collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: STOP THE MONSTER HIGH SCALPING!!! (discussion)  (Read 12578 times)

Offline Bunny-san

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ponydex.com
Re: STOP THE MONSTER HIGH SCALPING!!! (discussion)
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2012, 09:43:34 AM »
I'm sorry. You can't blame scalpers for the problem when you get down to it. They are only responding to what they see as a high demand, high profit market. There is only a supply when there is a demand. If people stopped BUYING these dolls at the exorbitant prices that these idiots are demanding then the prices would drop because hey, no one is buying them at that price anymore. So, as my father has always said, things are only worth what you can get people to PAY for them. Stop PAYING for them and the prices fall. Your success will be two fold. You stop the scalpers, AND get your more sought after dolls at more reasonable prices. Simple economics, but  it is up to buyers and collectors to be smart about their purchases and not give in to these scalping schmucks.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you artists for my siggys!

Offline Alrak

• Wicked Pony of the West
  • Trade Count: (+29)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2012, 10:02:21 AM »
My rant was because of christmas here. Stores were empty, eBay was full.
Most of the people are loosing their jobs because of the "ghostly economic crisis". And scalpers tried to gain profit leaving kids without dolls. Oh, surprise, the dolls are not selling. People dont have money, dont you scalpers understand? *raises fist at air*.

Im not attacking any member here, thanks to generously amazing people here I got dolls and ponies otherwise I wouldnt be able to find^^. And I think the ultimate responsible is the buyer, because the info is out there, you know. But leaving stores literally empty, well, that's another story.

Repulsive333

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2012, 01:42:03 PM »
Bunny- I understand the economics of it... I also know that i have no reason to try and stop scalpers from what they are doing on other websites, because let's face it... IT isn't possible... I am just trying to make people aware that it is WRONG on a community such as the Arena. TO SELL AND TO BUY!
Besides, why can't they just not try and make a profit? The dolls aren't there for scalpers to make profit, they are there for children and collectors, WHOM are not getting the dolls that they want/need because people want to make a profit...

Alrak- *shakes fist with you...
I am not either, it is just a general thread of knowledge so that people know that they do not have to buy from scalpers and that they SHOULDN'T buy from scalpers... Also that people shouldn't be scalpers to their community/family...

Offline WickedWonderland

• Trade Count: (+215)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Okie Dokie Lokie
    • View Profile
    • Flickr - Pony Sales
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2012, 02:15:04 PM »
There was someone that was asking $40 for Cupid prior to the forum transfer. I don't think their topic carried over. But yeah - really? on a supposed community you're going to mark it up and charge 200% it's market price? She's hard to come by now, but she'll eventually flood the market.
That was me and I really don't see anything wrong with what I did. I went to a bunch of Walmarts every day until I found Cupid. That was a lot of effort and gas money. When I bought my Cupid there was an unopened box of Cupids. I could have easily taken the whole box and put them on ebay and made a bunch of money, but I didn't want to be greedy (much to my mother's disapproval because we are struggling financially), so I bought two. One for me, and one that I planned to list and it would either 1. sell and help pay for the cost of my Cupid/the gas I used looking for her or 2. wouldn't sell and she would be part of my MIB collection.

Either way, I don't feel like I was depriving anyone from getting her because I do intend to have a second Cupid (I was okay selling this one because I know I have lots of other MH dolls to look for in the coming months, so I'm confident I'll find another one when her demand is lower), so she could have stayed in my collection in the first place and if they didn't want to pay that much when they know as well as I do that they'll find her eventually, then they shouldn't buy her. Honestly, if I wasn't so picky I'd buy a MH doll I wanted for $40 because I spend way more in gas looking for them.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 02:28:08 PM by WickedWonderland »

Offline Filthy

• The Crazy Cat Lady
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2012, 02:43:08 PM »
Scalpers are the bane of my existence. Every time I go to Ebay, rage ensues. I have even thought about giving up on collecting all together because of not being able to find the dolls.v Mattel's poor distribution plus the scalpers is ridiculous.

I would never pay 30+ bucks for a doll that is supposed to be out on shelves.
In some countries, a single signature doll is retail $30 though...  :huh:
I understand what you mean by the more extreme mark-ups though.
Yeah, the signature dolls are $35+ over here. I've never seen a cheaper one (excluding DTs).
Thanks to Mandy85 for my avatar

Offline dIGITS

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2012, 03:17:37 PM »
That was me and I really don't see anything wrong with what I did. I went to a bunch of Walmarts every day until I found Cupid. That was a lot of effort and gas money. When I bought my Cupid there was an unopened box of Cupids. I could have easily taken the whole box and put them on ebay and made a bunch of money, but I didn't want to be greedy (much to my mother's disapproval because we are struggling financially), so I bought two. One for me, and one that I planned to list and it would either 1. sell and help pay for the cost of my Cupid/the gas I used looking for her or 2. wouldn't sell and she would be part of my MIB collection.

this makes sense to me- that you are putting her at that price, if she sells she sells but otherwise you'd rather keep her.  Sometimes i'll sell stuff at a higher price because i'm not willing to part with it for any less.

i also agree that scalping is generally a bad idea and there's no way to stop it.  There are people like you who have good personal reasons and then there are the majority... people who would have bought the whole box and worked on selling them on ebay.  also- props to you for speaking up and telling your reasoning.  <3

i've never paid more than retail price for a non-limited doll and don't see myself doing it in the future, but as long as there are people willing to pay the extra than there will be scalpers. 
actively seeking Takara pony fakies

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2012, 07:29:00 AM »
You may not be specifically attacking individuals, but at least one person was called out in a way that it was clear who they were. Obviously it was clear because WickedWonderland, who has been a member here for over 4 years and has had hundreds of positive transactions, felt that she needed to come here and defend herself. The people who have bought MH dolls from her were happy with the transactions, so why does it matter what price they were sold for?

And these are the kinds of words you are all using in a thread talking about people in our community: wrong, ridiculous, horrible, taking advantage, bane of existence, hate, unfair, schmucks, idiots

If you were someone who sold on this board, how would it make you feel to see your fellow community members throwing around words like that about you? Even if you don't intend those to be directed at anyone on this board, that is some really strong and hurtful language. We talk about it being a shame that someone doesn't "respect the community" enough to sell you things at a price you like, but how much of a positive community member are we being if those are the things we're saying about people?

Offline hannaliten

• Trade Count: (+292)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2012, 08:40:00 AM »
Honestly, if I wasn't so picky I'd buy a MH doll I wanted for $40 because I spend way more in gas looking for them.

AMEN!!! This is exactly why I ordered Operetta and Nefera from AD and have bought numerous dolls off of Ebay at a mark up. I simply don't want to waste gas and time looking for them in the store.

Everyone can charge what they want. If you don't like it, don't pay it.

Repulsive333

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2012, 09:24:30 AM »
WickedWonderland- I wanted to let you know that this thread wasn't directed at you at all and i apologize that some people pointed you out directly. I can very much so understand your reasoning as i know that when you are on the fence about getting rid of something, asking a higher price for it can be the deciding factor if it sells. I do not consider you to be a scalper at all. In fact i have purchased things from you at very decent prices and i do intend on doing so in the future. I adore you. <3

NoDivision- I am sorry that you feel like those words were directed towards the community members but that simply isn't true. Every negative word that is in this forum from me is directed toward scalping. I would never say an ill word about an individual. It is a matter of Principal not a matter of situation.  I cannot say the same for others unfortunately, but this is an issue that a lot of people are passionate about. ESPECIALLY because in this economy people are extremely poor and cannot afford to purchase a doll for over the retail price.  It isn't fair to them.  So people are going to be angry because they feel wronged. I am just giving them a place to Rant.
But i will edit the original post so that it states that no one is allowed to name individuals specifically, because you are right... That is not respectful of the community and that is the whole reasoning behind this thread.

I also would NEVER say anything negative about any member specifically, especially not someone that i have done business with... That is just bad form.

Also WickedWonderland you made me see that asking $40 may not be a bad price for a doll. Your words have persuaded me. lol. <3

I can now see why people ask $40... But i still think that anything over that just an attempt to make money on the less fortunate and that isn't right.

Offline SourdoughStomper

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • grain free and pain free
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2012, 09:42:02 AM »
This is just a gentle but firm reminder to be civil in this thread. Emotions seem to be running high, but please try to keep things in check. Thank you.
 Credit to Shaiyeh for avatar.

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2012, 10:20:20 AM »
Every negative word that is in this forum from me is directed toward scalping.

Except that you started this post saying that you want to stop scalpers on this Forum. This thread isn't just about people on ebay - this thread is about members of this community as well. How could we not take it as being directed here? That's what the whole thread is about! You are trying to tell people what they can and can't do on this forum - you're asking people to lower prices, you're telling them is it wrong of them to mark up prices on the arena, this is all directed at arena members. If you want to vent about scalpers on ebay, fine, but you made it about the arena. You made it about how people buy and sell here. And I don't think any of us have the right to do that. You preach about this being some kind of safe haven and then you turn around and tell people that their behavior is wrong and they they need to stop doing it. That is unfair, and very upsetting. How can something be a safe haven when a thread like this is started that sends such a negative message to those who are just trying to do business here?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 10:22:05 AM by NoDivision »

Offline Jadis4742

• Trade Count: (+124)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • All the shy pose ponies, please!
    • View Profile
    • Pretty Nerdy
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2012, 10:32:51 AM »
I motion to lock this thread. In any case, I won't be reading it any more. I find it very distressting and not productive at all.

Offline WickedWonderland

• Trade Count: (+215)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Okie Dokie Lokie
    • View Profile
    • Flickr - Pony Sales
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2012, 10:47:09 AM »
Awww no worries, Repulsive333. :hug:
I understand why people get upset with scalpers. If it wasn't for people picking up a bunch of extra dolls to sell they probably wouldn't be so hard to find in the first place. I just wanted to explain myself.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 10:50:12 AM by WickedWonderland »

Offline pop-girl

• Trade Count: (+140)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wix.com/mlppopgirl/pop-customs
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2012, 11:09:33 AM »
Locking
Love & Miss My Pony Peeps!  :lovey:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal