collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Show off your thrift store ponies & stories!  (Read 15295 times)

Offline Cool.Breeze

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Show off your thrift store ponies & stories!
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2012, 10:16:14 AM »
At a second hand store I go to frequently, but never find ponies at, I found one of the G1's on my most-wanted list :D Last weekend after digging through tons of old toys I found... Starswirl! Her hair needs some major TLC and she's got a few marks to touch up, but I'm still thrilled with her :) I smiled the whole day through after getting her for less than a buck :heart:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline rtattles

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+39)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Rtattles' Blog
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2012, 10:31:22 AM »
Ponies are so rare 2nd hand these days. I rarely find anything, and even if I do, people want $10 for a grubby pony because it's "vintage"!

Inventorising my collection @ http://rtattles.wordpress.com/
Formerly known as DebonaireThundercloud

Offline relcelestia

• Trade Count: (+107)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Argie Obsessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2012, 12:28:25 PM »
ok as i said earlie , i rarely go pony hunting at thrift stores... just never seems to be a good place to find ponies.. but here are some highlights of my pony treasures found at the swap meet!!!

found these all for $1 each!

the following 8 photos were all from one seller in one day... total cost:$20!! :shocked:

her for $.25

found her for $1

found her for $3... TWICE :blink:

also got her for $1... TWICE :shocked:

found her for $10

the following 8 photos were all from a garage sale advertised on Craigslist.. all for $40 :P

« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 04:32:11 PM by relcelestia »
HEY [you]! Sell me your Argies! :dribble: Wishlist

Click HERE to see my 125 Argies!

kmlv23

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2012, 12:48:55 PM »
wow relcelestia, that's quite the load! Well done! I personally can't justify that kind of money, but hopefully one day when I'm financially stable, I can. :)

Offline relcelestia

• Argie Obsessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2012, 12:52:48 PM »

wow relcelestia, that's quite the load! Well done! I personally can't justify that kind of money, but hopefully one day when I'm financially stable, I can. :)
im not sure what you mean... these ponies were less than $1 each....
i sold all of them so i actually made $... like 10-50 times what I paid for them
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 01:07:25 PM by relcelestia »

kmlv23

« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2012, 01:31:07 PM »

i sold all of them so i actually made $... like 10-50 times what I paid for them
Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. I usually keep the one's I find, unless I decide against them for one reason or another. And the three white G1's you found, with the flowers as their cutie marks, you said you spent $20 on. I was just expressing my desire to be able to do the same, but when I'm buying, I try not to jump the single digit dollar mark.
EDIT: Just expressing my jealousy over your wonderful ponies. :( Sorry if I offended you...I seem to be doing that a lot lately...
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 01:53:39 PM by kmlv23 »

Offline nearlyheadlessnayy

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2012, 01:33:18 PM »
my god is that a soft sleepy newborn?
Ultimate grail! So jealous!
*Thanks Tinrobo for my avatar! <3**

Offline relcelestia

• Argie Obsessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2012, 02:29:50 PM »

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. I usually keep the one's I find, unless I decide against them for one reason or another. And the three white G1's you found, with the flowers as their cutie marks, you said you spent $20 on. I was just expressing my desire to be able to do the same, but when I'm buying, I try not to jump the single digit dollar mark.
EDIT: Just expressing my jealousy over your wonderful ponies. :( Sorry if I offended you...I seem to be doing that a lot lately...

Post Merge: January 25, 2012, 02:30:44 PM

oooohhh hahahahahah!!!  Noooo, the $20 was for allllll 8 photos underneath that!! I would not spend $20 on 3 birthflower ponies either haha! Iknew there was something I was missing ^_^

kmlv23

« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2012, 02:42:28 PM »

Post Merge: January 25, 2012, 02:30:44 PM

oooohhh hahahahahah!!!  Noooo, the $20 was for allllll 8 photos underneath that!! I would not spend $20 on 3 birthflower ponies either haha! Iknew there was something I was missing ^_^
Ohhhhh ok my bad. haha.

Offline StarDragon

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I'm a My Little Pony mommy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2012, 07:27:05 PM »
So much fun to read all of your posts!! WOW, TAF Buttons, Mimic, Baby Dancing Butterflies.... -sigh- This is getting me pumped up for tomorrow. XD I am trying to tell myself that it will be OK if I do not find any ponies....

Offline Princess-Sparkles

• Princess pony from Aus
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Mimic expert. ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2012, 08:47:10 PM »
I really haven't looked many times in thrift stores for ponies, but the few times I have looked I usually find something..... so many many fakies, too many to bother bringing home now...... I have found a few G3s & G3.5s & Breezies & a few plush, & Barbie horses & Bratz ponies, and recently the twist & twirl hair salon thing, it didnt have Daffidazy with it, but was only $2 and my kids love it.   I have only ever found 1 G1, it was a Bowtie, but since I already had a Bowtie in my herd I sent her to a pony friend who had recently sent some other ponies to me.
The worst thrift store around here is the one called Goodwill, they had McDonalds ponies marked as $1 each OMG! and an empty (yes I said empty) bottle of MLP bubble bath marked as $2, so i don't even bother going there anymore, if they ever had G1s in there they would probably be marked $50 each LOL!

OMG are you serious, I am very sad to say that I work at Goodwill after reading that. What Goodwill was selling that??? Either way it's in Adelaide so it mean that it came from our factory warehouse. The guys do all the hard ware which mean the toys. Clearly they aren't very good. :/ Because everyone knows that I collect My Little Pony if anyone finds anything to do with it they give them to me. I did get two of my Childhood ponies back though. Problem is, I take the G3's becuase I've been told unless they're mint they'll get thrown out.

I have alot of ponies that I have found from the markets and at work. I'll have to wait until I get home to post a photo of them.
Thank you SDS for my Princess Sparke avatar and thank you Shenanigans for my signature. ^_^
~My want list

Wanted: Baby Cotton Candy and Bowties with bad hair and hair cuts. :)

Offline Rhini

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • MOC Mimic
  • In Ponyland, all the food is poison!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2012, 11:51:23 AM »
I never seem to have any luck whatsoever, apart from when I formally decided to start collecting. I found a bag with Retro Cotton Candy and Butterscotch (in my sales thread and en route to Ireland for lilcutiepie, respectively) Bumbleberry and Sno-Glo. After that...nothing. I found a large baby, not quite sure who, but she closed her eyes when her head turned and seemed to be wearing pajamas and two playsets at a Value Village near me, but didn't buy them. However, a friend of mine visited that same Value Village once and brought me back a bag with G1 Flutterwings Lily (newly up in my sales thread), G1 Rattles and Tattles and G3 Garden Glade! I was very pleasantly surprised, and quite often wish I could have similar luck!

Good luck looking- thrift stores are so touch and go.

It's probably because I'm getting there first! :P I check both Value Villages (Fenton and Shrewsbury) fairly religiously. That poor ugly walking pinkie has been there forever. So far I've found 6 G1's and lots of other generations between the two stores.

Almost all of my 200+ ponies are from thrift stores/flea markets, so I will spare posting them haha.
SO IT WAS YOU!!!!! lol jk. Wanna be friends? I'll prolly be there tomorrow.
Muahah  :lol:  We really need to organize a meetup or just get coffee or something, I know of at least 4 other people in this area and a few more in the surrounding counties. Put it on our new years resolution list!

I avoided value village yesterday, since it was the last Wed of the month which means half off and everything gets wiped out in an hour x.x

I had some great finds yesterday, will post pics when later when I get around to taking them!

megt19

« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2012, 01:18:02 PM »
I really haven't looked many times in thrift stores for ponies, but the few times I have looked I usually find something..... so many many fakies, too many to bother bringing home now...... I have found a few G3s & G3.5s & Breezies & a few plush, & Barbie horses & Bratz ponies, and recently the twist & twirl hair salon thing, it didnt have Daffidazy with it, but was only $2 and my kids love it.   I have only ever found 1 G1, it was a Bowtie, but since I already had a Bowtie in my herd I sent her to a pony friend who had recently sent some other ponies to me.
The worst thrift store around here is the one called Goodwill, they had McDonalds ponies marked as $1 each OMG! and an empty (yes I said empty) bottle of MLP bubble bath marked as $2, so i don't even bother going there anymore, if they ever had G1s in there they would probably be marked $50 each LOL!

OMG are you serious, I am very sad to say that I work at Goodwill after reading that. What Goodwill was selling that??? Either way it's in Adelaide so it mean that it came from our factory warehouse. The guys do all the hard ware which mean the toys. Clearly they aren't very good. :/ Because everyone knows that I collect My Little Pony if anyone finds anything to do with it they give them to me. I did get two of my Childhood ponies back though. Problem is, I take the G3's becuase I've been told unless they're mint they'll get thrown out.

Yes, it is true, the Goodwill at Christies Beach is the one I am referring to.  I bet that empty bottle is still there, surely no-one would have bought it.  It was about mid December, I remember coz I was only out at Christies to have my pic taken at ServiceSA for my contractors license, and Goodwill is in the same building so I just popped in for a look.  They seemed to have a lot of clothes in there that are not actually secondhand, they have tags on them from other stores, I suppose they are some kind of old stock or factory seconds, but they are not exactly cheap like you would expect from this kind of store.  I should have looked at the prices on other toys in there for comparison, I will if I'm out that way again.  But for MLP comparison I went across the street (and down a bit) to the Salvos there & got a bag full of 8 MLP (G3 & Breezies) for $4.

kmlv23

« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2012, 01:29:24 PM »
I never seem to have any luck whatsoever, apart from when I formally decided to start collecting. I found a bag with Retro Cotton Candy and Butterscotch (in my sales thread and en route to Ireland for lilcutiepie, respectively) Bumbleberry and Sno-Glo. After that...nothing. I found a large baby, not quite sure who, but she closed her eyes when her head turned and seemed to be wearing pajamas and two playsets at a Value Village near me, but didn't buy them. However, a friend of mine visited that same Value Village once and brought me back a bag with G1 Flutterwings Lily (newly up in my sales thread), G1 Rattles and Tattles and G3 Garden Glade! I was very pleasantly surprised, and quite often wish I could have similar luck!

Good luck looking- thrift stores are so touch and go.

It's probably because I'm getting there first! :P I check both Value Villages (Fenton and Shrewsbury) fairly religiously. That poor ugly walking pinkie has been there forever. So far I've found 6 G1's and lots of other generations between the two stores.

Almost all of my 200+ ponies are from thrift stores/flea markets, so I will spare posting them haha.
SO IT WAS YOU!!!!! lol jk. Wanna be friends? I'll prolly be there tomorrow.
Muahah  :lol:  We really need to organize a meetup or just get coffee or something, I know of at least 4 other people in this area and a few more in the surrounding counties. Put it on our new years resolution list!

I avoided value village yesterday, since it was the last Wed of the month which means half off and everything gets wiped out in an hour x.x

I had some great finds yesterday, will post pics when later when I get around to taking them!
I am totally in support of this idea. :D Dang I was going to go the other day...glad I didn't, with the Wednesday thing I suppose. haha. Just let me know if a meetup happens. I'd love to be there. :)

Offline Flitter

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2012, 02:33:51 PM »
Wow relcelestia! Those are some amazing finds!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal