collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Rarity's accent?  (Read 6714 times)

Offline Mermaid

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Rarity's accent?
« on: January 21, 2012, 12:03:15 AM »
So Rarity is my absolute favorite from the FiM Series. And I Tabitha is one of my all time favorite voice actors.

I am SO curious though as to what you would call her "accent". I just don't know what to call it! But I want to know it so bad!

Help me out? :)
Thanks to calico star for my avatar!

Offline Bellevi

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Rarity's accent?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 12:15:26 AM »
I would say that Rarity is meant to sound like Katharine Hepburn, which would be the Mid-Atlantic accent. It's the accent you hear in so many movies from the 40s and 50s.

You can hear Hepburn's voice here. She and Cary Grant were a pair of actors with very distinct voices. :lovey:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdrXmIB3Eco&feature=related
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 12:17:23 AM by Bellevi »

Offline ashes

• Forever Orange Site Mod
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 07:25:38 AM »
Listening to Rarity she does sound like someone who would be more comfortable on the East Coast (to me it seems much more of a "formal" area than the West Coast).
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

thanks to jupi for my avi and harvestmoongirl for my siggy!

Check out my website: artbyashes.com

Offline kittybethy

• Trade Count: (+266)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Life is way to precious to spend it being cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 07:47:42 AM »
She is very formal, but I love the way she talks! :)

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 08:00:46 AM »
With hint of Canadian!

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 11:13:46 AM »
Yes, it's called the Mid-Atlantic or Trans-Atlantic accent and it's sort of a hodgepodge between an English accent and an American one. It can be learned naturally by spending time in both countries, or taught, as it commonly was in the '40s in the acting industry and at boys' schools. (This is why it's sometimes called a "boarding school accent.") It's less common today, though still used occasionally, as in Rarity's case.

Also, what I would give to take lessons in this. My accent is too Midwestern USA and while neutral, it sounds a bit boring to me.

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 02:56:00 PM »
Wow, I was never aware of any of this Rachel-eyes, thanks for this interesting info :)
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 05:18:30 PM »
I'm glad I read this thread--this was something I wondered about myself!
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Bunny-san

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ponydex.com
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 06:32:53 PM »
I definitely always think of Audrey Hepburn when I listen to Rarity....Just watch Breakfast at Tiffany's one day, and you'll TOTALLY hear Rarity's vocal roots in there, DAHLING. :silly:

Thank you artists for my siggys!

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 10:12:14 PM »
:heart: Audrey Hepburn!  And :heart: Katharine Hepburn and Carey Grant too!!!  I love old movies  :)

It's such a glamorous accent  :)

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

kmlv23

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 11:34:10 PM »
Yes, it's called the Mid-Atlantic or Trans-Atlantic accent and it's sort of a hodgepodge between an English accent and an American one. It can be learned naturally by spending time in both countries, or taught, as it commonly was in the '40s in the acting industry and at boys' schools. (This is why it's sometimes called a "boarding school accent.") It's less common today, though still used occasionally, as in Rarity's case.

Also, what I would give to take lessons in this. My accent is too Midwestern USA and while neutral, it sounds a bit boring to me.
Awww. As a native of the area, midwestern USA is my favorite. :) Though I have been known to adopt an Irish one for a change of pace and to confuse people. :3

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2012, 11:49:50 PM »

Awww. As a native of the area, midwestern USA is my favorite. :) Though I have been known to adopt an Irish one for a change of pace and to confuse people. :3

I guess I shouldn't really say boring... I don't dislike it at all, but it's just what I'm used to, since I've lived in the area all my life and that's the accent that tends to be on tv and radio. I get really excited whenever I hear a different accent, because if there's anything I love more than ponies, it's linguistics!

I'll bet your Irish accent is amazing. xD

kmlv23

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2012, 12:32:40 AM »

I guess I shouldn't really say boring... I don't dislike it at all, but it's just what I'm used to, since I've lived in the area all my life and that's the accent that tends to be on tv and radio. I get really excited whenever I hear a different accent, because if there's anything I love more than ponies, it's linguistics!

I'll bet your Irish accent is amazing. xD
Makes sense to me! Yeah I'm Chicago born, st. louis raised, so i understand. ;) Nah my Irish accent ends up cominf out more Scottish than anything weirdly enough, though most people cant tell the difference. ^_^"

Linguistics is a really legit interest. :) do you study it or is it just for fun?

Offline Mermaid

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2012, 12:57:06 AM »
Thanks all for the replies! I want to acquire this accent for myself! I can't help but to looove it!
Thanks to calico star for my avatar!

Offline Lyra

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2012, 01:29:34 AM »
She makes me think of Audrey Hepburn, I think her accent is 'old-fashioned' and not much heard today (which is a shame because it is really lovely)
Lyra Silvertongue - not Heartstrings!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal