time. I refuse to use gas ovens for ponies now :silly:

Offline Dusky

• Trade Count: (+134)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Clockwork Firebird Designs
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2012, 05:15:17 PM »
Ddddiiiiiiidddd someone mention a BBE Zombie? I think I heard BBE Zombie... if she needs a home rather than the trash I'll aim shipping money to you and have a go at a total sculpt-over on her. She could still be something.

Melty ponies and customising mistakes happen, don't let it put you off! I'd suggest the problem is your gas stove, try a lower temperature than the pack says next time  and see what happens.

xx

Offline kayveryn

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2012, 05:16:40 PM »
i would kinda think that the metal in her eyes would cause a problem, so was a bit surprised it was her feet...=]  is it horrible that i want to do this on purpose just to have a 'puddle pony'? (definitely outside in my toaster oven, tho...lol)

kayveryn

Offline Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2012, 05:23:07 PM »
If you're feeling a bit adventurous in the future with Sculpey, and you don't want to risk your pony, here's a couple of ideas that might help:
Make a reverse mould of your pony's head.  This would be especially easy to do with no hair left for mane or forelock.  Simply press clay around the pony's head and use tin foil on the outside for support.  Bake this indented clay within the tinfoil to create your own pony head mould for casting.
Once it is baked and cool, gently rub this with vasoline or use Pam cooking spray to line your mould.  Make certain you coat all surfaces within it so that you can easily remove the forms you cast.  Refill the mould impression with clay  (best to use a different color for the head you are casting).  You can then rebake mould and head or remove the newly casted head and bake that- but use more tinfoil for support.
With your now-baked clay pony head mannequin model - you can now sculpt and bake manes, forelocks, hats, decorations and rebake that clay head as many times as you like.  It's not going to do anything but darken in color and smell like baked clay each time you rebake it.  Use gorilla glue or super glue to attach your baked sculpey forelocks/ manes/ decor to the plastic pony bodies. 

« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 05:27:02 PM by Sugarberry »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline MoonStars

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2012, 05:33:33 PM »
I'm so sad but i guess the only thing i CAN do is throw her away... sad day.

Nooooooo! You can make a spooky custom for Halloween. She's creepy enough already all you have to do is find a theme. :D

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2012, 05:51:19 PM »
Poor gal. A puddle baby is definitely in order.
I baked a bbe gusty's head in an electric oven (an attempt to make nbbe version), her head didn't melt, but she was super soft coming out.

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2012, 06:11:07 PM »
I've had good luck boiling sculpy rather than baking it--sounds crazy but it works! Bring a pot of water to a boil (enough water to dunk the whole pony) and put the pony in. Might need a weight of some kind to make the pony sink so all the sculpy is completely underwater. After 10-15 minutes the sculpy will harden and no putting the pony in the oven required! The heat from the boiling water bakes the sculpy.

I used to do this with leather belts, I would use sculpy to sculpt a fancy buckle on the belt, and obviously couldn't put the leather in the oven to harden the sculpy lol. A pot of water is a good alternative!
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2012, 08:34:48 PM »
o___o i never bake my sculpied customs at higher then 170, i dont know if it would make a difference for hair, since my customs dont usually have very thick parts of sculpy, but that temp just seemed VERY high. Im so sorry it got melted >__<
:heart: My Sales Thread :heart:
Toola Roola Avatar by Pikashoes!

keikokukien

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2012, 09:01:08 PM »
I'm so sorry... I know that's disappointing...

But...Maybe turn her into Phantom of the opera? Or zombie baby like someone has said. Then she could have a home at the very least and hey, maybe she'll turn out really cool. Mistakes happen, but you can still make something awesome. I make a lot of clay figurines and if you decide to do something prosthetic with her and make her into something else, the air-dry clay would probably be better for your situation. Good luck, deary

Offline PrincessNikki

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • dressed like a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2012, 09:41:24 PM »
Nooo!! Don't throw her away!

So she's just a little melted! It's still good  it's still good!

Offline Ligress

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart! (art is not updated but I am active to respond there!)
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2012, 10:11:39 PM »
I think I would bury it.... =(
 Its what my mom did to a childhood pony I wrote all over with pen ( not just a little....)
when she gave me the non-specific instruction to write my name on the pony so it
 wouldnt get stolen o_0 An hour of scrubbing later it was way worse and got a pony burial 
so I apparently would be consoled that it was in a better place @_@
~ Have facebook? Selling or buying a custom pony, vintage toys  or pony extras?~
* MLP Extras for sale **http://www.facebook.com/groups/CUSTOMPONIES Vintage Toys BUY SELL TRADE *
Avatar Icon by L Correia My Ponysona Ligress

Levengale

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2012, 10:16:35 PM »
Oh no! I agree with truevampiress, though. I think most people put them in the oven somewhere around 200-210 F and just leave them in there longer.
You can also boil them, but I've heard that if it's too thick the clay will fall apart.
It's also been suggested to me to line the baking sheet with aluminum foil before putting the pony on it. Of course, I haven't used sculpey on a pony yet, so I couldn't tell you any of these things for 100%.  ^^;

Offline PinkRosedust

• Trade Count: (+117)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • How bout i do anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2012, 10:36:57 PM »
Ohhhh, poor little pony. =( Would it be horrible of me to say that I'm actually relieved that it's a BBE and not a 'normal' pony? I mean, there seems to be a lot of poor condition and/or unwanted BBEs to go around... :lookround:

Better luck next time...
MLP sales Here Jewelry on Etsy Vintage toys on Etsy Toys and things on ebay

FlyingPonyMonster

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2012, 10:45:31 PM »
Oh noez poor pony!!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal