collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Another glimpse at Princess Cadence and Shining Armor ^^  (Read 31629 times)

Offline StarDapple

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Bah Weep Graaagnah Wheep Ni Ni Bong!
    • View Profile
Re: Another glimpse at Princess Cadence and Shining Armor ^^
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2012, 07:29:45 AM »
Cadence (according to wiki) means "music" ...

See, this is my OCD on words, and why I NEVER trust Wiki. Cadence actually does *not* mean melody or music. The proper dictionary definitionn of Cadence, according to Webster's Dictionary is:

Cadence (noun)
1. a. A rythmic sequence or flow of sounds in language.
    b. The beat, time, or measure of rythmical motion or activity.
2. a. A falling inflection of the voice.
    b. A concluding and usually falling strain; specifically: a musical chord sequence moving to a harmonic close or point of rest and giving the sense of harmonic completion.
3. The modulated and rythmic recurrance of a sound, especially in nature.
Example of use: The cadence of the drums keeps the soldiers moving in time.

Sorry, Journalism major here...the proper usage of words was drilled into our skulls, as retractions and the embarrassment of your publication was always something that was considered professional death XD So there you go, your vocabulary lesson and warning away from Wikipedia for the day ^^;

I was wondering where people were getting "music."  In the equestrian world, the word "cadence" is used when a horse is carrying itself in a well-contained, even-paced way.  According to localriding.com, "Cadence is shown in the trot and canter and is the result of the proper harmony that a horse shows when it moves with well marked regularity, impulsion and balance."  That's why I thought Princess Cadence would have something to do with dance.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal