collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How do you display your collection?!  (Read 12604 times)

emera_lazzaly

• Trade Count: (0)
How do you display your collection?!
« on: January 22, 2012, 03:29:49 PM »
Hey everypony!

I've been cleaning up my old ponies and getting quite a few new ones and am trying to find the most efficient shelving to display them on. I don't want to spend too much money on a bookcase, but all of the bookcases I am finding only have 5 or 6 shelves. I've seen some collections displayed with two rows of ponies but I'm not sure what people are using to sit the second row of ponies on so they are being shown above the first row (if that makes any sense!!)

So I thought I'd ask you guys how you display your ponies! Feel free to post pictures of how you have them displayed and any recommendations you have! Thanks!! Looking forward to seeing your collections!

Offline kittybethy

• Trade Count: (+266)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Life is way to precious to spend it being cool!
    • View Profile
Re: How do you display your collection?!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 03:34:13 PM »
I have to store mine due to lack of space.

One day they will be out!

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 03:47:10 PM »
Mine are all on 3 shelves of a bookcase.  But I have a smallish collection.  My only picture is pretty old (about a year ago) and taken with my cell phone... and I've added about a dozen ponies since then.  But here it is!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

Offline EmberBright

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Disregard the Prologue - my blog about... um... everything
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 03:52:21 PM »
I use paperback books to make the back row higher up than the front. Then I cover the books and shelf with fabric or an old pillowcase so you can't see the books- they get distracting. Old VHS tapes would give a more consistent height. Or boxes- books were just what I had.

Disregard the Prologue

Offline stopxmotion

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Support independent film!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 03:56:51 PM »
Mine are in my window. I have wide window sills and a collection of only about 20 so it's perfect.
Two more little devils jumped over the wall.
Saying turn her out father, she'll murder us all.
To my fal-de-ral little law-day.

Offline dxgirly

• Trade Count: (+66)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 04:00:08 PM »
Most of mine are MIB G4's so they're all stacked up pretty efficiently in a big bookcase that was made for me when I was 12 or so. My loose ponies (only 7 of them?) are in various parts of my room perched on top of things.

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 04:01:37 PM »
Wherever they lay.

Not really, but it's almost like that. I have one large shelf just to ponies. Then ponies share two more shelves with books, and there are several in the living room too! XD
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline MoonStars

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 04:36:42 PM »
I have a couple things called "expand-a-shelf". They're a tad pricey ($12.99 at Ace Hardware), but they're nice 'n white, perfect size for ponies, and can expand to almost 24", so I use em for my favorites or where they're more visible, and pile up old VHS cassettes for others. :)

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 04:37:28 PM »
How many ponies do you have? How many do you plan on owning?

(I just mentioned these in another thread.) I've used a number of displays, and thus far my favorite is the ikea billy bookcases. Another collector highly recommended them, (Twinkler). Her collection looks just fantastic in them and she's pretty darn close to getting the entire US/Canada set.

I had one shelf set up at my old apartment. Held a large # of ponies. I like you can start with the basic bookcase, and "upgrade" later. (glass shelves, glass doors). So the expense doesn't have to be all at once. and, you can have nicer shelves later without buying an entirely new unit. (other display cabinets I was looking at/pricing came out to over triple the price of an upgraded billy, and you didn't have the option of buying extra shelves. -Price of a basic unit varies on finish chosen.)

Each shelf fits more then one row of ponies, but risers can be easily made. If you fit ponies tightly together and don't collect accessories a couple would do you for the entire US collection.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 04:39:11 PM by FantasticFirefly »

IIya

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 04:47:23 PM »
Mine are kind of runing out of room right now.  I'm going to buy a another bookcase once I make more room in my bedroom. Easier said then done.

G1's and g4's are on my closet shelf.  G3's have taken over almost a whole (small) bookcase that is stored in my closet. G2's are right next to my bed <3

I use paperbacks as risers and then organize by color. It's makes a nice rainbow effect.

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2012, 04:58:48 PM »
My ponies are out on display for the first time now  :)  I just bought a second hand display cabinet to put them in (just did a brag post about it and some new ponies I got to put in it actually! If you'd like to see it, check it out  ;) ).

It's not to everyone's taste, but I wanted my ponies contained together... partly to be displayed proudly, partly to keep them protected (I have two young and very pony enthused girls!) and partly out of respect for my hubby too (I think he'd have a fit if ponies were spread throughout the house LOL).  The shelves were nice and deep, so I could fit two rows of ponies on each. We have been conveniently re-doing our deck, so I was able to raid decking off-cuts to create a little back shelf in order to see the back row of ponies. I was thrilled with out it turned out  :)

I think possibly however, the best part of any display, is actually making it! (which pony goes where... tidying her hair.... a little to the left... a little to the right.... THERE!)

Offline angel_rose

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+50)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2012, 04:59:19 PM »
Here are pics of my pony room
http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a243/ADeshotels/My%20new%20pony%20room%20November%2023%202010/

My G3 shelves are simply 1x6 boards mounted on shelf brackets. Very inexpensive. I made a back row by cutting pieces of stryofoam that I had.
Some of my G1s are stacked on shelf expanders bought at Walmart in the kitchen section. They have solid plastic ones that expand to fit the shelf and have 3 rows. They also have wire ones but they aren't as good. The ponies tend to fall down.
When I ran out of expanders I used the styrofoam again and whatever else I could find for risers as long as it doesn't damage the ponies. Some of my wall shelves are painted so I put paper under the ponies to protect them.

Offline magicminty_unicorn

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • my tumblr
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2012, 05:01:45 PM »
I have them all on my desk for now, well most of them, I saw someone here in the arena making a great tutorial for a two row stand for ponies, but I really dont remember who post it, anyway here is a pic of mine.

I\'m a my little pony daddy

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2012, 05:09:10 PM »
Angel_rose - I just checked out your photobucket.... Love the seaponies in the fish-tank!  ;)

Offline StarDragon

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I'm a My Little Pony mommy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2012, 05:12:14 PM »

Please excuse the messy photos... These were just put up above my bed (top photo is above my head, bottom photo along the side of the bed). This is where I will be putting my ponies, but they were just up, so no ponies on shelves yet!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal