collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Storing ponies?  (Read 4116 times)

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Storing ponies?
« on: January 22, 2012, 12:02:04 PM »
Hi.

I've got a quick question for all of you pony experts out there.  :)

I have to be out of the house for a couple of weeks while contractors repair our roof and refinish our floors and I want to store my pony collection.  What is the safest way to do so?  I probably have 100+ g1s, some in mint condition and I want to make sure that none of the chemicals hurt them.  Is a plastic bin okay?  Do I need to put anything else in there?

It will only be for a couple of weeks and I'm not worried about humidity - I just don't want to leave them out.  They will be placed in the garage or in storage.  So, what should I do to keep them safe?

Thanks!  :)
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline Ginger

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • TE Bright Eyes Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: Storing ponies?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 12:13:08 PM »
I really like under the bed containers because each pony can be stored standing and since it only fits one layer of ponies, there are none at the bottom to get crushed.

When I have enough ponies, I'm going to get several of those containers and just stack them. =)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Wanted | Flickr | Tumblr | PonyDex

Offline kittybethy

• Trade Count: (+266)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Life is way to precious to spend it being cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 12:37:35 PM »
I have several under the bed containers in my closet! They work really well!

Offline Oneleo1

• sounds like oreo
  • Trade Count: (+259)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • E-crater Oneleo1
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 02:56:37 PM »
plastic bins with tight fitting lids work well :)

I am not sure they have the little silicone packets in Mexico, but if they do I would add one in each bin you pack. The silicone packs are those little packets you often find in coat pockets in the stores when you go to buy the coat.

Do not put your ponies in baggies before you put them in the tub. It's not good for them. For any ponies that have hair that bleed the color (chartruse comes to mind) you could wrap the hair in a paper towel or some plastic to keep the color from bleeding onto the body of the pony.

Honeycomb and Surprise come to mind for ponies whose hair can leave stains on their bodies. Confetti is another one.
Man who wear lampshade on head is bright!

*** Want List *** My Trade/Sale Page *** Rehairs & Deflock Services available. PM me for details :)

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 03:23:16 PM »
I am a NM collector. Since you say garage- folding sandwhich bags (they'll breathe). You can even hole-punch additional holes in the bags. Heaviest/hardest ponies at the bottom of the bin. standing in rows. Be careful arranging them, so as to not mess up hairstyles. Once you have a layer, cover with a few sheets of bubblewrap and start the next layer.

Be careful with sosofts. I'd wrap them individually, and lay them at the very top. Poor dears get indents in their flocking so easily.

Offline Oneleo1

• sounds like oreo
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • E-crater Oneleo1
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 03:35:53 PM »
The bubblewrap layer is a great idea! :)

*** Want List *** My Trade/Sale Page *** Rehairs & Deflock Services available. PM me for details :)

Offline InsigniaEclipse

• G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 03:40:30 PM »
I wrap mine in that white tissue paper you use in gift boxes.  Works well for mine when i have to store mine for long periods of time.
Looking for variant Windys!  Peru, loose Greek, French (Not the French Blue-got her THANKS AGAIN Mel!!), True UK White with BLUE symbol, and Ice Crystal.  Please PM me if you have any available! Thanky :D

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 04:41:43 PM »
The bubblewrap layer is a great idea! :)

Thanks! this is how I did the ones in long term storage. Keeps the poses nice, so you don't end up with legs smooshed etc.

Offline gazzy90

• Trade Count: (+97)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 06:47:20 AM »
Do not put your ponies in baggies before you put them in the tub. It's not good for them.

I have to ask, why aren't baggies good for ponies? I use them a lot.

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 07:08:11 AM »
Do not put your ponies in baggies before you put them in the tub. It's not good for them.

Well, technically they aren't good for the plastic because it needs to "breathe" and not exposing it to air can actually lead to the plastic breaking down... I use bags myself, with info cards inside about each pony, but I leave them open so that the air can still circulate. I have a part of my collection stored in those big, clear, plastic containers, and they work great! That's what I recommend, for a short time at least. (We're moving in a few months, so maybe I'll have more space for them in my new room.)

Offline Oneleo1

• sounds like oreo
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • E-crater Oneleo1
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 07:15:53 AM »
I wrap mine in that white tissue paper you use in gift boxes.  Works well for mine when i have to store mine for long periods of time.

If you use tissue paper, make sure it's acid free and white for long term storage. ;)

Offline hlbmlp

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 07:43:22 AM »
whatever you do DONT let someone else pack them or try to cram as many a possible in a cardboard box! especially on thier sides.  i was out of the country when my parents decided to move so my whole collection was packed that way! GAH!  a lot are now squashed and the legs messed up, hairdos ruined and paint actually came off of some onto others!  it was a complete mess and im still trying to fix them all up!  definitely have a bin of some sort that can hold weight in case someone decides to stack things (even for small periods of time) and have them standing with a good separator in between. just nothing heavy for that because it can bend and warp horns and ears depending on the pose. ^__^ Dont keep them near the construction either!  the dust and crap WILL creep into sealed plastic bins. I cant figure out how but it does!
good luck on construction.
My Etsy . My Blog

If i owe you feedback pm me, my brain is not always here.

thanks kiwisquirtbottle for helping with codes!!! <3

Offline gazzy90

• Trade Count: (+97)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2012, 08:38:11 AM »

Well, technically they aren't good for the plastic because it needs to "breathe" and not exposing it to air can actually lead to the plastic breaking down... I use bags myself, with info cards inside about each pony, but I leave them open so that the air can still circulate. I have a part of my collection stored in those big, clear, plastic containers, and they work great! That's what I recommend, for a short time at least. (We're moving in a few months, so maybe I'll have more space for them in my new room.)

Thank you, I didn't know that.

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2012, 10:05:01 AM »
whatever you do DONT let someone else pack them or try to cram as many a possible in a cardboard box! especially on thier sides.  i was out of the country when my parents decided to move so my whole collection was packed that way! GAH!  a lot are now squashed and the legs messed up, hairdos ruined and paint actually came off of some onto others!  it was a complete mess and im still trying to fix them all up!  definitely have a bin of some sort that can hold weight in case someone decides to stack things (even for small periods of time) and have them standing with a good separator in between. just nothing heavy for that because it can bend and warp horns and ears depending on the pose. ^__^ Dont keep them near the construction either!  the dust and crap WILL creep into sealed plastic bins. I cant figure out how but it does!
good luck on construction.

Oh my! I feel for you! How many did you have? I was absolutely frantic to the point I was staying up almost all night and getting maybe 2 hours sleep before work so -I- could be the one packing my ponies. I didn't have my entire collection there, but it still took me a month. (I mailed everything to my parents place in ON, before moving to ON myself.) My EX had (what would have been) two boxes of my stuff to pack. he lost all my pretty glass and feather christmas decorations I had bought on clearance the month before. and the other box was crammed with a jumble of stuff, of course things were broken.

Bags sealed up tight are really bad if they are in heat/humidity. you may even see condensation build up inside the bags. but either way it's a recipe for tailrust/mold if they are sealed tight in a non climate controlled area (some basements/garage/shed/attic). I never had a problem with bags, but mine were always stored in a place that maintained room temp and was dry and dark. a few years back I also added holes to the bags for good measure.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 10:12:17 AM by FantasticFirefly »

Offline hlbmlp

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2012, 03:48:36 PM »
Oh my! I feel for you! How many did you have? I was absolutely frantic to the point I was staying up almost all night and getting maybe 2 hours sleep before work so -I- could be the one packing my ponies. I didn't have my entire collection there, but it still took me a month. (I mailed everything to my parents place in ON, before moving to ON myself.) My EX had (what would have been) two boxes of my stuff to pack. he lost all my pretty glass and feather christmas decorations I had bought on clearance the month before. and the other box was crammed with a jumble of stuff, of course things were broken.

ughh i hate moving for this reason.  everything gets broken or lost... bleh

I had near 300 at the time but probably at least 50 or 60 of those were g3 mib. those didnt get it as bad.  some came out unscathed thank goodness! I dont know how the ringlets survived but they did!!! 
My Etsy . My Blog

If i owe you feedback pm me, my brain is not always here.

thanks kiwisquirtbottle for helping with codes!!! <3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal