collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How come no one hates Snails?  (Read 19278 times)

Offline MintySocks

• Singing Artsy Fartsy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
How come no one hates Snails?
« on: January 24, 2012, 12:00:49 AM »
I'm just wondering because there's such controversy over :muffin: Pony and how she mocks the deaf or the mentally ill, or how she's only there for the bronies. 
Soooooo...
Why no controversy about Snips and Snails, especially Snails? Did anybody see the "Boast Busters" episode where not only are they both FULLY as idiotic as :muffin: Pony, but there's a bit where they're slightly making fun of Canadians! And let's talk about the names, which come from the old saying that girls are made of "sugar and spice, and everything nice," and boys are made of "snips and snails and puppy dog tails." How come nobody's yelling about gender discrimination?

Not trying to be a pot-stirrer, but I just can't figure out why some stupid characters are OK, but others aren't.

Offline StarDragon

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I'm a My Little Pony mommy...
    • View Profile
Re: How come no one hates Snails?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 12:12:24 AM »
I didn't realize there was so much controversy over :muffin: Pony Hooves. She just seems like the type of silly character than any cartoon might have.

Bag of Magic Food

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 12:12:43 AM »
If you want my honest opinion, the show has never been good at writing "dim" characters, and if that's all :muffin: Pony is going to be, then they ought to lay off using her altogether.

Offline TickledPink

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 12:23:52 AM »
Some people just need to find things to be angry about. I think people just need to chill.
The weirdo formally known as ImmortalPanda

Offline hlbmlp

• Trade Count: (+27)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 12:43:25 AM »
i believe it has to do with her name; :muffin: Pony, which comes from herpy :muffin: Pony, herp derp and originally hurr durr, which was first used in the show South Park to make fun of kids with disabilities.  A lot of people take offense to it because they have personally been made fun of with the name or know someone who has.  It is basically the sound effect that goes with the steryotipical face and actions of a person with down syndrome.

i personally love all of these characters dearly. i just know people who have been offended by :muffin: Pony's name. 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 06:46:17 PM by hlbmlp »
My Etsy . My Blog

If i owe you feedback pm me, my brain is not always here.

thanks kiwisquirtbottle for helping with codes!!! <3

Online Minty_Magic

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 01:56:47 AM »
Some people just need to find things to be angry about. I think people just need to chill.
I agree, people get so worked up over EVERYTHING anymore. it's ridiculous. :l
There have been characters far dumber than :muffin: Pony in cartoons before and I never saw anyone flip out over them. Of course then again I'm not all that involved with other shows, but still, I can't find anything to be THAT mad about. I don't think "derp" even refers to retardation anymore, if it ever did. I feel it's generally just associated with crazy, wall eyed expressions.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you to Squarepeg for my avatar!

SuniMoon

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 02:18:12 AM »
Actually, the first use of derp, while it was in South Park... was Mr. Derp, if I recall... http://www.myspace.com/video/mambo/mr-derp/7186744

So, their first use of derp... Is pretty much what the word derp is today.
There have just been other forms inbetween.

Anyway, I think most people are getting their knickers in a twist because she's catering to bronies, and not so much the supposed fact that she's "speeecial"... I think that is more a way to justify being upset over her.

I'm on the fence a little, because I think they MIGHT push :muffin: Pony over the line, and in bad writing territory... But I actually like that they're paying attention to the bronies. They're still a part of the fanbase, and I like it when writers pay attention to their fans.

Now, catering PURELY to them would be wrong, but... Why get worked up over this when we've been inching our way up to a :muffin: Pony appearance for awhile... She's been in the background eeeverywhere for awhile, and we know THAT was catering to the bronies.

I thought she was cute.

I dunno. I think we need to drop the controversy...
It's just making a normally fluffy and happy area of the arena a little too... harsh... :/

I agree, though... I think Snails was a lot more on the generic HURR DURR side of things than :muffin: Pony was... but nobody seems to think it's a reason to not want kids watching the show.

Like I said... I think bronies are the main issue people are taking.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 02:21:41 AM by SuniMoon »

Offline Pythia

• Trade Count: (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 02:49:20 AM »
Because 'snails' isn't an insult used to refer to disabled people, Snails doens't have mismatched eyes, and Snails doesn't talk in a mocking parody of many disabled people's voices. And Snails isn't portrayed as being oblivious, breaking everything he touches, and to annoying to be around.
Looking for: Alternate Birthflowers, Baity wingers, So softs - both minty and for deflocking - and DREAM BEAUTIES!

Offline Lyra

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 03:20:43 AM »
I think it is more 'expected/accepted' to have goofy man characters in media who are lovable (and FORGIVEN) for their shortcomings - but women are expected to be perfect?
Homer Simpson - lovable idiot, Marge - pretty much 'perfect' wife. Same in Family Guy and maaany other cartoons and sitcoms (rash foolish husband, sensible wife).
Daisy and Minnie - Perfect, but wheres is Mrs Goofy NOW? I know the older cartoons had more characters, but how popular are they now compared to the 'core' bunch we see everywhere now.

In what I observe from my personal experiences, family, academic and work it SOMETIMES feels like if mistakes are made by men, others MAY (not always) be more ready to forgive them 'cause their just men afterall' but women should know better because they are 'expected'  to be more sensible

I think girls should be allowed to be goofy and much as the male characters
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 03:22:46 AM by Lyra »
Lyra Silvertongue - not Heartstrings!

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 04:06:33 AM »
Because 'snails' isn't an insult used to refer to disabled people, Snails doens't have mismatched eyes, and Snails doesn't talk in a mocking parody of many disabled people's voices. And Snails isn't portrayed as being oblivious, breaking everything he touches, and to annoying to be around.

Pretty much this.

Its not so much that :muffin: Pony offends me that I feel she's an inappropriate character for a show aimed at young kids with how she's being portrayed.

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 06:55:34 AM »
Like others have said, it's a mix of things that make :muffin: Pony a questionable character.
Now again, i think i need to see more of :muffin: Pony to have an opinion of her. At this point i think she can go either way. But i can very well understand the problems people have with her. Again, it's the mix of her name, her eyes, behaviour, voice and the fact she is only in there as fan service. Frankly, i am one of those people that doesn't want to see fanfiction interfer with the show too much. I think her name will be painfully outdated/lame sounding in an x-amount of years.

Also i never liked Snips or Snails. But i never like any character who is just there to be dumb and mess things up. A character like Goofy is at least funny. Snips and Snails however are not.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 07:17:29 AM by Malicieuse »

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 07:07:51 AM »
Hmmm I must be only seeing people that like :muffin: Pony... Which, wasn't her name originally Ditzy Doo and fans started calling her :muffin: Pony Hooves? The only time I'm even seen her used in an episode and being called :muffin: Pony is the newest episode "Last Roundup". I think the only reason she was used was because of the fans. :muffin: Pony has a huge fan base o.o;

Personally I don't -care- for :muffin: Pony/Ditzy, Snips, and Snails :|
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 07:16:39 AM »
there's a bit where they're slightly making fun of Canadians!
Uh...I saw the episode and I don't remember anything about Canadians?

Also, I had thought Snails was based on the G1 of the same name, not the nursery rhyme.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 07:18:23 AM by Elisto »

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 07:27:58 AM »

Also, I had thought Snails was based on the G1 of the same name, not the nursery rhyme.
You're thinking about Squirmy. Snails has that pony's colors and symbol, I remember making a post about it a while back
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline MintySocks

• Singing Artsy Fartsy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 08:06:02 AM »

Here you go:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CanadaEh
Scroll down to the "Western Animation, Eh" folder and it's listed right there. I thought maybe I was the only one who noticed the accent but apparently a LOT of people have noticed. ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal