collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: STOP THE MONSTER HIGH SCALPING!!! (discussion)  (Read 12582 times)

Repulsive333

• Trade Count: (0)
STOP THE MONSTER HIGH SCALPING!!! (discussion)
« on: January 22, 2012, 11:50:05 PM »
Hello there. I hope that this is appropriate content (i hope it is, because this is an issue that needs to be addressed)

So this issue has happened time and time again but i feel like no one ever says anything or does anything on fear of being rude or getting in trouble... But i feel like this needs to talked about.
 So as all of us Monster High collectors have noticed, "Scalping" is a common thing that people do on Ebay & Amazon.
People will go out to retail stores, buy up the most wanted dolls and sell them on those websites for 200x profit.
 IT obviously isn't fair, but it is done and people ACTUALLY pay for it... Because let's face it... Some of us are addicted... LOL

There is obviously nothing that can be done about it on Ebay and Amazon because it is too open and free for anyone to do...
 BUT i feel like forums are my safe haven from all that greedy nonsense. WHICH it should be...
 Forums are full of your fellow collectors. People that share a love and need for dolls & ponies just as much as you. Why would you want to be greedy when it comes to them?
 I mean i totally understand getting maybe a few extra bucks for the effort of purchasing the doll and having to resell it...
 However selling on a forum for a 200percent profit or more is just wrong PERIOD! ESPECIALLY when it is on such a personal level as this.

I know that some of you that i see on this forum and some others are doing this and i beg you to stop. Because change begins with one person and YOU could be that person! <3

Please let us all make an effort to stop scalping.

EDIT- PLEASE if you feel the need to mention members on this forum directly or even vaguely, please DON'T... THAT is not what this thread is about and i would appreciate it if people discussing this issue use tact and respect.

Thank you and have a wonderful day!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 09:26:40 AM by Repulsive333 »

Tagi

Re: STOP THE MONSTER HIGH SCALPING!!! (discussion)
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 02:38:45 AM »
I have noticed here more overpriced than usual monster high for sale around lately, enough to get me irritated but not enough for me to be able to remember a thread off the top of my head. (other bst boards yes I can list a few, but we can't name them here, can we?).

Although most members here who would read this would do their bit by not buying from said scalpers who think $40 - $50 is okay for a new released non-limited anyway...I still support what you're saying here.

Nobody likes a dirty scalper. =D

Tyler

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 03:02:11 AM »
They just want to make money from people who collect them
It happen to most collectable items

Repulsive333

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 03:40:15 AM »
Tagi- Yeah i am glad for the people that aren't supporting it. Thank you for your part too! <3
 $50+ is ridiculous for non-limited dolls...

Tyler- Making money off fellow collectors is wrong, especially when the money being made is from scalping.

I mean i totally understand if something was $x amount of money retail and then went out of production and ended up being worth a higher amount later on... I Very much so KNOW how things can go up in value if they are limited edition.
I myself collect Ball Jointed dolls and i have a SOOM Limited Edition Amber. I paid $850 for her brand new and now she is worth $1500...
That is because there were only so many made in the world. Hence the term "limited edition"
I also know that the Wave 1 Clawdeen is now a hot item because she is extremely HARD to find...
But that doesn't mean that someone should be able to sell something that can be bought currently in a retail store at 200-300x the retail value.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 08:56:58 AM by Repulsive333 »

Offline PrincessNikki

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • dressed like a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 07:46:09 AM »
Scalpers are the bane of my existence. Every time I go to Ebay, rage ensues. I have even thought about giving up on collecting all together because of not being able to find the dolls.v Mattel's poor distribution plus the scalpers is ridiculous.

I would never pay 30+ bucks for a doll that is supposed to be out on shelves.

The stores should have a limit to one doll each per customer. If you need to buy an extra, bring a friend.

Offline CleverCanadian

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.AtasCosita.net
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 07:59:03 AM »
The stores should have a limit to one doll each per customer. If you need to buy an extra, bring a friend.

While I can't stand scalpers I think this is a bit extreme.  Nobody should be FORCED into a limit, not even scalpers.  The best way to keep people from scalping is to not buy the items they sell.  That's the best, and probably the ONLY way to get it to stop.

annukkainen

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 08:48:03 AM »
I've noticed this issue too. :( It's almost impossible to buy a decent priced MH dolls from Ebay nowadays. I would like to buy Cupid but the prices are ridiculous and I don't want to support scalping. Hope this thing will change.

Offline Alrak

• Wicked Pony of the West
  • Trade Count: (+29)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 08:59:41 AM »
Scalpers are the bane of my existence. Every time I go to Ebay, rage ensues. I have even thought about giving up on collecting all together because of not being able to find the dolls.v Mattel's poor distribution plus the scalpers is ridiculous.

I would never pay 30+ bucks for a doll that is supposed to be out on shelves.

100% agreed. This past christmas i've seen people with bags full of dolls almost running away and parents going crazy at stores because they cant find one single doll for their kids. Then on ebay is full of dolls at even 80 euro. That is evil.

Offline Akemi-chan

• Matcha-flavored Teeny Tiny
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+147)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Baby Pony Addict
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 09:14:20 AM »
Amen!  I think it's a bit harsh when the over pricing happens in the forums.  I understand free market and all, but when you interact with the people you're trying to overcharge it becomes a bit weird.  At least on eBay, the sellers are somewhat anonymous and you don't feel awkward about hating on them, lol.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 09:18:31 AM by Grassshackgirl »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Have you fan-girled today, [you]?
*For Sale or Trade*
*Wishlist*

Monsterelli

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 09:15:45 AM »
I completely agree.
I have a scalper who lives about 30 minutes away from me and it has effected my doll findings so much. I have yet to find any of the SS (except Ghoulia), 1600, Toralei and of course Nefera & Operetta. I've also only seen Abbey & Spectra one time and thats when I bought them. I'm sure other people are buying them too besides the scalper, but I know that he goes to my stores and that effects me and the other collectors & children in my area.
He even came onto a MH forum I belong to and posted a pic of like, 70 dolls that he got from our local stores.  :(

You try your hardest to resist inflated prices telling yourself that your patience will pay off. That sooner or later you will find them in the stores for retail price. But it can really become frustrating and depressing. I've never paid more than retail price and I never will, I don't have the funds to and it goes against my morals.  But it would really be soo much easier & nicer if we didn't have to deal with scalpers, especially from fellow collectors.

Offline barbgirl1999

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
    • www.facebook.com/barbgirl1999
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 09:48:24 AM »
I agree that scalping on a forum is just bad form...we're supposed to be a community, we're not supposed to be out to profit off of each other's want lists.  It's ridiculous for a person to over-charge a fellow collector, but then get all worked up when the same thing is done to them on another site.

I do think limiting doll purchases is extreme though.  That would mean that I couldn't help my fellow collectors out and purchase a doll for someone else that's having a hard time finding it.  Plus, what about collectors with kids?  I wouldn't be able to buy a doll for my own collection, as well as one for my child.  That's not the way to solve it either.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

~Rodan+Fields~

Repulsive333

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 10:51:28 AM »
PrincessNikki- I totally agree... Going on ebay makes me SOOO angry! lol. I try my best not to buy anything MH related off of there unless it is the retail price or better...

grasshackgirl- I TOTALLY AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU JUST SAID! LOL

Monsterelli- That is absolutely horrible i am SO sorry. I can only imagine how you must feel, plus those poor kids that don't get any monster high dolls... :( I know that at the Toys R Us near me there are little girls always upset because they cannot find any or we are completely out of stock. :(
Patience is a virtue especially at a time like this and with people like this... lol

barbgirl1999- That is the TRUTH!
It is a personal community, people should be taking advantage of each other. It is wrong.
That is true about the limitation...
Limiting dolls would cut down on Scalping and it would make things a lot easier for the single collector. But for people with children and a community to provide for it could be quite difficult.
I just wish Mattel would work out there HORRIBLE distribution practices... lol

GhouliaRules

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2012, 11:24:19 AM »
There was someone that was asking $40 for Cupid prior to the forum transfer. I don't think their topic carried over. But yeah - really? on a supposed community you're going to mark it up and charge 200% it's market price? She's hard to come by now, but she'll eventually flood the market.

Repulsive333

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2012, 11:34:48 AM »
I saw that as well...

But i agree... this is a community, please don't be disrespectful...
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 08:57:44 AM by Repulsive333 »

Dibbles

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2012, 12:19:01 PM »
I agree that limiting doll purchases is extreme. It's also probably not possible. Especially because scalpers pay for the dolls. And I doubt retail stores really care about scalpers, though I'm a Target employee and I sure do. I have never seen scalpers in my area though.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal