collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Trying to share FiM with friends...  (Read 5390 times)

Offline Lady.Arachnia

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I, Myself, am Strange and Unusual...
    • View Profile
    • Boutique Gothique, Very Unique Gothic & Fantasy Wear & Jewelry
Re: Trying to share FiM with friends...
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2012, 05:08:44 AM »
To be honest, my own experience with people saying they hate ponies, or they think it's stupid for anyone but a kid to like ponies... they're jealous that they feel that they can't openly admit that they like something while YOU can and do.
I have this with my fiance's mother and sister...they think i'm a childisch person... And deep down their harts they see her son/brother with a more "normal" person then me.... Who pop out baby's and work 24 hours a day live in a big bought house, wear only jeans and shirts and everything...
WRONG!!!! He love me for who i am and with al my strangeness, like ponies and being a Goth Girl! :-)
My best friend who collect perfume miniatures, so she understand the fun of collecting. And my parents know from the past i love ponies to pieces, when i was little!!!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you Artists for Itsy Bitsy Spider Pony! xxx

Offline ashes

• Forever Orange Site Mod
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2012, 05:19:29 AM »
My friends know I collect, but none of them are interested in collecting.  And that's just fine with me.  :)

thanks to jupi for my avi and harvestmoongirl for my siggy!

Check out my website: artbyashes.com

Offline gallifreyan_pony

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2012, 06:46:58 AM »
I'm sorry to hear that your friends are giving you grief about enjoying ponies, they really ought to respect you and accept that it's something you like even if they don't.

But I have to say, as someone currently on the receiving end of a friend's enuthusiasm for something I don't care for, that it's not much fun being badgered about how much you'll like xyz if only you give it a chance. Sometimes people just don't like stuff, nothing wrong in that.

Offline MintySocks

• Singing Artsy Fartsy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2012, 07:51:47 AM »
So sorry your "friends" are like this... :hug:  But it sounds like you could do without friends like that. Friends are supposed to love you no matter what, not tear you down!

I have gotten the occasional condescending comment like "why are you trying to buy back your childhood?" and "I liked my toys when I was a kid too, but you don't see me still playing with them..."  It hurts, because I feel like they don't get it and don't want to get it. I sort of wonder if they're right, like do I have maturity issues? But then who really cares. Everybody "plays" in their own way, that's why there's such a thing as Angry Birds, Wii, and don't get me started on all the collections people have that are supposedly so much more grown up.  Whatever.  Do what makes YOU happy, you are certainly surrounded here by people who have ponies in common!

Offline StarDapple

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Bah Weep Graaagnah Wheep Ni Ni Bong!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2012, 08:29:40 AM »
I honestly haven't had any trouble with people making fun of me or anything like that.  My friends all collect something, from Star Wars toys, to Tinker Bell, to stuffed animals, so I am in good company.

I did get my brother to like FiM though.  He didn't feel either way about ponies, they weren't his thing, but I was watching an episode one day, and he came to see what I was doing.  He ended up sitting down with me and watching it!  He isn't an avid fan or anything, but he does love Fluttershy.  He'll watch it on occasion with me.

So I would say, if you are trying to get your friends to try FiM, I would suggest to them to watch an episode.  If they try it, great!  If not, I wouldn't push it on them, because everyone has different tastes, and there's no reason to force your likes on them.  But most everyone I know who has watched an episode likes it.  :)

kmlv23

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2012, 09:42:40 AM »
So sorry your "friends" are like this... :hug:  But it sounds like you could do without friends like that. Friends are supposed to love you no matter what, not tear you down!

I have gotten the occasional condescending comment like "why are you trying to buy back your childhood?" and "I liked my toys when I was a kid too, but you don't see me still playing with them..."  It hurts, because I feel like they don't get it and don't want to get it. I sort of wonder if they're right, like do I have maturity issues? But then who really cares. Everybody "plays" in their own way, that's why there's such a thing as Angry Birds, Wii, and don't get me started on all the collections people have that are supposedly so much more grown up.  Whatever.  Do what makes YOU happy, you are certainly surrounded here by people who have ponies in common!
Oh my gosh, this a thousand times over!! I've been worrying that maybe being off my ADHD meds was screwing with my brain or something. That makes me feel a whole lot better. Thank you for sharing!

I would love to, but we don't have it on free to air tv over here, and I am not getting cable for one show lol. I would totally purchase the series and force friends to watch though if they release it on dvd :D
The friends of mine who do watch it, or more specifically the one who calls me Pinkie Pie and I, sit on his couch and watch it on youtube every Saturday night. :) He's going to buy both seasons on Itunes soon- I'll have to put away money, but I'll try to do the same. :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal