collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Help Me Pick Paint Colors!  (Read 2659 times)

Offline RavenWolf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Help Me Pick Paint Colors!
« on: January 21, 2012, 07:25:22 PM »
As I mentioned in an earlier topic I'm going to be moving soon. I'm going from a tiny apartment to a large 3 bedroom house. The best part since the whole house needs to be repainted my future landlord told me I could pick out the paint colors!!! (as long as its not to dark) While I am super excited about it, it's also very intimidating as I've spent my whole life in white walled rental places. So far I've only been able to decide on the color of my bedroom. So I could use some whole house color scheme advice! Never having had the opportunity to paint before its tempting to go nuts with color, but I also want the house to look nice and flow together even though its an older house (built in the 1890's) with a kind of boxed in layout.

I need to decide room colors for:
~ Entry/hallway (dark wood - trim, doorways and hard wood floor)
~ Stairway and upstairs hall: Might need to tie in with the entry way color wise as the stairs start by the front door. The stair rail is dark wood, but all the doors/frames and trim upstairs can all be painted)
~ Living Room: off the entryway (dark wood - trim, doorways and hard wood floor)
~ Dining room: Off entry way (dark wood - trim, doorways and hard wood floor as well as darker wood paneling on lower part of wall up to chair rail)
~ Family Room: Off dinning room (dark wood - trim, doorways and hard wood floor)
~ Kitchen: Off of dinning room (doorway from dining room and the cupboards are all dark wood - all other trim, doorways and center island are currently white and can be painted) I'm kind of thinking maybe a nice country blue and white, or a soft pale yellow?
~ Half Bath off of Kitchen: Complete blank slate, as the walls, trim and sink cabinet need painting and the floor needs new linoleum which I get to pick as well. visitors can't see pics , please register or login

UPSTAIRS:
~ The upstairs bathroom: has a dark wood sink cabinet. The linoleum needs to be replaced as well so its pretty much a blank slate as well.
~ My Room: Leaning towards pale lilac with white trim  :)
~ My Daughters Room: She's trying to decide between pink and sky blue
~ And the Most important room color... THE PONY/craft room! (think I'm most excited about this room!)

Any advice, tips, or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Boldly going where no pony has gone before...

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
Re: Help Me Pick Paint Colors!
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 07:33:41 PM »
I love painting a new house.  Favorite part of moving.

There are many websites that have inspiration and can give you good ideas.  Here's a great one that I've been using: Benjamin Moore Painting Ideas

Also play around on http://www.colourlovers.com for palettes.  I use this website a LOT for many projects (even custom ponies.)

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 08:49:47 PM »
If it were my house, pink!!!! But for you, unless you are a pink addict too, it might be good to start looking around for various color schemes that you like and see how they might fit with your house.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 07:15:18 AM »
I've lived with white walls my whole life RavenWolf, I know how you feel. We've lived in our house for 4 years now and are slowly adding color.

Would suggest lighter colors in the hallways/entries/bathroom. Those areas are small, neutral earthy tones/light tones, (how much time are you really going to spend in them)?
If you've got specific colored furniture in your living room it's nice to use a color from that to accent your walls.
As for the pony room, I'd say go with your favorite color or a dual tone.
I'd say take your time a get some of those samples that you can stick on your wall. Paint is expensive, so you want to make sure it's a color you're going to be ok with for awhile.

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline kittybethy

• Trade Count: (+266)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Life is way to precious to spend it being cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 05:02:44 AM »
I would go with warm colors.  I live in a house with various colors of orange, sage green, beige, and brown.

I would love orange personally.

Offline Aflame

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 05:46:21 AM »
what about pony colours eg lounge light orange /yellow AJ room etc xaflame

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal